Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just read consumer reports on reliability and quality of car manufacturers and only two (including Tesla) are rated worse than VW while Hyundai is rated quite high.

Since I have the AWD version reserved, there will be time to decide and hopefully reviews will be available for the Ioniq 5. it will be interesting.

·
32 Posts
I just read consumer reports on reliability and quality of car manufacturers and only two (including Tesla) are rated worse than VW while Hyundai is rated quite high.
I'm curious how :

A) e-Golf quality/reliability compares to regular Golfs.
B) German-built VWs compare to US-built VWs.

But point taken. Maybe VW will be better with EVs, we'll see.

·
37 Posts
The Ioniq 5 would be the one closets to the ID.4 I think and for some reason I thought production starts in 2021 but I am not sure where I read that (maybe Insideevs). I am very much looking forward to some more information. Then again, I read about many Hyundai recalls for the Kona and Ioniq recently. Not sure how they compare in quality with VW.
Hyundai says the IONIQ 5 will be unveiled in February. I’m looking forward to comparing it to the ID.4. Hyundai Motor Company Teases First Image of IONIQ 5 - Hyundai Newsroom

·
156 Posts
Inside EV says Ioniq 5 will be introduced next month. Another cost to VW delaying the US introduction of the ID.4. One can only hope that the ID.4 has put down a marker for price that Hyundai will feel compelled to meet. Or, that Ioniq 5 features will put down a marker for the ID.4 to meet.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm curious how :

A) e-Golf quality/reliability compares to regular Golfs.
B) German-built VWs compare to US-built VWs.

But point taken. Maybe VW will be better with EVs, we'll see.
Indeed that would be interesting to know. The only clue I got from CR is that the IS made Atlas has dramatic quality problems. Also the Mexican-built new Jettas have noise issues and the Golf GTI (is that european-built) has engine cooling issues. On the other hand, the standard Golf got very good marks. I hope that the EVs are a better.

As a side note, the Tesla models are all in the lower half.

Overall scores: Hyundai 62, VW 36, Tesla 29. but not all is bad, VW improved in the ranking from last year (Tesla dropped, Hyundai stayed the same).

·
20 Posts
As an owner of 14 previous VWs (from an early 1965 bug to a 2018 Atlas), my take on VW longevity/quality is that the German units tend to have unique problems based upon something that happened during the manufacture of a particular car. Where many top-ranked manufacturers are known for their rigorous quality system that makes sure that ALL vehicles will have the same good spots AND bad ones, my VW experience is that if I get one that is good for the first year or so, then I keep it!

We've had some lemons and we just bite-the-bullet and dump them as quickly as possible because they historically turn into many, many individual unit problems- A rabbit that went through front brakes monthly, a Van that would loosen every nut and bolt as soon as I put the wrench away, a Vanagon that had electrical problems because the wires were tie-wrapped to the exhaust so the heat affected every electrical controller in the entire car, a Vanagon that would regularly break the 4th gear ring requiring a transmission rebuild...

On the plus side, We've still got a 2007 Passat V6 4mo Wagon that should have been a quality bummer from mile 1 but the ONLY 2 issues (aside from scheduled maintenance) have been a leaky sunroof and an ACC unit failure. The 2018 Atlas has required new front brakes (not just pads) and a quart of radiator fluid - both under warranty.

(4 out of 14 looosers... 10 great, fun cars)

I like the quirky-ness and the seats that fit my aging body anytime over having the same problems with EVERY unit produced that happens with a number of manufacturers.

I'm planning on getting one of the best quality ID.4 1st editions from Germany and keeping it just short of main battery replacement...

YMMV

·
35 Posts
On the plus side, We've still got a 2007 Passat V6 4mo Wagon that should have been a quality bummer from mile 1 but the ONLY 2 issues (aside from scheduled maintenance) have been a leaky sunroof and an ACC unit failure. The 2018 Atlas has required new front brakes (not just pads) and a quart of radiator fluid - both under warranty.
I still have a 2003 Passat wagon. It's the most utilitarian vehicle I've owned, with a huge cargo area. I have hauled the most amazing amount of stuff either iside or on the roof over the years. Unfortunately the ID.4 is not as space efficient, but hopefully it will be enough. I can't wait to see how many banana boxes Bjorn Nyland can get in it

·
50 Posts
If you keep the car that long, is conceivable to pay for a new battery. At that point, a new battery should be much improved and around the cost of new new transmission in an ICE vehicle. Obviously the tech could be a bit outdated and there will be wear and tear on the car, but the car may be worth keeping. Too idealistic? This coming from a gut with a 2004 vehicle.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Me too, exactly that. 😊
I'm planning on getting one of the best quality ID.4 1st editions from Germany and keeping it just short of main battery replacement...

YMMV
I am hoping for the same. I have a 2006 Jetta. We had our ups and downs but by now I can fix most of the little things. I don’t expect that to be possible for the ID.4 anymore but also hope that the German versions are of good quality. Still, the Ioniq is something I will keep in mind while waiting for the fall to come. Finger crossed that the Jetta will last.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My initial guess is that the long range ionic with 75 kwh battery will be priced way higher than an ID4.
That would then not be feasible for us. I also read that the reservation fee for the Ioniq might not be refundable or the reservation can not be canceled after the second step. That would also be unacceptable to me. I like that I can still step away from the ID.4 if I just don’t like it (which I don’t expect from what I saw so far).

·
151 Posts
@TT97,

If fully folding seats are true look forward to seeing Bjørn Nyland do his -25c winter camp test with it.

The Kia CV which is also being released in the next month or so. Should also be a really good option.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts