Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ID.4 has been leaked and now we can see what it looks like completely uncovered and all the wheel options that come with it.

Volkswagen ID.4
Volkswagen ID.4
Volkswagen ID.4

·
124 Posts
Wow, it looks better than I expected! I really like the flowing body lines down the side of the SUV. Also, of the 2 colors the white looks better than the grey in my opinion.

·
44 Posts
Here's a good take on the ID.4's design compared to other VW's:

First of all, the ID.4 will feature its own unique design language, one distantly related to gas-engined Volkswagens, and the resemblance to the smaller ID.3 hatch that's headed to Europe and a few other markets is clear. About the size of a Volkswagen Tiguan but with a smaller and lower greenhouse, the ID.4 features a pronounced shoulder line, roof and pillars in a contrasting darker color to the body, as well as wraparound front and rear lights.

There is even a grille of sorts and air intakes even though there'll be no engine on board at all, in what we think is an effort to keep the ID.4 looking a little more conventional while addressing its cooling needs. The sculpted skirt line adds a touch of off-road appearance to the doors, which feature Tesla-style recessed door handles.

A view of the rear hatch reveals just how much narrower the cabin is, compared to the sloping door sills—this is perhaps the most surprising aspect of the ID.4 that wasn't abundantly clear in teaser images published months earlier by Volkswagen. But the lower plastic panels on the door sides are surprising as well, even though the ID.4 wears tires not really meant for moderate off-roading. Wheel styles have been leaked as well, showing five different patterns with some common threads: two-tone designs with flat surfaces and five spokes each. It's a trendy look.

Overall, the design is a little more relaxed than that of the Tiguan, and perhaps a little less focused on versatility. But just about the only angle we haven't seen in production form is the interior, even though the smaller ID.3 hatch should give quite a few hints regarding what buyers can expect.

·
3 Posts
A view of the rear hatch reveals just how much narrower the cabin is, compared to the sloping door sills—this is perhaps the most surprising aspect of the ID.4 that wasn't abundantly clear in teaser images published months earlier by Volkswagen.
This is the same design as seen on the ID.3 and matches well with my experience when sitting in the ID.3: I was surprised by how easy it was to bang my head into the area where the door met the ceiling. I also felt that the ID.3 was somewhat narrower than the Golf in shoulder height and possibly in the door armrest height.

I expect the ID.4 is slightly wider than the ID.3, so the effect of the narrower upper part of the cabin may be less felt on that model.

·
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is the same design as seen on the ID.3 and matches well with my experience when sitting in the ID.3: I was surprised by how easy it was to bang my head into the area where the door met the ceiling. I also felt that the ID.3 was somewhat narrower than the Golf in shoulder height and possibly in the door armrest height.

I expect the ID.4 is slightly wider than the ID.3, so the effect of the narrower upper part of the cabin may be less felt on that model.
Hey @Oslo,do you mind saying how tall you are? I'm curious about how I'd fit in the ID.4. I'm 6'2 and I've been known to whack my head getting into smaller cars lol.

·
3 Posts
Hey @Oslo,do you mind saying how tall you are? I'm curious about how I'd fit in the ID.4. I'm 6'2 and I've been known to whack my head getting into smaller cars lol.
Around 190 cm tall. I suppose people differ in how much of their height is above and below the hip ...

I did not experience hitting the ceiling when sitting in the car or getting in or out. I've tried sitting in ID.3s both with and without the glass roof.

My experience was that when I moved my head, for instance when talking to the person in the other front seat, my head often came in contact with the extension of the a-pillar. The extension of the a-pillar seems to hold up the ceiling and is touched by the top part of the door when closed.

·
44 Posts
@Oslo How did you like the ID.3 seats? Did the bolsters seem accommodating enough for you and the average person?

@Mccurtiskelley also curious to know what the ID.4 release date timeline is like, if you're able to share that info.
Assuming you work at a dealer, what preparations are being made ahead of the ID.4's arrival? (ex. training, new servicing equipment/tools, chargers?)

·
124 Posts
Around 190 cm tall. I suppose people differ in how much of their height is above and below the hip ...

I did not experience hitting the ceiling when sitting in the car or getting in or out. I've tried sitting in ID.3s both with and without the glass roof.

My experience was that when I moved my head, for instance when talking to the person in the other front seat, my head often came in contact with the extension of the a-pillar. The extension of the a-pillar seems to hold up the ceiling and is touched by the top part of the door when closed.
I had read that the ID.3 and ID.4 would have a spacious interior and this helps reinforce that. I'm not nearly as tall as you so that good news for me.

·
3 Posts
I had read that the ID.3 and ID.4 would have a spacious interior and this helps reinforce that. I'm not nearly as tall as you so that good news for me.
The ID.3 feels more spacious in the passenger cabin than the Golf, but my impression is that this is mainly (only?) in the length-dimension. The single place where the extra space can really be seen is in that there is much more legroom for the backseat passengers compared to the Golf. Also, there is probably more space between the stearing wheel and the windscreen.

Due to the simplified dashboard and the removed gearstick, there is some more room between the front seats than in a Golf. This has not been used in any major way to provide additional clever storage space, the way I see it.

I view the current ID.3 as a starting point for VW. This model will be with us for many years and go through many iterations. VW has deliberatly kept the interior design of the ID.3 simple and clean to give them a canvas to work on over the coming years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts