Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
214 Posts
The new ev's from Hyundai and Kia on paper certainly seem to make the ID.4 already an outdated vehicle! Interesting article on the New Kia ev6, Kia EV6 Debuts With A Porsche Taycan Beating 0-62 MPH Time Of 3.5 Seconds | Carscoops
The Hyundai/Kia have been discussed in other threads, however I'm not sure I understand what about them makes the ID.4 "outdated". We don't know price, can't order them, aren't sure what features will be offered when they do become available in the US, and what (likely) features are different aren't necessary for everyone.

Even when they become availalble, I'm not sure I'll feel like I should have buyer's remorse or be envious. It's different, yes, but does that necessarily detract from the VW?

·
Glacier White/Lunar Grey 1st Edition with 19" Wheels
166 Posts
The new ev's from Hyundai and Kia on paper certainly seem to make the ID.4 already an outdated vehicle! Interesting article on the New Kia ev6, Kia EV6 Debuts With A Porsche Taycan Beating 0-62 MPH Time Of 3.5 Seconds | Carscoops
Every EV on the horizon makes currently available cars look outdated. The technology in this sector is improving by leaps and bounds every few months now that its caught the attention of mainstream automakers. Kia is targeting an early 2022 launch in the US. I'd hazard a guess that the timeline is a bit optimistic and that most US consumers won't see an EV6 until summer 2022 or later. If you can afford to wait until the EV6, its probably worth it. Although, right about when you will take delivery, there will probably be a new car being teased with more range, faster charging, improved driver assistance, etc.

·
267 Posts
I'm afraid it's not going to move the needle on affordability. The starting price for reservations in England equals $56,100 and in Germany equals $52,700.

Edit - the German price includes VAT which I think is 19% so the price without would be $44,300. Using Google translation it states "and optionally with large battery" so this base price must come with the smaller battery pack.

Reactions: ChristophW

·
267 Posts
Every EV on the horizon makes currently available cars look outdated. The technology in this sector is improving by leaps and bounds every few months now that its caught the attention of mainstream automakers. Kia is targeting an early 2022 launch in the US. I'd hazard a guess that the timeline is a bit optimistic and that most US consumers won't see an EV6 until summer 2022 or later. If you can afford to wait until the EV6, its probably worth it. Although, right about when you will take delivery, there will probably be a new car being teased with more range, faster charging, improved driver assistance, etc.
That's why leasing is the better option for those that need the latest and greatest. I agree that EV6 is going to be tough to come by through 2022 if at all as I think I read Kia is allocating only 20,000 to North America.

Reactions: FredT

·
ID.4 1st blue
122 Posts
It's different, yes, but does that necessarily detract from the VW?
Exactly. We live in a world with easily 17+ compact SUVs on the market. Why can't there be several BEVs with each having different strengths and targeting different people. I've not seen anything from the Ioniq 5 or EV6 that makes me regret the ID 4 in the least. The design of both are very cool and hip and totally not for me. 800v system w/ faster DCFC is a neat trick but I really don't care since I won't use it very often and at best it will save me 15-30 min. Vehicle to grid is nice and the ability to power a toaster in the woods is fine but certainly not game changers. Even when solid state arrives in 3 to 5 years and ranges go up a lot as long as my car does what I need I'll be fine. No EV envy here.

·
470 Posts
Exactly. We live in a world with easily 17+ compact SUVs on the market. Why can't there be several BEVs with each having different strengths and targeting different people. I've not seen anything from the Ioniq 5 or EV6 that makes me regret the ID 4 in the least. The design of both are very cool and hip and totally not for me. 800v system w/ faster DCFC is a neat trick but I really don't care since I won't use it very often and at best it will save me 15-30 min. Vehicle to grid is nice and the ability to power a toaster in the woods is fine but certainly not game changers. Even when solid state arrives in 3 to 5 years and ranges go up a lot as long as my car does what I need I'll be fine. No EV envy here.
Plus the Vehicle to Grid at least on the Euro Spec Ioniq 5 models are only an option on their top spec model. Still think that both Ioniq 5 and EV6 are going to be much more expensive and based on all reports are going to be limited in availability. Also, I am concerned that these cars having much longer wheelbases and width will be harder to drive in parking lots and narrow roads.

Also, as I pointed out before only the XC40/C40 and ID.4/Q4 have 8+ inches of ground clearance. All other CUV/SUV EVs have around 5.5 to 6.5 inches. They are more like bloated cars than a CUV/SUV. I prefer car body styles but if I am going to buy a vehicle over 5ft tall I would like to actually have more ground clearance.

·
2021 Pro-S
73 Posts

·
163 Posts
One difference, if it matters to anyone, is cargo capacity. The id.4 is 30 cu ft/64 cu ft (seats down) and the EV6 is 18 cu ft/ 46 cu ft.
The exterior of the IONIQ 5 is 2 inches longer than the ID.4, and the EV6, at 184.2 inches, is 4 inches longer than the ID.4. I think I'd prefer the smaller exterior dimensions (at least the length) of the ID.4.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
There are multiple vehicles in just about every vehicle segment, and yet people still choose one vehicle over another. I'm sure every RAV-4 owner has a reason they chose it over a CR-V or Rogue, or Sportage, or Tucson, or Tiguan, or...the list goes on. I'm certain the ID.4 will still be a great choice for many people, even in a couple years where there are more compact SUV EV's on the market. Choice is good, it doesn't mean a new choice will automatically be better than existing vehicles (that will no doubt evolve over time).

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts
One difference, if it matters to anyone, is cargo capacity. The id.4 is 30 cu ft/64 cu ft (seats down) and the EV6 is 18 cu ft/ 46 cu ft.
That is misleading - you are quoting European cargo measurement for the Ioniq vs U.S. measurement for the ID.4. The ID.4 VDA is 543 L (19.2 ft³) (granted it will be larger overall as the roof doesn't slope as much).

Reactions: theboomr

·
407 Posts
Right now this is all hype coming from Hyundai and Kia. There is nothing in the showrooms and who knows what the price will be. If they follow the same sales strategy as their present EVs only the ZEV states will receive any! I will stick with the ID.4.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
706 Posts
I agree with pretty much everything that was said above. But what gets me the most is this unhealthy obsession with 0-60 mph times, like in the quoted article. Stop that already! All current EVs have tons of torque and can take off fast, end of story.

·
470 Posts
I agree with pretty much everything that was said above. But what gets me the most is this unhealthy obsession with 0-60 mph times, like in the quoted article. Stop that already! All current EVs have tons of torque and can take off fast, end of story.
What you don’t live your life a quarter mile at a time like Vin Diesel?

It is funny to think a sub 6 second 0-60 time and 300+hp on the ID.4 AWD is considered somewhat pedestrian now.

·
407 Posts
I think this is a US thing. I have never been influenced by 0 to 60 times. Nobody in their right mind drives like that. I feel it is a promotional gimmick. I also believe range anxiety is over played. 98% of my driving is less than 50 miles at a time. In the past year I have taken a few round trips of less than 200 miles.

·
ID.4 1st blue
122 Posts
I think this is a US thing. I have never been influenced by 0 to 60 times. Nobody in their right mind drives like that. I feel it is a promotional gimmick. I also believe range anxiety is over played. 98% of my driving is less than 50 miles at a time. In the past year I have taken a few round trips of less than 200 miles.
YES!

I also think the car enthusiasts who make up the majority of the Auto Review Industrial Complex seem obsessed with range & speed as something easily quantifiable. Faster speed = better! Longer range = better! I get that it's easy to compare numbers across various vehicles so it becomes sort of a crutch and gives the appearance of objectiveness.

I think we also can blame Tesla for some of this by pushing their 0-60 numbers so hard and for inflating their range estimates.

·
407 Posts
YES!

I also think the car enthusiasts who make up the majority of the Auto Review Industrial Complex seem obsessed with range & speed as something easily quantifiable. Faster speed = better! Longer range = better! I get that it's easy to compare numbers across various vehicles so it becomes sort of a crutch and gives the appearance of objectiveness.

I think we also can blame Tesla for some of this by pushing their 0-60 numbers so hard and for inflating their range estimates.
But if it were not for Tesla we would not be where we are today.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
706 Posts
But if it were not for Tesla we would not be where we are today.
That is true, and I admire them for that. Elon’s sheer tenacity and big vision is amazing. Doesn’t make their numbers game better, however.

·
141 Posts
I'm afraid it's not going to move the needle on affordability. The starting price for reservations in England equals $56,100 and in Germany equals $52,700.

Edit - the German price includes VAT which I think is 19% so the price without would be $44,300. Using Google translation it states "and optionally with large battery" so this base price must come with the smaller battery pack.
The Kia definitely looks like a more upscale vehicle than the ID4. Both in terms of cost and features.

The base EV6 is 45K Euros in Germany. I assume that's with the small battery and motor. That's the same as the ID4 with the large battery.

The EV6 GT price is in Audi e-tron territory.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts