Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my local Volvo dealers is getting a demo XC40 EV next week and I plan on testing it next weekend. Anyone have any questions that they would like answered?

They told me that the car I am trying is a demo only vehicle and you need to special order the XC40. I take it as you are paying full or nearly full price for a EV that is nearly $10K over priced. They do have some cool features that most other EV's do not have in this price range which includes washers for the headlights and heated rear seats.

Personally have no interest in a nearly $60k EV but I am a fan of the ICE XC40 (other than it is an ICE).

Thanks.

Scott

·
248 Posts
One of my local Volvo dealers is getting a demo XC40 EV next week and I plan on testing it next weekend. Anyone have any questions that they would like answered?

They told me that the car I am trying is a demo only vehicle and you need to special order the XC40. I take it as you are paying full or nearly full price for a EV that is nearly $10K over priced. They do have some cool features that most other EV's do not have in this price range which includes washers for the headlights and heated rear seats.

Personally have no interest in a nearly $60k EV but I am a fan of the ICE XC40 (other than it is an ICE).

Thanks.

Scott
The car is nice looking, but for price and range not worth it in my opinion? For info purpose, the Model Y has all 5 seats heated.

·
2021 First Edition
177 Posts
I had a reservation for the XC40 and planned to decide between it and the ID.4. I love the way the XC40 looks. When they announced the EPA range figures, however, I bailed. It was a big disappointment.

·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rumor is that Volvo will be releasing their next EV in March (that is 3 weeks away). I believe it will be called the V40 (or C40). Below is concept video. Hopefully the new EV is slightly bigger than the XC40 and gets better range. I actually like the looks of this concept.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts
The rumor is that Volvo will be releasing their next EV in March (that is 3 weeks away). I believe it will be called the V40 (or C40). Below is concept video. Hopefully the new EV is slightly bigger than the XC40 and gets better range. I actually like the looks of this concept.

My guess it will be 182 mm longer than the XC40 and 83 mm shorter than the Model 3. The trunk will be slightly smaller than the XC as it is a hatchback.

·
33 Posts
I test drove one this weekend. Very impressive EV, but a bit expensive, reasonably equipped it is just under $60K. The Android infotainment was awesome, don’t see a need to use Android Auto on your phone. Ride was great and the damn torque was like whip lash, you punch it from a roll and your head gets slammed into the headrest as the torque really is more that anticipated. The Glacier Silver has a hint of ice blue, almost like a muted white, not a fan of that color. Aside from my not sure if I want to own a Chinese brand, the cost is a bit high. Also as mentioned before Volvo’s spotty reliability is concerning.

·
27 Posts
It seems with the Volvo we get our heat pump, one-pedal driving, 100 more hp, 360 degree view, for an extra $10K and less range.

After driving both, I was underwhelmed by the Id.4. It seems like a dumbed-down milquetoast attempt to please the wrong audience: IC folks who don’t give damn, anyway. Even with 100 more hp than the RWD version, the AWD ID.4 will be 100 hp less than the Volvo. Considering also the excellent Google Auto interface, the far better driving experience of the Volvo will be almost worth the inferior range. I am on the verge of dumping my ID.4 reservation.

·
33 Posts
So lately here in GA dealers are discounting the XC40 Recharge by $11-12K for lease and about $3-4K on purchase. I think Volvo realizes the price point is a turn off. Some states they are going for near MSRP.

·
33 Posts
It seems with the Volvo we get our heat pump, one-pedal driving, 100 more hp, 360 degree view, for an extra $10K and less range.

After driving both, I was underwhelmed by the Id.4. It seems like a dumbed-down milquetoast attempt to please the wrong audience: IC folks who don’t give damn, anyway. Even with 100 more hp than the RWD version, the AWD ID.4 will be 100 hp less than the Volvo. Considering also the excellent Google Auto interface, the far better driving experience of the Volvo will be almost worth the inferior range. I am on the verge of dumping my ID.4 reservation.
I have a ID.4 AWD ordered. While the Volvo Android Automotive system in theory should be better, if you follow the Volvo forums it has it share of issues as well as being rather rushed than polished. Many Volvo uses have their Infotainment systems crashing and going blank needing to reboot it.

The Volvo is more targeted for the Tesla people that want a more traditional car. The ID.4 is targeted for the mainstream SUV market such as CR-V, RAV 4, etc. none of which make more than around 200hp and nowhere near 302hp. I prefer the screen up high so I don’t have to take my eyes off the road much, but do like the vertical layout of the Volvo for maps. The Volvo has some goodies the ID.4 does not, but some of,that advantage is using the ICE CMA platform so it shares almost all of the interior and shell with ICE and EV.

My 3 biggest complaints on the ID.4 are, the laggy Infotainment. Clearly even the ID.3 which has been out longer has same issues. I doubt it will get much better with software updates as it seems it just has an underpowered CPU. Next would be the haptic controls and lack of back lighting for them. I get it, haptic is more sleek and modern, but also cheap and a pain. But the Volvo buries most thing in their screen requiring digging into the infotainment system. Lastly the darn window/mirror controls in the ID are a joke. I have driven the car twice and my wife once. Each time the window/mirror controls Faustus such that I question that car.

for now my ID.4vstays on order, but I keep negotiating on a Volvo to see how low they will go. The difference is I would likely buy an ID.4, but not sure I would buy the Volvo as the range is weak. If you follow their suggestions you should only charge them Volvo to 90% (187 miles). I believe VW suggests 80% for the ID, but that still translates into around 200 miles and most people seem to be getting the EPA range in the VW, where the Volvo is harder to get respectable real world range near the EPA numbers and who knows when winter hits, the Volvo may wind up being 125-150 mile range vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts