Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When asked about a GTX version of the ID.3 hatch, VW's marketing boss Klaus Zellmer said "We’re constantly looking at possibilities to be consistent with everything we’ve done in the past. Rest assured, we’re looking into it. But there hasn’t been a decision made so far."

If it happens, here's what we can expect.

"Now if VW does give the ID.3 GTX the green light for production, we expect it will borrow the larger ID.4 GTX’s 295 horsepower dual-motor powertrain, as well as some of its sportier design cues. Furthermore, since the ID.3 is quite a bit lighter than the ID.4 (1,859 kg vs 2,049 kg / 4,098 pounds vs 4,517 pounds) and its center of gravity is lower, it would be quicker, handle better and stop better too. It would also drop below the six-second mark to 100 km/h (62 mph) - the ID.4 GTX is quoted as being able to do the sprint in 6.2 seconds."

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts
I would love to see an ID.3 GTX in the U.S. (of course, would also love to see a non-GTX ID.3 in the U.S.).

·
3 Posts
That weight advantage for the ID3 will surely be diminished to a great extent when they add the second motor in to make it a GTX? there's only 190kg between the 2 cars. Add a 70kg (I'm guessing there, the 204ps unit weighs about 90kg) motor and some extra battery cells for a decent range, and I'd be surprised if there's much of a weight advantage.

·
81 Posts
I wonder what they can't add another 200ps motor and double the output? The weight would be insignificant for the extra power

·
3 Posts
I wonder what they can't add another 200ps motor and double the output? The weight would be insignificant for the extra power
With an extra 90kg full-fat motor and probably needing another 300kg in additional batteries to make it worthwhile, it's going to be difficult to give a 2.25 tonne lump some sporty driving dynamics. 1500kg/320ps Golf R with an achievable price of £36k and drives like its on rails, or a 400ps 2.25 tonne tank that'll cost you a realistic £45k and would need some serious suspension magic to drive reasonably sporty...give me the R any time.

·
3 Posts
I think a dual motor 77kw/h with some lightening of other components has promise.
There's not a lot of weight to save elsewhere, with such a sparse interior, unless you start talking about making the bodywork from aluminium (VW started making their bodywork thinner and stiffer in 2013, which shaved 30kg off the weight of a MK7 Golf bodyshell vs a MK6 Golf's and rolled it out across the other models. There’s not a lot else to shsve weight off without using some exotic materials at huge cost (carbon fibre, magnesium alloy etc). The UK spec Tour (with the 77kW battery) is 129kg heavier than the UK spec Life with same motor, but the 62kW battery pack. Just adding in that 2nd motor at 90kg and a few other bits like uprated brakes and a few other mechanical bits to accomodare the 4WD and you're still in the realms of 2100kg. I suppose that probably won't matter for the US market with the die-straight roads that aren't demanding in driving dynamics terms, but for Europe, with its twisty roads it'll matter more to give it an agile suspension set up. The Tour is already a £42k proposition, I bet that'll be more like a £48k GTX. That's way too much next to a Golf R that'll torture it in driving dynamics on European roads.

Too much of a premium for going EV. That's the trouble with the UK market right now. With an RRP threshold of £35k to get the £2500 threshold. Everything above that point became £3k more expensive overnight when the threshold was withdrawn in March without notice.

·
141 Posts
Volkswagen ID X: 329bhp 4WD hot hatch concept revealed

Shock electric hot hatch claims a 200kg weight loss, 0-62mph in 5.3sec and a dedicated Drift mode

Volkswagen CEO Ralf Brandstätter has taken to his personal Linkedin account to preview a surprise new concept car: the ID X.

Accompanying pictures give little away, but it's clearly a performance-focused reworking of the ID 3 electric hatchback, marked out by a distinctive grey-and-green livery, large-diameter alloy wheels wrapped in low-profile tyres and Alacantara-covered sports seats.

More notable, according to the limited details revealed by Brandstätter, is the significant performance upgrade that it promises over all variants of the ID 3. Outright power is pegged at 329bhp, which is not only 128bhp more than the most powerful variant currently on sale but also 27bhp more than even the hot GTX version of the larger ID 4 SUV.

The ID X packs a version of the ID 4 GTX's four-wheel drive system, whereas current ID 3 models are rear-driven only. It had been thought that this system couldn't be accomodated by the ID 3's standard-length MEB architecture, and it's not clear whether this concept makes any compromises on seating or storage capacity to make room for the bulkier underpinnings.

The concept is said to weigh 200kg less than the standard ID 3, although details of how that weight loss was attained haven't been given.

Following a test drive in the concept, Brandstätter revealed that it will hit 62mph from rest in 5.3sec and is equipped with a dedicated Drift mode - as featured on the brand's new Golf R hot hatch.

Brandstätter said that while the ID X isn't destined for production, Volkswagen will "take up many ideas" from the project. It was created, he said, because the engineers who worked on the ID 4 GTX "have discovered the fun of developing high-performance electric cars, and so we just let them do it".

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts

Shock electric hot hatch claims a 200kg weight loss, 0-62mph in 5.3sec and a dedicated Drift mode

That's the one I want (and it matches my Nike Apple Watch color scheme).

·
2018 VW Golf GTI Autobahn w/DSG
31 Posts

As someone who has a Mk7.5 GTI now, I'd instantly put a deposit down today if they announced this was coming to the US...or even the regular ID.3.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts