Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
628 Posts
Already posted in the Trim Differentiation thread.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
594 Posts
Strange the Model Y's WLTP is lower than its EPA rating.

·
2021 First Edition
156 Posts
Strange the Model Y's WLTP is lower than its EPA rating.
Because Tesla knows how to game the EPA system. WLTP might overstate a car's range, but it is more accurate. I find it much better for comparing vehicles.

·
451 Posts
Because Tesla knows how to game the EPA system. WLTP might overstate a car's range, but it is more accurate. I find it much better for comparing vehicles.
If that is the case the ID.4 is actually much closer to the Model Y minus crazy acceleration. Again AWD is 302 hp and 0-60 in 5.8 seconds which isn’t slow.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
454 Posts
There's always the Wayback Machine. I found the article there, although the writer was not on point at all, so I am not sure I gained anything.

Reactions: ted99

·
47 Posts
I don't need eye crushing acceleration just enough to be safe on motorway and be able to get to destination safely. What's the point of getting to 60mph in 3 seconds when it cost so much in terms of power?
I like a good amount of torque. At the lower speeds it helps to get around city traffic and to quickly accelerate across a busy intersection without getting hit. Sometimes it is necessary to use an intersection across a busy street that is not controlled so it can take a very long while if you need a lot of time to cross. I once had a Passat that had horrible turbo lag and it was frightening at times to safely cross a busy street. The other issue and one that I have not heard much about is the torque at higher speeds like when you are on a freeway and need to accelerate to get out of the way. The freeway speeds around here are posted at 70 mph but the average speed is faster so you may need something in reserve to go from 70 to 80 in a hurry. Top end is less important. Whether is is 100 mph or 140 both are unsafe and will get you a ticket.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
949 Posts
We had a non-turbo diesel Peugeot in the 80's and we had to considerably anticipate acceleration needs, sometimes dangerously so, therefore I too appreciate low end torque. But I certainly don't need Tesla ludicrous.
Fortunately electric vehicle motors/drivetrains have 100% of their torque standing still, so as long as decently sized, which even the solo motor ID.4 RWD is, then I foresee no problems in application.

·
47 Posts
We had a non-turbo diesel Peugeot in the 80's and we had to considerably anticipate acceleration needs, sometimes dangerously so, therefore I too appreciate low end torque. But I certainly don't need Tesla ludicrous.
Fortunately electric vehicle motors/drivetrains have 100% of their torque standing still, so as long as decently sized, which even the solo motor ID.4 RWD is, then I foresee no problems in application.
But what does it have at speeds over 60-70?

·
628 Posts
But what does it have at speeds over 60-70?
There have been ID.4 reviews that have discussed this. One said it was adequate, certainly not ludicrous. Another said they were impressed with the way it accelerated in the 65-80 range, but it wasn't in the Tesla press your face back category. Sounds good enough for me, although I am not signing on the dotted line without a test drive.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
454 Posts

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
360 Posts
Agree with ixlr08, some say that at the upper end you can tell there is a lack of oomph, but others seem to think it is fine and good. Until they get released to drive and each person can see for themselves we will have to wait to see. I daily drive an 04 F150 with a 5.4L and 330 lb/ft of torque.....and 60-80 takes some planning so I am betting an ID.4 will be an improvement, just not sure how much

·
217 Posts
My BMW 530e has a 110 HP electric motor and I normally drive it in Houston Traffic in full EV mode. Usual highway speeds on the motorways in town are 65-80 MPH and there is a lot of cut and thrust. I have never been caught short for acceleration. One difference, though, is that the electric motor is BEFORE the transmission, so the motor RPM could be on the lower end "cruising" at 70 MPH, when I hit the "play" (lol) pedal. Meaning that it's not an apples to apples comparison to a motor at 64% of it's max speed (at 70 MPH) in a one-speed application, like the iD.4. The BMW may be at some lower speed as the car does shift gears as I drive.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
949 Posts
Fortunately I'm far better at comprehending written French than I am speaking or hearing same. ;)

Thanks for posting as it's always good to have further global insight.

Clean Technica released documents from Volkswagen that compare the strength and weaknesses of the ID.4 against the Tesla Model Y, BMW iX3, Volvo XC40, Kia e-Niro, Peugeot e-2008, MG ZS EV, Hyundai Kona EV, and DS3 e-Tense.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts