Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

Discussion Starter #1
According to Automotive News, Volkswagen has delayed the American launch of the ID.4 from late December to late in Q1 2021. Initial deliveries are scheduled for March.

It's being done to shift output to markets in Europe where VW is facing fines over not reaching emissions targets.

Disappointing, but it at least looks like a cohesive plan, and lets me stop trying to interpret daily messaging & wonder when it'll actually happen. Now I know I can just stop paying as much attention for a few months.

Is the video in the link I posted working for you?
What video? I clicked on the AutoNews Now link and a popup came up saying I can't enter site with my adblocker active. I don't need to read it that bad that I am willing to turn off my adblocker.

Discussion Starter #7
What video? I clicked on the AutoNews Now link and a popup came up saying I can't enter site with my adblocker active. I don't need to read it that bad that I am willing to turn off my adblocker.
The link is to a video not an article, that's where I got confused. My mistake.

2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
This aligns with what VoA PR folks were saying on the dealer tour (San Jose).

It also begs questions:
  • Why the rush to finalize 1st Edition orders more than four months out?
  • If US 1st Editions are held up by EU production, why the hell can't we have illuminated logos?

WTAF is going on Mr. Keogh?

This aligns with what VoA PR folks were saying on the dealer tour (San Jose).

It also begs questions:
  • Why the rush to finalize 1st Edition orders more than four months out?
  • If US 1st Editions are held up by EU production, why the hell can't we have illuminated logos?

WTAF is going on Mr. Keogh?
Maybe this delay gives them to opportunity to incorporate the illuminated logo for US FE鈥檚?

2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
Maybe this delay gives them to opportunity to incorporate the illuminated logo for US FE鈥檚?
If all this confirms the 1st Editions have not been assembled, they would be foolish not to add it.

From Jalopnik

---

The Volkswagen ID.4 is the next electric car America is getting from Volkswagen, following the death of the e-Golf, a car I certainly have never forgotten. The ID.4 was supposed to get here by the end of this year in some places, though according to a new report, we鈥檙e now going to have to wait a little longer.

The ID.4 has a range of 250 miles, will start at $39,995, and go from zero to 62 mph in 8.5 seconds. That is to say I don鈥檛 think America is clamoring for this car, exactly, so I鈥檓 not sure this delay is terribly meaningful. But it is funny because Automotive News says that it is in part because Volkswagen is scrambling to get its shit together in Europe.
The U.S. rollout of the Volkswagen ID4 has been delayed from late December until late in the first quarter of 2021, in part to shift output of the electric compact crossover to markets in Europe, where the company is facing large fines for not hitting emissions targets, Automotive News has learned.
Originally, VW planned to begin delivering at least a few ID4 models in California and other zero-emission vehicle states before the end of the year, with a 50-state launch across its network of 650 U.S. dealerships planned for the first half of 2021. It will now launch the ID4 across the U.S., instead of just ZEV states, with initial deliveries slated for March, according to sources familiar with the plan.
A VW spokesman on Friday confirmed the amended timeline, saying in a statement to Automotive News: 鈥淲e are executing our plan. We will still have a few hundred vehicles for customer events and drive programs early next year, with the 50-state retail launch starting in March, timed to the spring selling season. We want this launch to have the biggest impact possible with a steady cadence once ID.4 starts to arrive at dealerships.鈥
This all started with the bungling of the launch of the ID.3, the launch of Volkswagen鈥檚 most important new car in decades. That delayed ID.4 production, and that will now apparently delay the introduction of the ID.4 to the U.S.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Type your email

Increasingly, I鈥檓 wondering why Volkswagen opted to ship any German-made ID.4s to the United States at all, given Volkswagen鈥檚 plan to build the ID.4 at its Chattanooga plant from 2022. It won鈥檛 be a huge number, at any rate; Automotive News says that VW thinks it will sell something north of 20,000 ID.4s in the U.S. next year. To put that into context: Volkswagen sold just over 100,000 Jettas in America last year alone.

ID.4 1st Dusk Blue
I think Jalopnik is a quite wrong here. The ID.3 had a delayed delivery because of software issues, but Zwickau production hasn't been slowed down except due to the pandemic, as far as I know. The production numbers they report are actually quite impressive for a first year ramp-up.

Not bringing any ID.4s to the US early on would be a huge mistake as other manufacturers launch their EVs with similar form factors. Tesla MY, Ford Mustang Mach E, Nissan Ariya, and to a lesser extent Hyundai Kona and Kia Niro EV. Mindshare matters, as does a global launch vs. regional launch.

I'm not too disappointed, since my ideal scenario is to take delivery in March so I don't have to pay $$$ to renew the tabs on my Leaf. As long as they don't slip any further I'll be happy.

I wonder what that does to the AWD - probably pushed out to fall. I鈥檝e been patient for years, so months is doable.

Well that鈥檚 disappointing, particularly for folks who snagged a 1st Edition. Folks waited seemingly forever for various Tesla models. I wonder if they鈥檒l wait a few months for the ID.4. The presumed new timeline actually works better for me and my Pro AWD preorder, so I鈥檓 not terribly disappointed just yet.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts