Volkswagen ID Forum banner
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
6 Posts
Hey this is just for fun but I want to see if this is right. I'm guessing the majority of ID4 owners and interested buyers in the USA are:
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Professional, lots of engineers, especially in IT
  • Super practical
  • Appreciate Tesla, but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behavior
  • Previous cars were German
Can all of you chime in? Hopefully, I'm totally wrong and its a much broader group.
True of me excep that profession was not tech

·
109 Posts
  • Female
  • Barely (just turned 50)
  • Professional, lots of engineers, especially in IT - attorney
  • Super practical - Not at all ( I may have a wee problem with buying cars)
  • Appreciate Tesla, but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behavior - Would never buy a Tesla. I can't stand Musk.
  • Previous cars were German - No - never had a VW until this year. I recently bought a Tiguan and of course the ID 4. My last daily driver was a Chevy Bolt.
  • Definitely want to end our reliance on fossil fuels.

Reactions: Huey52 and Tank

·
2 Posts
Hey this is just for fun but I want to see if this is right. I'm guessing the majority of ID4 owners and interested buyers in the USA are:
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Super practical
  • Appreciate Tesla, but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behavior
Can all of you chime in? Hopefully, I'm totally wrong and its a much broader group.

·
2 Posts
Not so- female in 70s, drove Volvos forever. But when I was approaching 160k on my XC70 and too many winters on salty VT roads, ! knew my next car would be electric. Musk is too much of an overgrown boy, and too egotistical. Besides I live in a small town where only car dealer is a VW dealer. Love my iD4 AWD. Will see how I do thru my first winter with it.

·
21 Posts
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Super practical
Speaking for myself:
  • Male
  • Age 69 when I took possession of my 2021 id.4 Pro S in December 2021.
  • 1975 B.S. Mechanical Engineering & Aerospace Sciences.
  • More practical than not.
  • Test drove a Model Y and (technically) think it is superior to the id.4 in nearly EVERY area where it can be measured . . . but by my estimate, at the end of 3 years, the id.4 "total cost of ownership" is $30,000. LESS.
  • For the last 20 years I've been driving a 2000 Porsche 986 Boxster, but I like my id.4 so much I'm preparing the Boxster for SALE.

·
9 Posts
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Super practical
Dead on for me (except previous German car) but my wife loves the ID4 and she is none of the above. She loves the car because it is a luxury SUV with great features and super comfort.

·
17 Posts
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Super practical
Female
way over 50, like 82!
retired from mandatory homemaking and professional work
VW driver since '82
determined to retire fossil fuel however I can
musk? Hmmm
dislike my big ID.4 FE but love passing gas stations

·
91 Posts
The OP's profile fits like a glove that's missing a finger. I owned a '77 Scirocco that was end-of-life at 5 years old and have owned reliable Japanese cars that lasted longer than I wanted to drive them since then. Except for that Ford Contour which I regretted buying. Fingers crossed that this variance from my usual buying patten doesn't bite me in the a$$!

Reactions: Huey52 and Tank

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
The OP's profile fits like a glove that's missing a finger. I owned a '77 Scirocco that was end-of-life at 5 years old and have owned reliable Japanese cars that lasted longer than I wanted to drive them since then. Except for that Ford Contour which I regretted buying. Fingers crossed that this variance from my usual buying patten doesn't bite me in the a$$!
My first car was a ‘76 Scirocco. I loved that car, but by the time I took possessiong, it was a money pit.

·
1,591 Posts
My Mercury Mystique (fancy Ford Contour) was the accursed vehicle. People hit it 3 times, multiple recalls, ate tires, accelerated like an arthritic turtle, left tail light was hard to see, paint peeled off if the hood etc.

·
2 Posts
Female. Over 60. Former architect Currently Educational technologist (IT-ish) Super practical? I’d say teachable (ID4 teaches me) Previous cars all German (90% VWs) No interest in sharing Elon’s dreams; haven’t met a Tesla owner I’d want to get to know yet; but plenty of interesting non-Tesla EV owners out there
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Super practical

·
Blue 2022 RWD Pro S no gradient
76 Posts
Female, 70, retired SW engineer, practical, no interest in Tesla or Musk. My first 2 cars were VW beetles, followed by Hondas and Saturns. My last car pre ID.4 was an ‘03 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix in disguise). I loved that car but don’t regret my Id.4 purchase at all.

·
5 Posts
So yes
  • I am male
  • Im in my mid 60's
  • Professional was in IT and innovation
  • Too practical
  • Appreciate Tesla, but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality, no Apple Car Play or poor cell phone integration. In terms of Musk never will buy a TESLA now that he let TRUMP ON TWITTER. What is he thinking? Also trying to negotiate an end the Ukranian war... Stick to building products or space ships.
  • I bought a BMW 7 series and hated it!!! I surprised I bought German again after that experience
Can all of you chime in? Hopefully, I'm totally wrong and it's a much broader group.
[/QUOTE]

·
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid (but not for long.)
156 Posts
So yes
  • I am male
  • Im in my mid 60's
  • Professional was in IT and innovation
  • Too practical
  • Appreciate Tesla, but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality, no Apple Car Play or poor cell phone integration. In terms of Musk never will buy a TESLA now that he let TRUMP ON TWITTER. What is he thinking? Also trying to negotiate an end the Ukranian war... Stick to building products or space ships.
  • I bought a BMW 7 series and hated it!!! I surprised I bought German again after that experience
Can all of you chime in? Hopefully, I'm totally wrong and it's a much broader group.
[/QUOTE]
I've owned a VW Vanagon and a Jetta, two Mercedes and three Porsches. IMO, they were all excellent cars. I even sold two of them for a profit. I'll take German engineering over Asian and American, even though they usually cost more. As previously mentioned, "You usually get what you pay for.":cool: YMMV.

·
2023 Aurora Red Metallic Pro S AWD (soon I hope)
12 Posts
Am I really that predictable?
  • Mostly male -Yup
  • In their 50's or over - 64 (wow, when did that happen)
  • Professional, lots of engineers, especially in IT - Software Engineer (retired)
  • Super practical - I'm a sailor, 'nuff said.
  • Appreciate Tesla, but don't feel good about the value given the pricing, quality and Musk's behavior - Drove an M3, did not like the interior. Was set for a Volvo XC 40 till I stepped in the ProS ID.4 AWD. It ticked all my boxes.
  • Previous cars were German - mostly. 3 VW's, 1 Porsche and an Audi Q5. Over the years - Mini Cooper (original), Saab, Jaguar, Lexus and Subaru.
  • Nice to no longer be in thrall to big oil.

·
2022 ID.4 Pro S AWD
86 Posts
  • Mostly male
  • In their 50's or over
  • Super practical
Male
Physicist
frugal and practical
Considered Tesla Model Y but price just kept escalating. Musk hadn't gone fully cookoo when I ordered the ID.4 a year ago, but now glad I didn't give him more money (although I do own a few shares of Tesla, that have tanked quite a bit lately).
Never had a German car before: Rambler, Chevy Impala, Honda Civic, Honda Civic wagon, Pontiac Aztek, Chevy Bolt EV, VW ID.4. I actually consider the VW a bit of a luxury. The Bolt does 95% of what I need at half the price. I only wanted the ID.4 to replace my wife's 2000 Nissan Xterra so it needed AWD and high ground clearance. Faster charging was a plus, but the bigger battery to charge reduces that value somewhat. Lower efficiency of the VW is a minus too.

·
AWD Pro S Tourmaline/Cosmic Reserved- 7/05/22, locked- 10/25/22
23 Posts
Yes to all except the most of my previous cars being German. I think 2 of my dozen or so cars have been German. Otherwise, your list is like looking in the mirror. My wife and I were about to buy a Model Y last July, when Musk started putting on his leather jacket for his big shark jump. I’m still waiting for it, but I wasn’t in a big hurry anyway. I’m 50, what’s the hurry?

101 - 120 of 124 Posts