Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... how do we feel? :unsure:

Volkswagen accidentally posted a press release on its website a month early on Monday announcing a new name for its U.S. operations, Voltswagen of America, emphasizing the German automaker’s electric vehicle efforts.

A spokesman for the company declined to comment on the release, which was dated April 29 and has since been taken down.

·
ID.4 1st blue
125 Posts
I'm having a hard time believing a major global brand would change its name in just one market. It makes no sense to me. My guess is that it's more like a marketing campaign / slogan than a full name change. We'll see!

·
2019 Tiguan SE 2016 Jetta Sport
40 Posts
If true it is just stupid. Of course everything on the Internet is true... :rolleyes:

·
Proud FE owner
1,029 Posts
vw.com has been updated with the new name. So the April Fools joke is early.
Right. And the "press release" said that wouldn't happen until May.

Sure is creating a lot of inexpensive publicity.

·
Pro S AWD Gradient Kings Red
18 Posts
Sounds like when IHOP "changed" it's name to IH of "Burgers" for a time.

It appears to be legit, but I too think it's nuts. My wife just told me there was no way she would let me buy a "Voltswagen", so I guess that ends that. Q4, here I come.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
171 Posts
Major brands’ April Fool’s Day jokes are unnecessary have the potential to do a lot of damage. This is a great example. Even with the fuel emissions scandal, VW is still a massively powerful brand. There was no way they were going to make this change.

·
31 Posts
Major brands’ April Fool’s Day jokes are unnecessary have the potential to do a lot of damage. This is a great example. Even with the fuel emissions scandal, VW is still a massively powerful brand. There was no way they were going to make this change.
Damn idiots... so stupid...
Volkswagen of America said its name was changing. Now it admits it was just a disaster of an April Fool's stunt
Volkswagen of America said its name was changing. Now it admits it was just a disaster of an April Fool's stunt

·
ID.4 1st blue
125 Posts
What a total shit show. They took this way too far issuing a formal press release that was a flat out lie. The Verge rightly slammed them for it.

"But now we know the rebrand was nothing more than another lie from a company that’s become known for something else: lying."

This was such a dumb move. Someone (or many someones) need to be fired. You can't lie to the public like this ESPECIALLY if you are Volkswagen.

·
31 Posts
What a total shit show. They took this way too far issuing a formal press release that was a flat out lie. The Verge rightly slammed them for it.

"But now we know the rebrand was nothing more than another lie from a company that’s become known for something else: lying."

This was such a dumb move. Someone (or many someones) need to be fired. You can't lie to the public like this ESPECIALLY if you are Volkswagen.
Makes one consider canceling a pre-order. :)

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
1,051 Posts

I don’t know, the Verge piece strikes me as a cheap shot. I’m not a VW fan, mind you, and the stunt was stupid from the beginning (but also sufficiently transparently dumb that I called BS days ago). But I’m growing tired of the oversimplified cheap journalism around EVs.

·
Proud FE owner
1,029 Posts
I don’t know, the Verge piece strikes me as a cheap shot. I’m not a VW fan, mind you, and the stunt was stupid from the beginning (but also sufficiently transparently dumb that I called BS days ago). But I’m growing tired of the oversimplified cheap journalism around EVs.
It would have landed differently if their PR agency wouldn't have posted it on Monday rather than Thursday. Someone's head rolled for that. Vehicle manufacturers, including Volkswagen, have some history in April Fools jokes. See: "One Man Van"

It does demonstrate a lack of a agility in VoA communications as a whole. And that is no surprise to any of us.

Reactions: egsell

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue
475 Posts
I thought it was pretty funny. All of it, including the failed delivery. Maybe I’m not getting enough social interaction. It would explain a lot.

·
325 Posts
I thought it was pretty funny. All of it, including the failed delivery. Maybe I’m not getting enough social interaction. It would explain a lot.
Me too. The people who got their noses out of joint were the journalists who actually believed that it was true, and realized how foolish they looked after they found out that was a stunt. Disaster, hardly. They got a huge amount of publicity out of it. The Verge author looks like jerk number one.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Bad PR move from VW...they look like a silly child instead of a mature grown up car company, which they aren't in this case.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue
475 Posts
I think it gives them the quirky fun behavior they are trying to achieve with ID.4. But then I am the dad that actively works to play with and embarrass my kid, so I am not mature. Truth.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts