Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m still waiting for my order of my ID 4 pro S in blue however I was kicking around the idea I’m getting this car vinyl wrapped in a different color. When I first saw the car I was a little disappointed with the selection of colors and the blue was the only way to go and didn’t think of there being an option for red. I currently own a Prius prime in that advertise bluish turquoise and I love that color. If you would vinyl wrap your car what color would you choose? Does anybody know of any good vinyl wrappers in San Diego? Has anybody ever vinyl wrap their car before?

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue Somewhere on the Gulf?
386 Posts
Hokie Maroon with an orange pinstripe or perhaps orange "hockey stick".

I got a quote for a wrap in Valencia (Los Angeles) for ~$4000 for basic wraps.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
780 Posts
estebin, If there isn't a high quality wrap outfit in San Diego (and there more then likely is) then a jaunt north to Orange County and the Mecca of all things automotive modding/restoration should well suit you (Huntington Beach area in particular). The nice thing about wraps, in addition to base paint protection, is that if you tire of same down the road apiece relatively easy to remove.

"Mexico Blue" is particularly appealing. :)

Do let us see if/when you do same. (y)

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This photo was provided by VWDriver53 on another thread but shows the possible beauty of a vinyl wrap on the ID 4. Apparently these were test drive cars by VW with the unique wrap. I think they look amazing and would love this wrap.
76BB3461-07F8-4D5C-99B9-B213F8196CB1.jpeg

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
533 Posts
The wraps were cool, here is the wrap in green that was at my test drive. The wraps were great but it would have been nice to see the cars in the colors available for sale for people who are on the fence on which color to buy.

Reactions: markos8

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The wraps were cool, here is the wrap in green that was at my test drive. The wraps were great but it would have been nice to see the cars in the colors available for sale for people who are on the fence on which color to buy.

View attachment 2281
Ohhhh that one is nice too, do you happen to have other different angle shots of this wrap color?

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
533 Posts
Ohhhh that one is nice too, do you happen to have other different angle shots of this wrap color?
Sorry, that was the only picture I took of the car.

·
ID.4 FE Blue
100 Posts
Color is obviously important to people. So why not offer 40 different colors and let people pay extra if they want it?

·
202 Posts
Color is obviously important to people. So why not offer 40 different colors and let people pay extra if they want it?
Choice increases cost (and complicates things for the buyer). If you now have to stock 40 different colors, and plan when to do runs of certain colors because it's not as simple as doing one car per color on an assembly line, suddenly your supply chain and production costs increase while also causing delays to customers.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
614 Posts
Ok I am really liking these wrap colors, I wonder if they have a wrap in that turquoise changing color blue. That would be my ideal color wrap. Did anyone ask if these would actually be offered by VW or dealers? I am sure it will cost a small fortune.
If I wanted a wrap, I would go to a place that specializes in such a thing, and not even ask the dealer.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue Somewhere on the Gulf?
386 Posts
If I wanted a wrap, I would go to a place that specializes in such a thing, and not even ask the dealer.
But as I ponder the new world of dealership value add and this market of hyper personalization that we are living in, that would be an opportunity for dealers to specialize in and be competitive at, especially as EV's require less maintenance. They likely won't because they are not interested in change, but it would be a great opportunity.

·
84 Posts
This is exactly what VW did on the 2019 Golf R in the US and Canada. "VW Spektrum" was a $2,500 special-order-only option that let you pick one of 40 colors. It's my understanding that they sold very few (and the Golf R isn't exactly a high-volume vehicle to begin with). As someone at my dealer told me, "everybody says they'd pay extra for some cool colors, but given the chance almost nobody did."

Given the manufacturing complexity of running extremely short runs of that many different colors, I wouldn't be surprised if the $2,500 option price didn't even break even. Telsa charges $1,000 for three of their five standard colors on the Model 3, and red will set you back $2000.

Now, where do I sign up for my Harlequin ID.4?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts