Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
59 Posts
I wouldn't consider it for this reason, but I would consider it for its overall specs. I also happen to like its design, inside and out. The big detractor for me is it's more like a hatchback than an SUV (not necessarily a bad thing), and the cargo capacity is pretty awful for a hatchback. It's clear Hyundai put all the extra wheelbase and then some into the passenger compartment (that, or its overall packaging just isn't that efficient). I'm still team ID.4.

·
24 Posts
The overall proportions of the Ioniq5 look good but the details are a bit fussy in my opinion. I think the ID.4 design is more cohesive and will age better.

·
32 Posts
I’m still team ID.4, but more because of availability than anything else. If Hyundai stays true to form they’ll neglect the non-ZEV states, at least at first. Unless they decide to do pre-orders I don’t expect to see the Ioniq 5 in my area until well into 2022, and I don’t want to wait that long. They’re both pretty great vehicles though. I just hope VW works out their software issues.

·
172 Posts
I don't like the look. It actually looks like a Golf to me and I never liked that design. I guess the wheelbase doesn't mean much to me either, lol.

·
ID.4 Pro S (Statement) AWD Reservation 9/23/20
275 Posts
I like both and will be cross-shopping them (as well as the Ariya). I think the cargo capacity in the article is misleading - it appears to be European measurement for the Ioniq vs U.S. measurement for the ID.4. The ID.4 VDA is 543 L (19.2 ft³) (granted it will be larger overall as the roof doesn't slope as much).

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
10 Posts
If Hyundai stays true to form they’ll neglect the non-ZEV states, at least at first.
That was one of the things that turned me off of the Kona. Had to go out of state to look at it. Then they said there was no way to request a specific color combination. I was told Hyundai just sends over what they feel like and the dealers can only choose from what gets to the docks.

·
61 Posts
The specs are nice, but the quasi-hatchback body style just doesn't do it for me. It's also a ways off from actually shipping.

I'm tired of waiting for the next great car. I want an electric SUV and I want it now. Getting the ID.4 FE.

·
ID.4 1st Blue
211 Posts
I am worried about the turning radius. One of the truly great features of the ID.4 is its very tight turning radius. Tesla Model Y and Ford Mach E, are much worse, for example. The 9" longer wheelbase of the Ioniq 5 has me concerned.

·
101 Posts
I like the looks of the exterior and interior of the IONIQ 5, and it appears to even have actual physical buttons below the infotainment display. It has more exterior colors to choose from than the ID.4. Hyundai says the IONIQ 5 won’t come to the U.S. until “December, 2021”, and pricing is unannounced - those are two important things I’ll want to consider. An ID.4 test drive could convince me to go one way or the other. Rambling on, the IONIQ 5 range doesn’t seem better than the ID.4‘s. And while Hyundai touted its energy recovery system and heat pump for EVs a year or two ago, there’s been no mention yet of a heat pump in the IONIQ 5 for North America. That might matter to some buyers.

·
101 Posts
I am curious about the purported price on the Ioniq. $30-40K with that vehicle size and feature set suggest to me that that price stated is post rebates. I only base this against the Kona Electric pricing. Which is good to know, but should be stated up front.

Also, did anyone notice in the videos that the AR HUD graphics looks very familiar? Same vendor? Or maybe I was day drinking again.

·
58 Posts
Longer length with less cargo capacity has me perplexed. I will compare the range of the AWD versions and that may be a factor, but still in the ID.4 camp.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
68 Posts
ima be honest here.. I really do like ioniq5, but it is coming really late for me. Sizewise its a little bigger then the ID4, specwise it will be really good, but this is for the limited Project 45 edition which has only 3000 available for 59k eu [including vat], but shared across 5 countries. First who reserves it gets it. good luck getting one! available starting this summer [still 3 months away before the normal specced are coming]

I bet this is an highly discounted model to get this model going/be visible in the EU. After that the prices will raise. What happend the same for the ID.4 1st's.[3-5k raise depending on spec] time will tell what a "normal" speced model costs.

Will wait for the Ioniq 7 [full SUV] in 2 years time or the new player in the market by then. For now im enjoying my ID.4 and the temps are getting warmer here.. so is the consumption getting better by a big margin. 250 mi/400km is real ;)

·
73 Posts
And while Hyundai touted its energy recovery system and heat pump for EVs a year or two ago, there’s been no mention yet of a heat pump in the IONIQ 5 for North America. That might matter to some buyers.
That's my main concern as well. Hyundai has so far cut features from every EV that they have sold in the US market, with the heat pump being the main omission on vehicles such as the Kona Electric.

·
212 Posts
This vehicle firmed up my decision to pass on my ID.4 FE when it comes. I'm in the fortunate position to not need a vehicle now. I just sold my second BMW 530e PHEV because of lack of use. If post-Covid shows a need for a second car, it looks like there will be the ID.4, Nissan and Hyundai offers to choose between.

·
11 Posts
I have a ID.4 reservation, but looking at the Ioniq 5 specs, specifically fast charging, I'll probably abandon my VW reservation. Ioniq 350KW, Mustang 150KW and ID4 125KW, feels like VW completely missed catching up with the latest technology. Road trips are a different story with a solid fast charging option. VW overlooked that unfortunately.

·
101 Posts
I have a ID.4 reservation, but looking at the Ioniq 5 specs, specifically fast charging, I'll probably abandon my VW reservation. Ioniq 350KW, Mustang 150KW and ID4 125KW, feels like VW completely missed catching up with the latest technology. Road trips are a different story with a solid fast charging option. VW overlooked that unfortunately.
Are there trade-offs for Peak Fast charging rates, or is it all cost of parts? Thermal issues? Bus issues? Does the peak rate have a negative affect on Battery life performance? I know excessive DC-Fast charging *could affect it. Are there other factors?

·
11 Posts
Are there trade-offs for Peak Fast charging rates, or is it all cost of parts? Thermal issues? Bus issues? Does the peak rate have a negative affect on Battery life performance? I know excessive DC-Fast charging *could affect it. Are there other factors?
well, all those problems have already been solved by the VW group. The Taycan is charging at 270 kW.

·
ID.4 Pro S (Statement) AWD Reservation 9/23/20
275 Posts
well, all those problems have already been solved by the VW group. The Taycan is charging at 270 kW.
Both the Taycan & the Ioniq have 800 volt systems (most EVs have 400 volts). This allows double the kW at the same amps. That is one thing I really like about the Ioniq and do foresee more and more EVs switching to 800 volt systems.

Reactions: ted99

·
11 Posts
That is one thing I really like about the Ioniq and do foresee more and more EVs switching to 800 volt systems.
exactly my point. Road trips with a solid fast charging option are a completely different story. My current vehicle only supports 50KW and road trips are not really an option. With the ID4 just supporting a bit more than double I still consider this a no go..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts