Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pricing starts from $450 with a few charging options to choose from.

Volkswagen officially launched its home charging station, developed with ID.3 and the ID. family in mind, which was announced in September 2019.

The three-phase 11 kW (AC Type 2 plug compatible with all new EVs in Europe) unit (at single-phase it's 3.7 kW) is available both online and at dealerships, starting from €399 ($450), including basic installation. That should help all the newbie EV drivers who would like to switch to electric drive seamlessly:

"Volkswagen is teaming up with certified electrical contractors to offer a comprehensive installation service comprising expert advice, installation and commissioning of the wallbox. Anyone interested in purchasing a wallbox can also complete a free online pre-check."
volkswagen-id-charger-comparison.jpg

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
794 Posts
I too would like to know if this is the USA-recommended 240V VW option for the ID.4 or if another model will be forthcoming?

·
252 Posts

As of right now on the vw.com they are mentioning Electrify Home. I don't see anything about the Wallbox for the US as mentioned on the European VW sites.

Reactions: Huey52

·
Proud FE owner
906 Posts
In the US, check with your utility company for rebates. My utility company (Snohomish County PUD in Washington state) offers up to $500 on a connected home charger. Combined with the 30% federal tax credit, I'd only end up paying a portion of the sales tax. From what I've found, the tax credit expires 12/31.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
794 Posts
I see Home Depot has a ChargePoint 240V panel so presumably that would be compatible. Of course we’ll likely get better definition and options as the next few months evolve.

·
314 Posts
The EA home unit VW is apparently going to offer in partnership with EA (in the dealer video) is 32A (7.6 kW). Is the 11kW max charge rate for the US? If so, it will take a wall unit that can do 45A to 48A, the new chargepoint one of the few that can go that high in AC charge current.

But, as someone said earlier, 11kW is a common EU spec for ac three phase charging over there. So, is it a mistake? Or, as the specs seem to indicate we are getting 11kW home charging capability, and you would need more than a 32A wall unit to take advantage of the highest home charge rate. I think 11kW US single phase 240V might be correct.

Is a 32A charge rate (7.6 KW) good enough? Probably for most, it is. But, if you want to max out charge speed, you can do better (if the U.S. VW 11kW spec is single phase and correct) (assuming your home main panel can support 48A continuous load with the required 60A circuit and breaker).

·
252 Posts
JuiceBox offers a 48 amp EVCS (11.5kW), but they only offer it as hard wired.

Reactions: emtonsti

·
23 Posts
The only way to get to 48A is hardwired right now, same with chargepoint. That looks like a good unit too.
Guys most of the time you will charge at night, 32A is enough to charge the battery at 100%, so ready to leave in the morning. If you have an emergency the 48A will not be fast enough so you will have to charge at a public fait charger anyway.

·
314 Posts
Guys most of the time you will charge at night, 32A is enough to charge the battery at 100%, so ready to leave in the morning. If you have an emergency the 48A will not be fast enough so you will have to charge at a public fait charger anyway.
I agree that 32A will be fine for most. The question is probably more for those doing a first install, and the ever present thought about "future proofing". Or, just maxing out capacity because it's fun and a good pandemic project. Installed some of the new conduit run last night, new 50A chargepoint due in tomorrow. My 32A short cord (18') would not reach the ID.4 charge port, so I'm mounting the new one on a different garage wall so I do not have to back in the ID.4. Fortunately, it's a DIY project for me (EE).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts