Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 First Edition
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I traipsed through UTC Mall in San Diego around closing time last night, and lo and behold, the Vinfast store is open. I didn't get around to snapping a photo until after they closed and switched off the lights, but this is real.
Is anyone looking at or cross hopping Vinfast? On paper both models look well put together.
Fixture Door Font Gas Facade

·
22 Posts
A subscription for the battery? I am not so sure about that one. I suppose some will be comfortable with it, but I guess I am old fashioned in that respect. I will gladly rent music and videos, I can deal with renting software, but for me the battery of an EV crosses some kind of line. 🙃

·
1,209 Posts
A subscription for the battery? I am not so sure about that one. I suppose some will be comfortable with it, but I guess I am old fashioned in that respect. I will gladly rent music and videos, I can deal with renting software, but for me the battery of an EV crosses some kind of line. 🙃
Me, 15 years ago: "A subscription for music? I am not so sure about that one. I suppose some will be comfortable with it, but I guess I am old fashioned in that respect. I will gladly rent videos, but for me renting music crosses some kind of line"

Me, today: Exactly what you just said.

Me, in 15 years: Probably renting the battery in an electric VW ID.26 Aero flying car that otherwise would cost more than my house is worth... :)

·
812 Posts
You can pay extra and purchase it in the next few years You can also lease a smaller battery and then buy a larger one in a couple years. The battery purchase option is not yet available, but will become available in a couple years.

·
22 Posts
I was thinking about this a little more and I am just not seeing how it pencils out as a benefit for the consumer. My understanding is that in the USA the battery of an EV has to be warrantied for 8 years minimum (10 years in California). In the Vinfast model, that represents $10,560 to $13,200 of monthly payments for the cheapest vehicle for essentially the same service "contract". On their website they purport that one of the benefits is you don't pay for the battery upfront so the vehicle is cheaper to buy, but the cheapest model STARTS at over $40k and if you want to compare apples to apples you need to add the minimum 10k of battery rental fees. Doesn't seem like it will be much cheaper from that standpoint.
It you look at a more average use case, say five years of ownership, you might have a slightly lower overall cost, except that this rental model might really impact resale value. Vinfast says that purchasers of 22 and 23 models will "enjoy" permanent subscription rates for the duration of their ownership, but what about the second owner? Will they significantly raise the subscription rate since Vinfast is covering an older and higher risk battery pack for them? And even if they don't change the rate, the battery rental fee becomes a much more significant part of the monthly cost for those financing a used car.
Oh man, so many questions! What about getting a loan, who owns the battery? And insurance? And what happens if you miss a battery payment?
This will be very interesting to see play out!

·
191 Posts
There also seemed to be a max number of charges per month. I don’t know if that’s included as part of the price or a limit on how many times you can charge the battery per month. Something about all of this just doesn’t sound right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts