Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey this is just for fun but I want to see if this is right. I'm guessing the majority of ID4 owners and interested buyers in the USA are:
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Professional, lots of engineers, especially in IT
  • Super practical
  • Appreciate Tesla, but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behavior
  • Previous cars were German
Can all of you chime in? Hopefully, I'm totally wrong and its a much broader group.

·
163 Posts
  • Mostly male- yes
  • In their 50's or over - yes
  • Professional, lots of engineers, especially in IT - yes
  • Super practical - depends on who you ask
  • Appreciate Tesla but dont feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behavior - yes
  • Want to end reliance on fossil fuels yes

·
68 Posts
  • Female (getting rather close to 50)
  • Mom (free Uber driver), housewife, caregiver, chef, etc...
  • Yes. Super practical.
  • Don't really care much for Tesla...or Elon

·
21 Posts
Hey this is just for fun but I want to see if this is right. I'm guessing the majority of ID4 owners and interested buyers in the USA are:
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Super practical
  • Appreciate Tesla but dont feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behavior
Can all of you chime in? Hopefully, I'm totally wrong and its a much broader group.
yes to all

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
337 Posts
  • Mostly male- yes
  • In their 50's or over - way over
  • Professional, lots of engineers, especially in IT - retired ChEng
  • Super practical - historically very practical, but gradually becoming less so
  • Appreciate Tesla but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behavior - went on the M3 wait list day one, but Tesla delayed making the base M3 available until the rebates dried up. Later drove a demo M3 and didn't like it anyway.
  • Germans - many but not all. Several new & used VWs, previous & current Mercedes, and a 944 and 928S.
edit to add 6th question

·
2023 ID 4 Pro S AWD Pearl Black/Galaxy
179 Posts
  • Mostly male- yes
  • In their 60's or over - yes
  • Professional, lots of engineers, especially in IT - yes
  • Super practical - Absolutely not or I would have bought a new Prius for half the price
  • Appreciate Tesla but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, and quality - I pick the car I like, I do not consider the politics of the CEO in my decision process or I wouldn't eat at Chick'Fil'A

·
2019 Leaf SL+, 2023 Leaf SV+
711 Posts
  • Mostly male <-- no, Female
  • In their 50's or over <-- yes
  • Professional, lots of engineers, especially in IT <-- professional, but in healthcare
  • Super practical <-- yes, and also impatient which is why I gave up on an ID.4 after waiting for one year. Now I am a double Leaf owner.
  • Appreciate Tesla but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behavior <-- Tesla was never on my radar, for a wide variety of reasons.

·
1 Posts
  • Mostly male---Yes
  • In their 50's or over---65
  • Professional, lots of engineers, especially in IT---Trained in Engineering--Professor Environmental Studies
  • Super practical---Absolutely Normal usage...Both Daughter live within 100 miles, so RT on one charge...
  • Appreciate Tesla but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behavior------Damn Right

Former BMW driver...

·
2023 Pro S AWD
30 Posts
  • Mostly male- Yes
  • In their 50's or over - No, and I would argue that the younger generation is more likely to try out an electric car and the "sacrifices" that come along with it, than others. Price point could be challenging for some younger folks, however.
  • Professional, lots of engineers, especially in IT - Yes
  • Super practical - Yes... or just like driving a fun car that does good for the environment.
  • I have owned 3 different Tesla's, all Model 3s, and not a single one of them would I consider a luxury car. Their charging network is FAR superior to all others, but Elon is an idiot and I refused to support him anymore.

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's interesting so far and I'm pretty sure that the price and the AWD's better performance is skewing the car to a slightly older / wealthier demographic.

When ID4 supply increases and VW builds more of the lower cost trim levels, I wonder whether VW, will get their targeted CRV and RAV 4 buyers?

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Super practical
  • Appreciate Tesla, but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behaviorPrevious cars were German
yes to all

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
  • Mostly male - entirely male
  • In their 50's or over - well over
  • Professional, lots of engineers, especially in IT - lots. Program & engineering manager
  • Super practical - mostly, but sometimes my heart trumps my head in vehicle acquisitions
  • Appreciate Tesla, but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behavior. - appreciate and thereby have had Tesla reservations but never pulled the trigger for pricing-value/quality of build reasons
  • Previous cars were German - yes, prior Audi’s
  • Curtail reliance on automotive fossil fuel use - Yes (but given commercial trucks and private pickups a drop in the bucket)

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Super practical
  • Appreciate Tesla, but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behaviorPrevious cars were German
Male
mid-70's
Retired federal civil servant
Tryer of new gadgets, hippy at heart, geezer in life
No to Tesla. Outrageous prices and questionable QA. Previous cars were an eclectic mix. Previous VWs: 1965 Beetle (my first new car), 1973 Squareback, 1983 9 passenger Vanagon, 1982 Rabbit.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts