Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

1,498 Posts
VW Replaces Design Chief Because CEO Was Reportedly Unimpressed With His Work | Carscoops

Unfortunately, this just seems to be the guy responsible for the ID.2 design.

“A report from Automobilwoche says that the change will take place on February 1, citing unnamed sources within VW’s corporate circles. Kaban apparently failed to impress VW brand CEO Thomas Schäfer and the board with his work on the ID.2 city car, which was previewed with the ID. LIFE concept, and it will reportedly be up to Mindt to revise the design.”

Many more people on the ID design team need to be fired.

46 Posts
The first use of the T word in this thread was from you. Did one run over your dog or something? There are many friendly, helpful people on this board, but you're not being friendly nor helpful.

2,703 Posts
Oops, I thought this was the VWIDTalk forum, not the TeslaHatingTalk forum. Bye.
Look almost every post you have has the word Tesla in it or definitely has some bashing of the ID.4 and you say you just bought a Tesla. What exactly are you here for?…like we don’t all already know. It really is quite pathetic you implying I am a troll. Who pays you, if I may get a straight answer?

46 Posts
Look almost every post you have has the word Tesla in it or definitely has some bashing of the ID.4 and you say you just bought a Tesla. What exactly are you here for?…like we don’t all already know. It really is quite pathetic you implying I am a troll. Who pays you, if I may get a straight answer?
Well, let's see:
  • I'm a 56 year old software engineer (healthcare, nothing related to cars) from Watertown, MA.
  • On the side, I've written open source diagnostic software for older VWs: GitHub - gmenounos/kw1281test: VW KW1281 Protocol Test Tool
  • I'm an active member of TDIClub (VW diesel enthusiast site) since June 2003: gmenounos
  • I own a 1999.5 Golf and a 2001 Jetta wagon. I fix both of them myself. I've replaced 3 timing belts (soon to be 4), 1 transmission, 2 turbos, and 20 years worth of brakes, shocks, and exhausts (and a hundred other things).
  • I have no relation to T**** besides have bought one this week. Never even considered it until the prices dropped within my range.
I'm here because I wanted to replace the Jetta with an EV, preferred to stick with VW and the ID.4 is the only choice in the US right now. I put $100 down last July to reserve one. I put $400 more down in December. I then spent almost $400 to rent one for 3 days and really see if it was the car for me. It wasn't. I've never liked SUVs, thought I could tolerate this one, but it's too big. I was still sticking around because I like to hear what's going on with VW EVs and the EV industry in general. Maybe VW will someday sell a smaller EV in the US. But meanwhile, if someone asks about what people did or didn't like about the ID.4 or what they did or didn't like about some other brand, I'm going to tell them, if I think it'll be helpful. Not everyone that doesn't like the ID.4 or buys some other brand is a troll.

That's who I am. Who are you? How dedicated to VWs are you? Do you fix them? Do you write software for them? How many have you owned? For how many years?

4,122 Posts
Well, let's see:
  • I'm a 56 year old software engineer (healthcare, nothing related to cars) from Watertown, MA.
  • On the side, I've written open source diagnostic software for older VWs: GitHub - gmenounos/kw1281test: VW KW1281 Protocol Test Tool
  • I'm an active member of TDIClub (VW diesel enthusiast site) since June 2003: gmenounos
  • I own a 1999.5 Golf and a 2001 Jetta wagon. I fix both of them myself. I've replaced 3 timing belts (soon to be 4), 1 transmission, 2 turbos, and 20 years worth of brakes, shocks, and exhausts (and a hundred other things).
  • I have no relation to T**** besides have bought one this week. Never even considered it until the prices dropped within my range.
I'm here because I wanted to replace the Jetta with an EV, preferred to stick with VW and the ID.4 is the only choice in the US right now. I put $100 down last July to reserve one. I put $400 more down in December. I then spent almost $400 to rent one for 3 days and really see if it was the car for me. It wasn't. I've never liked SUVs, thought I could tolerate this one, but it's too big. I was still sticking around because I like to hear what's going on with VW EVs and the EV industry in general. Maybe VW will someday sell a smaller EV in the US. But meanwhile, if someone asks about what people did or didn't like about the ID.4 or what they did or didn't like about some other brand, I'm going to tell them, if I think it'll be helpful. Not everyone that doesn't like the ID.4 or buys some other brand is a troll.

That's who I am. Who are you? How dedicated to VWs are you? Do you fix them? Do you write software for them? How many have you owned? For how many years?
I'm interested in your experiences with Tesla vehicles....I'm always open for new ideas and experiences with other EV brands.
And appreciate your work with VW and helping other car enthusiasts.

4,122 Posts
Well, let's see:

Since you are person who knows obd2 protocols, i would advise for Tesla.
Scan my Tesla app
Can bus adapter
Obdlink MX+ dongle
Obdlink app for dongle firmware updates
And you will have access for many different pids that will help you understand logic behind propulsion units...BMS active management and etc.
One very clever thing on Tesla electric motors are ability to use them as source for heating battery pack or assisting with heat pump efficiency.
They are capable to use it while standing still or when driving when necessary.
There is no PTC coolant heaters at all for battery or cabin heater.
PMSRM electric motor design is another clever thing.
And if you have patience to wait for next VW EV i would hold for ID7 passenger vehicle.... if you decide to wait you will not be disappointed.

1,498 Posts
Oops, I thought this was the VWIDTalk forum, not the TeslaHatingTalk forum. Bye.
Just FYI: Your replies seem to be to posts that have subsequently been deleted. If you wish, you can edit your posts to remove their content or (I'm not sure about this) you could “Report” your own posts and ask the moderators to remove them.

· Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
4,249 Posts
ID.4 ownership is not a requirement for membership in this forum. Being respectful to other members is a requirement. It seems that lately I have to remind some members about this.

· Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 First Edition
1,542 Posts
Many more people on the ID design team need to be fired.
To bring this thread back on topic somewhat:
Why do you say that, I am really curious.

And I have a hunch you might be conflating things a bit.
The ID line outside design has been lauded, by and large, from the ID3 on up through ID4 and ID5, and now ID BUZZ. That's where traditional auto designers have a ton of influence.
Interior design is hit and miss from what I read. Actual designers may be overruled by bean counters, product managers, parts bin realities, and a host of other factors.
And software design: I don't expect they were even asked.

Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,845 Posts
What's interesting to me about this story is that (a) if the VW board thought the Buzz or the ID.Life were truly awful, the designs never would have made it off the scratchpad... certainly not entered production (Buzz) or shown as a mock-up, and (b) there might have been quite the dust -up between Blume/board vs. Kaban over a car (Trinity) that we've only seen vague concept renderings of. And he wasn't "fired" fired, apparently, just demoted but kept onboard – sounds like with a shuffling of the management comes a bit of roster reorg, somewhat to be expected.

2,040 Posts
What's interesting to me about this story is that (a) if the VW board thought the Buzz or the ID.Life were truly awful, the designs never would have made it off the scratchpad... certainly not entered production (Buzz) or shown as a mock-up, and (b) there might have been quite the dust -up between Blume/board vs. Kaban over a car (Trinity) that we've only seen vague concept renderings of. And he wasn't "fired" fired, apparently, just demoted but kept onboard – sounds like with a shuffling is the management comes a bit of roster reorg, somewhat to be expected.
But drama about firings gets more clicks and views than reorgs, @Nai3t! And isn't that more important than anything else in the whole wide world?

100 Posts
Personally I do not understand why the VW ceo (Schaefer) is continually in the news doing bad things, disparaging the cars he has to sell now and disparaging one of his head designers. It’s either someone in the press has it out for him and VW or he’s terrible (at PR). It certainly seems to sound like he’s hating himself, or the organization. Scapegoating the designers seems odd as the process would not require designers to land on the head of a pin. There’s always an internal competition to get to a winning concept and as someone else mentioned, the board would approve everything.

The software may be not as good as it should be, but the exterior designs of the ID cars is extremely attractive. The Buzz is winning accolades based on its exterior and interior design
even though it’s range is low and it’s relative,ly slow ( I know it’s a van, not a sports car).

Also, the heads of VW design are getting shuffled, but they are not necessarily the designers of original ID family.

1,498 Posts
Why do you say that, I am really curious.
I say that most of the ID team needs to be fired because nearly every aspect of the car works less well than cars have historically worked.

It's is as if the designers said “Wow; we could do feature X this way!”, ignoring a hundred years of car designers figuring out how best to do certain things.

Pick any feature on the car from door handles to windshield wipers to interior controls to… and the ID.4's design is less useful and often, far less intuitive than the standard way of doing things.

They changed everything solely for the sake of change.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts