Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not only that but it turns out the ID.6 will actually be a saloon/sedan positioned to rival the BMW i4 and Mercedes EQE. At least that's according to a report from AutoCar where they interviewed Frank Welsch, head of R&D at Volkswagen.

ID.6 Specs were also covered:

"The ID 6 will be offered with one motor for rear-wheel drive or two motors for four-wheel drive. The latter layout will also underpin a GTX performance model that Welsch said will be capable of 0-62mph in around 5.6sec. By comparison, the single-motor model will have a 0-62mph time of about 8.5sec.

As with other ID models, the ID 6 is set to be sold with a choice of battery sizes. While it’s still in the early stages of development, Welsch claimed the largest battery, an 84kWh pack mounted within the flat floor of the MEB platform, will provide the car with a range of around 700km, or 431 miles – some 89 miles more than that quoted for the ID 3 Pro S, which has a 77kWh battery.

Welsch pinpointed improved lithium battery cell efficiency, a reduction in rolling resistance and new aerodynamic developments as being central to the longer range of the ID 6.

Additionally, the model is planned to support charging at a rate of up to 200kW, allowing around 143 miles of range to be added in just 10 minutes from a DC rapid charger."

·
415 Posts
I sure hope that sedan will be a lift back like the Model S (I believe that the i4 will be as well).

Also, lets hope that the ID.6 isn't priced like the i4 or EQE.

·
66 Posts
I think that range is optimistic. Even Tesla doesn't get that range with a 82KW battery in their Model 3. Maybe 431km.

I would be first in line if wrong.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
528 Posts
The ID.6 will be offered as both a "saloon" and an "estate" car; although the fact that they will have the sedan version, I worry the estate version will not make it to the U.S. (in keeping with many gorgeous estate versions of German brands not making it stateside).

As far as the range, considering the smaller ID.4 with 82 kW (gross) battery is getting 323 miles (WLTP), I can't see the larger ID.6 doing 33% better. My guess is either @Reeler's guess it is in km or that there is a larger battery that gets 431 miles. [I really hope it is not 431 km WLTP as that would be approx. 200 miles EPA].

·
323 Posts
The ID.6 will be offered as both a "saloon" and an "estate" car; although the fact that they will have the sedan version, I worry the estate version will not make it to the U.S. (in keeping with many gorgeous estate versions of German brands not making it stateside).

As far as the range, considering the smaller ID.4 with 82 kW (gross) battery is getting 323 miles (WLTP), I can't see the larger ID.6 doing 33% better. My guess is either @Reeler's guess it is in km or that there is a larger battery that gets 431 miles. [I really hope it is not 431 km WLTP as that would be approx. 200 miles EPA].
I've got that same fear that the wagon won't be coming to the states. I'd love for a quick electric wagon!

·
36 Posts
I've got that same fear that the wagon won't be coming to the states. I'd love for a quick electric wagon!
I sure hope it does. If I remember correctly it premiered at the LA Auto Show in 2019. I had wanted to see it, but my son was too pro GTI and didn’t want to go with me. Now they are saying that this will come to the US in 2023.

Honestly, I would prefer this over an ID.4 AWD with aftermarket coilovers to lower to the height of my GTI.

The Space Vizzion Wagon/ID.6 should be able to charge in 10 minutes instead of 30 on road trips and with a higher charge rate the ID Wagon could utilize the 350 kw chargers that Electrify America has, not just the level 2, 50 kw and 150 kw chargers!

My first EV will need to be a hatch friendly family car with AWD to go up to the snow, but in 2025 I will be looking for an EV sports car. I can’t afford the new Tesla roadster or Porsche Taycan, but if Porsche releases an electric 914 or Boxster roadster or if VW releases an ID.R roadster similar to the Blue Sport Concept, I would be all over it. I know these joint VW/Porsche plans were in the pipeline before Coronavirus hit...

·
323 Posts
I sure hope it does. If I remember correctly it premiered at the LA Auto Show in 2019. I had wanted to see it, but my son was too pro GTI and didn’t want to go with me. Now they are saying that this will come to the US in 2023.

Honestly, I would prefer this over an ID.4 AWD with aftermarket coilovers to lower to the height of my GTI.

The Space Vizzion Wagon/ID.6 should be able to charge in 10 minutes instead of 30 on road trips and with a higher charge rate the ID Wagon could utilize the 350 kw chargers that Electrify America has, not just the level 2, 50 kw and 150 kw chargers!

My first EV will need to be a hatch friendly family car with AWD to go up to the snow, but in 2025 I will be looking for an EV sports car. I can’t afford the new Tesla roadster or Porsche Taycan, but if Porsche releases an electric 914 or Boxster roadster or if VW releases an ID.R roadster similar to the Blue Sport Concept, I would be all over it. I know these joint VW/Porsche plans were in the pipeline before Coronavirus hit...
I'd prefer this over the ID.4 as well. Porsche has a wagon/shooting brake version of the Taycan coming out so that gives me hope for the ID.6.

·
36 Posts
I'd prefer this over the ID.4 as well. Porsche has a wagon/shooting brake version of the Taycan coming out so that gives me hope for the ID.6.
Well, I think I’ll start saving for a Porsche Taycan 4S or Porsche Taycan Wagon/Shooting Brake and if VW releases a sporty EV sedan or wagon before I have enough saved I’ll consider going with VW instead of Porsche. In the meantime I’ll keep driving my 2019 GTI with manual transmission and will eventually cancel my reservation for an AWD ID.4.

The VW GTI/VW GLI, Porsche Cayman/Boxster and Porsche Macan were the VW Group Vehicles that made Car & Driver’s 10 best list in their January 2021 issue. In the same issue they lauded the Porsche Taycan EV as a winner and declared the Tesla S a loser.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that I wouldn’t be happy driving an SUV, even if it is an electric VW. A lower seating position and ride height are all superior when it comes to a sporty ride. While a Porsche Macan SUV may seem larger than my VW GTI, my GTI has more cargo space with the rear seats up as well as down...

·
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I think I’ll start saving for a Porsche Taycan 4S or Porsche Taycan Wagon/Shooting Brake and if VW releases a sporty EV sedan or wagon before I have enough saved I’ll consider going with VW instead of Porsche. In the meantime I’ll keep driving my 2019 GTI with manual transmission and will eventually cancel my reservation for an AWD ID.4.

The VW GTI/VW GLI, Porsche Cayman/Boxster and Porsche Macan were the VW Group Vehicles that made Car & Driver’s 10 best list in their January 2021 issue. In the same issue they lauded the Porsche Taycan EV as a winner and declared the Tesla S a loser.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that I wouldn’t be happy driving an SUV, even if it is an electric VW. A lower seating position and ride height are all superior when it comes to a sporty ride. While a Porsche Macan SUV may seem larger than my VW GTI, my GTI has more cargo space with the rear seats up as well as down...
Audi is planning on a super saloon like the Taycan, called the e-tron GT.
Have you heard about it?

·
323 Posts
Audi is planning on a super saloon like the Taycan, called the e-tron GT.
Have you heard about it?

If you are planning on saving up for a Taycan the e-tron GT would be something to consider. It shared the same platform as the Taycan and should deliver similar performance.

·
36 Posts
Last time I considered buying an Audi, Audi USA chose not to offer manual transmission with the engine option I was interested in so I went with VW.

I can’t justify spending $60k or more on a car unless it’s a Porsche. I almost bought a Boxster when I was in my mid 20s and again when I was in my early 30s. I’d like to buy a new Porsche before I hit 40 and my reaction times go down the hill..

Yes, it shares the same platform as the Taycan. Kind of like Audi’s A3 and the VW GTI or the Audi Q5 and the Porsche Macan.

The Audi etron GT is a looker though.

·
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Last time I considered buying an Audi, Audi USA chose not to offer manual transmission with the engine option I was interested in so I went with VW.

I can’t justify spending $60k or more on a car unless it’s a Porsche. I almost bought a Boxster when I was in my mid 20s and again when I was in my early 30s. I’d like to buy a new Porsche before I hit 40 and my reaction times go down the hill..

Yes, it shares the same platform as the Taycan. Kind of like Audi’s A3 and the VW GTI or the Audi Q5 and the Porsche Macan.

The Audi etron GT is a looker though.
With Taycan's now here, have you seen then in person yet? Or even tried going for a test drive?

·
36 Posts
With Taycan's now here, have you seen then in person yet? Or even tried going for a test drive?
Yes, I had a black Taycan merge onto a freeway behind my GTI. The driver didn’t have an issue keeping up. I’ve also seen a couple white Taycans on surface streets around town. The Taycan looks really good. A thousand times better than a Panamera and I’d say better than a 911 too. More practical as well If you have a tall 8 year old son in the 95th percentile for height who wouldn’t fit in the back of a 911 let alone an Audi TT.

I sat in the ID.4 on 12-2-2020 right before the second lockdown in L.A. county. Nice low sitting position for the driver in contrast to a Tesla Y. I test drove an early model Chevy Bolt years back, but couldn’t stand the uncomfortable seats. I test drove a Tesla Model 3 on Halloween. I couldn’t stand the Tesla’s poor turning radius which was quite apparent when making a U-turn. The panel gaps on the Tesla didn’t impress me either and with accelerating in a seat with a non adjustable headrest that protrudes too far, you’re bound to start suffering from CTE like NFL players with regular fast acceleration/freeway merging/evasive maneuvers. If I wanted that I could punch myself in the back of the head every time I stomped on my GTI’s accelerator. Seriously! The first electric car I saw was a GM EV1 when I was in intermediate school. My science teacher had a buddy who worked on the EV1. In comparison to the modern day bolt the EV1 looked sweet. After the EV1 demo when my science teacher asked the class if they would drive an electric car all the hands went up...

Once I have been vaccinated and the case rate is better I was planning on driving the Porsche Taycan 4S at the Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles. With 4 wheel steering and everything I’ve read, it should be a ton of fun to drive on a track.

I’m still hoping we get the Aero B Wagon. Sporty like a GTI with AWD and more cargo room than an SUV(or Tesla X). I’m also hoping Porsche comes out with an electric roadster. Now that VW got rid of their racing department, I no longer have hopes of VW releasing an IDR electric roadster.

·
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@ID.R-Bitte Good to see you've done your homework!
If the Aero B Wagon (2023?) doesn't come soon enough, the Pacifica Hybrid might be a good choice. Have you looked into any other electrified vans, suv, etc. to come out?

·
36 Posts
Nope, not looking for an EV van. Minivans/Vans are king for space. If I needed one though I’d wait for the ID Buzz. The Pacifica is a plug in with an EV range of 32 miles which is pitiful for someone who used to drive 30k miles a year.

Besides handling better and being more fun to drive, Wagons are more aerodynamic than vans/SUVs so with everything equal you would get better EV range/fuel economy out of a wagon.

Besides Porsche(VW Group) I don’t believe any other car manufacturer has an EV wagon in the works for the US market that would appear before 2025. Do you know of other EV wagons besides the Taycan Turismo and Aero B that may be offered for sale in the US?

Just for kicks, what do you think the
starting price would be for a VW Aero B wagon if they release it for sale in the US in 2023?

I’m hoping for about the same price as a Porsche Taycan 4S, I could get a VW Aero B and a Porsche Boxster EV (whenever Porsche releases an EV roadster).

·
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kia/Hyundai would like come out with an EV wagon. Ideally like the Stinger as a poor mans Taycan CT.

Aero B...$45k and up seems reasonable. You?

·
36 Posts
Aero B...$45k and up seems reasonable. You?
$45,995 and up sounds plausible. Hopefully not more than $49,995.
According to Road & Track the average new car price in the U.S. surpassed 40k for the first time and is now $40,573.

I don’t know if I want to wait til 2023 for my first EV. I think I most likely will get the AWD ID.4 as my practical family car and hope for someone to manufacture a fun affordable EV roadster in the future.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts