Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am probably not alone with my recent reconsidering of the ID.4 especially with the delays and the for me rather important missing heat pump. I will for sure keep my reservation of the ID.4 AWD but am wondering what others are thinking especially about Hyundai’s new EV platform and how it compares to the ID4. Also, when are competitors available in the US and will AWD be available and comparable?

Thanks for your input and discussion!

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
528 Posts
We are waiting for the AWD so imagine the Ariya will be available by then so will definitely be cross-shopping them (as well as the Y if they reinstate federal credits for Teslas).

I am curious on how the Ioniq 5 will look and the specs it will have. There is still little info on it. I will be very impressed if it comes with an 800 volt system. I did like the 45 concept car. Reminds me of an early 90's Lancia Delta.

Reactions: Huey52

·
21 Posts
The only other EV I'd consider is a Tesla. I just don't think the Ariya looks good and I don't think Nissan is as serious about EVs as VW is. Think about it, The leaf came out in 2011 and Nissan hasn't really done much since that.

VW is going all in on EVs, full steam ahead. Makes me have faith that they're building a product that can compete with Tesla, because that truly is the benchmark.

The Ioniq line will be interesting to watch. Might be another great alternative for EV shoppers, but seems to be still pretty far out.

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Ioniq line will be interesting to watch. Might be another great alternative for EV shoppers, but seems to be still pretty far out.
The Ioniq 5 would be the one closets to the ID.4 I think and for some reason I thought production starts in 2021 but I am not sure where I read that (maybe Insideevs). I am very much looking forward to some more information. Then again, I read about many Hyundai recalls for the Kona and Ioniq recently. Not sure how they compare in quality with VW.

·
49 Posts
I think the Ioniq 5 is a very interesting car. I heard that deliveries in the US are to start late next year. The car is built on a new modular platform and has many innovations. Hyundai has some of the most efficient EVs on the market. They have a disconnect for the front drive that disconnects its friction losses when the capability isn’t needed. It can charge on both 400 and 800 volt quick chargers. And there’s a lot more, too, a lot of engineering improvements over the present model.

·
528 Posts
I think the Ioniq 5 is a very interesting car. I heard that deliveries in the US are to start late next year. The car is built on a new modular platform and has many innovations. Hyundai has some of the most efficient EVs on the market. They have a disconnect for the front drive that disconnects its friction losses when the capability isn’t needed. It can charge on both 400 and 800 volt quick chargers. And there’s a lot more, too, a lot of engineering improvements over the present model.

Thank you for the video, just wish I realized I could do English subtitles before watching half the video in Korean.

It will be interesting to see how they handle vehicle-2-grid. We don't have many blackouts where I live so can't justify the home battery system but having the ability to use the car for backup would be nice (the biggest gripe is that when blackouts do occur, the solar system shuts off so even if I were to get enough power from solar, I can't use any of it and it goes to waste).

·
78 Posts
I can see using the Inoniq 5 to power some equipment on camping trips at night time. The 800V is going to be game changer for 80% charging undern18min to help minimize crowding at SC stations should BEV become very popular in the next couple of years until many more SC stations get built out like Tesla.

·
217 Posts
This is a non-technical item, but Nissan signed on with GM in the lawsuit to void the California emissions standards. Both have recently recanted, but I will remember this for future purchasing decisions..

·
45 Posts
I think I'm in the same boat as a few of you. For the longest time, I've been all in on the ID4 RWD but then I started to see more info on the Nissan and the Hyundai and am keeping my options open. If they are all going to be about the same price with similar range, I think I'll stick with the ID.4 but could be swayed if for some reason the Nissan or Hyundai have longer range or are about $5,000 cheaper.

·
528 Posts
Reactions: ChristophW

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
91 Posts
I like a lot that I see about the Ariya, but I have a suspicion that it will end up costing far more than the ID.4. They state that it will start at "around $40k", but the Leaf starts at just over $30k and to get the long range version with the technology package it's well over $40k. That's not even including the new all-wheel drive option. I know there are major discounts on the Leaf (I bought mine for over $7k off MSRP), but that still suggests ~$54k MSRP for the long range Ariya with Propilot, and maybe $47k from a dealer desperate to move a car. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised about the price when they finally release it, but the ID.4 seems likely to be the best value.

Reactions: ted99

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
367 Posts
I like a lot that I see about the Ariya, but I have a suspicion that it will end up costing far more than the ID.4. They state that it will start at "around $40k", but the Leaf starts at just over $30k and to get the long range version with the technology package it's well over $40k. That's not even including the new all-wheel drive option. I know there are major discounts on the Leaf (I bought mine for over $7k off MSRP), but that still suggests ~$54k MSRP for the long range Ariya with Propilot, and maybe $47k from a dealer desperate to move a car. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised about the price when they finally release it, but the ID.4 seems likely to be the best value.
That's how I see it too.
ID.4 may be delayed, but it is very real, with a lot of details out in the open, and a compelling price. The other two - still very much vaporware and promises.

Reactions: ted99 and TimD

·
49 Posts
I would be very surprised if Hyundai‘s isn’t much more efficient than the ID .4. It is an 800 volt system with a silicon carbide inverter and uses a heat pump designed to manage all the car’s temperature requirements (passengers and electronics). Hyundai has a very good reputation for making efficient electric cars.

·
28 Posts
Thanks. Interesting to see if the same specs make it to the U.S. The range is disappointing (for comparison, WLTP range for ID.4 is 320 miles, AWD will likely be 290 miles).
That's with a battery capacity of 58.0 kWh (Ioniq 5)

·
528 Posts
That's with a battery capacity of 58.0 kWh (Ioniq 5)
Let's hope so. The actual Austrian site had no reference to the battery size, although also doesn't state a range of "up to" either (always an indication they are referring to the longest range variant).

·
28 Posts
Yes you may have a point. For what it's worth here is part of an article about the Ioniq 5; "...The Ioniq 5 First Edition has a dual motor specification and a maximum output of 313 horsepower. When fully charged, the maximum range is 450km (280 miles) based on 58kWh battery and under WLTP homologation".

·
528 Posts
Yes you may have a point. For what it's worth here is part of an article about the Ioniq 5; "...The Ioniq 5 First Edition has a dual motor specification and a maximum output of 313 horsepower. When fully charged, the maximum range is 450km (280 miles) based on 58kWh battery and under WLTP homologation".
Great! More importantly, it says the 73 kWh battery to be able to achieve 550 km WLTP. WLTP is always very optimistic - for back of the envelope conversion, I always us 2 km WLTP = 1 mile EPA [for reference, ID.4 is 490 km WLTP / 250 mi EPA; I-Pace is 470 km WLTP / 234 mi EPA]. This would have the 73 kWh at roughly 275 miles EPA.

Now we just wait to see what the final version will look like...

Reactions: ted99
1 - 20 of 130 Posts