Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was at the local VW dealer a d chatted about my ID.4 reservation. During the conversation, the charging network came up and I was told that all dealers will get chargers but it was not clear how many, what levels or when. Also, apparently there are different tiers of EV VW dealers that might be getting different EV equipment. Besides all the unknowns, this might reduce range anxiety if there are level 2 chargers available to customers at all dealers. Have you received similar information? What are your thoughts?

·
242 Posts
I have been told all dealers who are selling ID.4's will be required to have a charger. I know one dealer who has a Chargepoint charger, from when they were selling the e-Golf, was asked to install a different charger and they refused since they already had a charger. That dealer is NOT on the list of preferred ID.4 dealers. I don't know what kind of charger they were asked to install.

·
158 Posts
Level 2 chargers at dealerships isn't really going to reduce range anxiety. Level 2 is useless for long range trips (except for at overnight locations) and the scenario where you will get range anxiety on around town trips (with a VW dealer conveniently located) is close to zero.

I also can't see a dealer already having a Chargepoint charging station and not becoming a preferred dealer by swapping L2 charging stations. My guess for that scenario is that VW is looking for the dealer to install a L3 station which would require more infrastructure upgrades (or other non-charging related reasons they are not a preferred dealer).

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also just checked the VW dealership network. While it is dense in urban and suburban areas, there are very few elsewhere. I cross my fingers for L3 chargers but am afraid that the costs are just too high for all of them installing a couple of those.

·
242 Posts
My dealer doesn't have a charger at the moment, I asked him what they were installing. He said it would be a L2 charger and he had no idea what brand it was as VW was providing the charger, they had to install it.
He also said that his dealership didn't carry any eGolfs as there was no interest in them, that is why they didn't have a charger. He said there has been lots of interest in the ID.4.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dealer said that they have around 15 preorders but that they don’t think all will go through. It is a smaller dealer, so 15 is quite good. Also, he mentioned that they think they might get a couple for their showroom in the first quarter. Fingers crossed. He also mentioned a third quarter delivery for the AWD, which is something we knew.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
224 Posts
My dealer is relatively small but they already have an outdoors ChargePoint L2 parking area.

·
58 Posts
Spoke with my Denver dealer (Emich) last night and they will have two L3 Electrify America chargers in the near future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts