61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
2022 VW ID.4 Pro S AWD w/ Gradient
123 Posts
This should really be a poll...
*Mostly male- Yes
*In their 50's or over - No, 41
*Professional, lots of engineers - Management
*Super practical - Wanted VW & EV so this was the only choice right now. I'm really a "car" guy though, not crossover/SUV. I've lowered it and a few other things. Basically making it a big hatch. Lol.

·
591 Posts
Car and Driver would beg to differ… “that's enough to rocket the mid-size SUV to 60 mph in just 3.3 seconds” (2023 BMW iX Review, Pricing, and Specs)
“In the case of the trunk, the iX was able to take 8 boxes. It's more than average, but a bit disappointing, considering the size of the car. For reference, the Volkswagen ID.4 was able to take 9, Skoda Enyaq iV 10, Hyundai Ioniq 5 11 boxes.”

The above quote is from Bjørn

When I travel and walk up to a car rental counter, the mid-size SUV is a Toyota RAV4. That’s not a mid-size SUV even if car rental places call it mid-size. I must say “standard” to a car-rental place so that they rent me a true mid-size SUV. The ID.4 is not a mid-size SUV by the North American standards but it sure is by the European ones. So, if you want to call the IX mid-size, then I need a “standard” one.

·
51 Posts
Oh my, is it so obvious?

Yes to most. I started college in engineering track, but after physical chemistry in sophomore year, I thought better of it, and went to med school.

On a side note, I used to have respect for Elon Musk, but his actions and words of late are really disappointing. Glad I never bought a Tesla and would likely never buy one at this point.

Reactions: Tank

·
1,587 Posts
Pretty much nailed it. Retired civil engineer for a state DOT. Very practical, now retired, wish Elon would focus more on Space X, this is my 3rd VW none of them were in a row, and after 911 I really wanted to focus on bankrupting OPEC.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
It's all interesting and it could be that most auto forums have mostly male participants. Pricing of the ID4 in the higher trim level takes the car to $50K + so, like a few of you mentioned, this will skew the buyers to be a little older. I'm sure most EV buyers are single family home owners, too, as you sort of have to be for the charging..

I wonder what VW's ID4 sales data really shows about the buyers across the world in terms of age and gender.. If anyone knows this, please share.

·
2022 ID.4 Pro S AWD
123 Posts
Hey this is just for fun but I want to see if this is right. I'm guessing the majority of ID4 owners and interested buyers in the USA are:
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Professional, lots of engineers, especially in IT
  • Super practical
  • Appreciate Tesla, but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behavior
  • Previous cars were German
Can all of you chime in? Hopefully, I'm totally wrong and its a much broader group.
Pretty much everything is right on. But just my 1st German car. So far so good (1028 miles, 3 weeks in).

·
2 Posts
  • NOPE 🙋🏻‍♀️ Mostly male
  • Yes In their 50's or over
  • Yes Professional, NO lots of engineers, especially in IT
  • LOL how to measure? Super practical
  • NOT AT ALL Appreciate Tesla, but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behavior
  • My first car was a 1965 VW - no German cars since 1983. Previous cars were German

·
40 Posts
Hey this is just for fun but I want to see if this is right. I'm guessing the majority of ID4 owners and interested buyers in the USA are:
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Super practical
  • Appreciate Tesla, but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behavior
Can all of you chime in? Hopefully, I'm totally wrong and its a much broader group.
75 year old husband and wife team
Vocational educator and registered nurse
Bought on a fluke, one week after asking about availability - Aug 22
Traded 2020 BMW X5 - loaded but costly to fuel
Retired in Tucson

·
5 Posts
1)Male
2)Mid 50s
3) Law enforcement (But Engineering student and science geek in college)
4)Practical and realistic.
5) Like Tesla but find them slightly boring, question build quality and price made it a no go. Don't see anything wrong with Musk's behavior
6) 1st Foreign made car. Owned Mercury, Ford and Ford and Chevy trucks. Drove large gas guzzling pick ups for last 16 years and didn't see further need since I'm not hunting anymore / VW deal was just too good.

·
2022 VW id.4 Pro S
3 Posts
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Super practical
Well ...

Male
Professional, yes, but not engineer or IT (used to be IT, though)
Super practical? Not necessarily, but when it comes to cars I generally take function/substance over form/style
I appreciate what Tesla has done to push EVs forward, but that's about it.
This is my 3rd VW - had a mark VII Golf and an eGolf previously (with a Mazda CX-5 in between those).

What I loved about both my Golfs was that they were a nice balance - just enough style and features to feel like a nice car, but ultimately very practical. The id.4 feels, in many ways, like an evolution of that concept, and the larger size & better range makes it a better fit for my life than the eGolf was.

·
1 Posts
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Super practical
Spot on! Except this is my first German car.

·
9 Posts
Female
In my 30s
Professional- yes, but a veterinarian. I'm married to a civil engineer if that counts?
Practical
I do appreciate Tesla. They look pretty. But I don't make enough money for them and are they worth that much?
Previous cars actually were Chevy SUVs and for a short time a Jeep. I came from driving a 2004 Trailblazer, so wanted something to say sorry to all the gas I have consumed driving only a gas guzzler since I started driving....

·
Kings Red RWD Gradient
68 Posts
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Super practical
Male
ex-Business Development Director, Medical Products
Practical
Tesla-meh, can't stand Musk
Merc, Audi, BMW, Jag, Sunbeam

·
1 Posts
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Super practical
Yes to most, especially the Elon Musk part

·
ID4 PRO AWD
3 Posts
  • Male
  • Over 50
  • Not an engineer but have always done the IT in jobs I have held for last 30 years.
  • Very practical
  • Appreciate Tesla, but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, Although I like Elon Musk and think that Tesla has really driven the EV market.
  • Never had a German car of my own but dad had a couple of VW Bugs growing up.

·
Tesla Model 3 (LR, RWD, 2018) and Volkswagen ID.4 (Pro S, RWD, 2022)
13 Posts
Mostly male - Yes.
50's or over - Yes.
Professional, Engineers - Yes & No (not I.T.).
Super practical - Yes.
Tesla - Model 3 was a good choice in 2018, but a wider range of choices exists now. Our respect for Elon & his antics has plummeted. No more Teslas.
Previous cars - 1st cars were Pontiac, Merc/Fords, Datsun, Corolla, 2 Rabbits, 2 Tercels, 2 Civics, 3 Prius' (1 PHEV)
(The bonus question) Fossil fuels - Get off them now. We're trying to do our part to make the planet better for those coming after us.

Charlie (Happy Thanksgiving, friends!)

·
16 Posts
  • Female
  • 60s
  • retired educator, artist/writer
  • Super practical, idealistic (have waited for my own electric car since age 10 or so), political and fed up/despondent by turns
  • Appreciate Tesla' s charging apparatus, but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behavior
  • Previous cars were Japanese, fire prone Bolt, currently 1986 Vanagon (was supposed to be for camping only!), waiting waiting waiting for ID4 to appear on west coast
  • Yes, hoping to make small amends for my part in fossil fuel consumption (but not gutsy enough to give up cars entirely)

61 - 80 of 124 Posts