Volkswagen ID Forum banner

61 - 80 of 130 Posts

VW ID.4 1st (originally Pro, changed to 1st in Jan).
I'm planning on getting one of the best quality ID.4 1st editions from Germany and keeping it just short of main battery replacement...
That was my plan when I got the Kona :(.

1st Edition - Arriving in US
Erick you beat me to it! I have a reservation in for an Ocean too.....hope it actually shows up!

View attachment 1424
Love the exterior design. Especially the orange. The prototype interiors have been a little to modern for me. On my watch list.

... Once you begin to factor in position of the panels, angle of the sun, clouds, dirt, temperature, panel efficiency, etc., ...
Exactly, even at noon, the panels are horizontal instead of tilted towards the sun. Then clouds, or city shadows, or even a shadow from trees or homes will factor in. Probably best out on the highway on a cloudless sunny summer day (daily winter max solar panel energy output is about 20% of summer energy generation here, on a clear blue day). It's a combination of the low sun angle, and fewer hours of daylight.

Each time my neighbor asks me why don't they just put solar cells on the car roof, I tell him to look at my roof covered by 28 LG panels that can make 7.5 kW (power), which was the same as my chargepoint station, but now less than the 11 kW for ID.4! The LG panels facing east at low angle can do about 60 kWhr/day max (energy) summer to about 12 kWhr/day max deep winter (if there are no clouds, and if cleared of snow). hmm, so not even a full "tank" if empty to 77 kWhr, likely not a common situation for me, anyway.

But, solar panels on cars have two things going for them, they could solve the dead (flat) 12V battery problem that all EVs eventually seem to encounter at some point, and they look cool :)

Exactly, even at noon, the panels are horizontal instead of tilted towards the sun. Then clouds, or city shadows, or even a shadow from trees or homes will factor in. Probably best out on the highway on a cloudless sunny summer day (daily winter max solar panel energy output is about 20% of summer energy generation here, on a clear blue day). It's a combination of the low sun angle, and fewer hours of daylight.

Each time my neighbor asks me why don't they just put solar cells on the car roof, I tell him to look at my roof covered by 28 LG panels that can make 7.5 kW (power), which was the same as my chargepoint station, but now less than the 11 kW for ID.4! The LG panels facing east at low angle can do about 60 kWhr/day max (energy) summer to about 12 kWhr/day max deep winter (if there are no clouds, and if cleared of snow). hmm, so not even a full "tank" if empty to 77 kWhr, likely not a common situation for me, anyway.

But, solar panels on cars have two things going for them, they could solve the dead (flat) 12V battery problem that all EVs eventually seem to encounter at some point, and they look cool :)
I agree that there is some benefit to panels on a car, though I'm not sure whether it's enough to justify the cost. I have looked at EV trips to a remote place like Big Bend, which is miles from any kind of charger and would be a challenge to reach and get back from. But if panels could get me even a few miles a day of range, it starts to make more remote trips seem less daunting (given a stay of sufficient duration during which I can passively charge).

Even without that use case, panels being able to help offset heating/AC or some of the auxiliary systems would help, but you just shouldn't expect any meaningful range extension while driving. I think that was the intent with the Prius that had PV on top.

2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
Love the exterior design. Especially the orange. The prototype interiors have been a little to modern for me. On my watch list.
I agree on the interior, and I too love the exterior. Their lease terms are great....to the point of "I will believe it when I see it!" type of great. But for a $250 refundable deposit I was willing to take a shot!

Reactions: ErickF

Hyundai (and Kia) Solar Roof: Car Roofs that Generate Energy

Hyundai has been putting solar roofs on the Sonata Hybrid since 2020.

"Nearly 2 miles a day powered by the sun" - 2021 - Available on Limited trim only - As with any solar panel, electricity generation will be impacted if panels are not exposed to direct sunlight. About 700 extra miles per year when exposed to 6 hours of sunlight daily. Additional drivable miles per day may vary. Estimated additional drivable miles are not included in any EPA mileage estimates. See Owner's Manual for details and limitations.

As I recall, Musk said he would put solar panels on the load cover for the upcoming pickup. I've been considering moving to a senior living facility in San Antonio, where resident parking is in outside parking lots, only. In a situation like that, I can see that with the limited use I would have for driving around, the size of the load cover, the slope of the load cover and the ability to park it with the slope facing South; I would probably never need to "charge" for local use and the Superchargers are available for trips. Even though I have no need or desire for a pickup, I could see myself buying one --I'm on the $100 wait list (lol) --with this feature for just this reason. Plus, I'd be driving around in a bulletproof "tank" impervious to anything other than a "dualie" or semi-truck. See, a case can be made for solar cells on an EV.

Here are a few links on the Sonata Solar Roof (205 watts):
Hyundai Solar Roof | AutoNation Hyundai Columbus
Everything About the Sonata Hybrid鈥檚 Solar Roof - Hyundai Motor Group TECH
2020 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid: What to expect from its mpg-boosting solar roof

Not everyone has a 2-car garage and a 50-amp EVSE. Allowing people to be able to get 5-7 miles a day sitting in a parking lot at their apartment is a good thing. Honestly most of my daily drives the past nearly 11 months I drive that many miles or less.

Here are a few links on the Sonata Solar Roof (205 watts):
Hyundai Solar Roof | AutoNation Hyundai Columbus
Everything About the Sonata Hybrid鈥檚 Solar Roof - Hyundai Motor Group TECH
2020 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid: What to expect from its mpg-boosting solar roof

Not everyone has a 2-car garage and a 50-amp EVSE. Allowing people to be able to get 5-7 miles a day sitting in a parking lot at their apartment is a good thing. Honestly most of my daily drives the past nearly 11 months I drive that many miles or less.
The Aptera could work for people who don't have access to an EVSE, since the company claims you may be able to get by with solar charging alone. It'll be a 2-passenger, 3-wheeled vehicle (less friction with 3 wheels, and fewer government regulations to boot), and aerodynamic. Covered in solar panels. It remains to be seen if the vehicle will catch on. You can see it here: Aptera Motors Corp. And here's an interview: Sandy Munro interviews Aptera execs

Reclining seats with leg rests?! On long trips you鈥檒l be able to save a bundle on hotels! 馃槃

Reclining for a nap while supercharging is my favorite thing to do especially when driving through the night. With the Chevy EUV being in the low thirties and good auto pilot features, pricing could be interesting when they announce tomorrow. I think the ID.4 with their delay missed their opportunity to capture some market share before the competition hit.

BTW: Not sure I like those rims on the Iconiq.

The ioniq 5 looks smaller than the id4. More like a compact hatchback than a compact SUV. I couldn't find any dimensions

The ioniq 5 looks smaller than the id4. More like a compact hatchback than a compact SUV. I couldn't find any dimensions
Can鈥檛 be sure until they unveil it on the 23rd but I found these dimensions on an Ioniq forum. If accurate, it鈥檚 bigger than the ID.4:

Dimensions:
length 4,640 mm
width 1,890 mm
Height 1,600 mm,
wheelbase 3,000 mm

ID.4 Pro S (Statement) AWD Reservation 9/23/20
Reclining for a nap while supercharging is my favorite thing to do especially when driving through the night. With the Chevy EUV being in the low thirties and good auto pilot features, pricing could be interesting when they announce tomorrow. I think the ID.4 with their delay missed their opportunity to capture some market share before the competition hit.

BTW: Not sure I like those rims on the Iconiq.
With the EUV's 55 kW charge rate, you will have plenty of time to nap while charging! :)

Reactions: Reeler

Can鈥檛 be sure until they unveil it on the 23rd but I found these dimensions on an Ioniq forum. If accurate, it鈥檚 bigger than the ID.4:

Dimensions:
length 4,640 mm
width 1,890 mm
Height 1,600 mm,
wheelbase 3,000 mm
Assuming those number are accurate, the Ioniq 5 has a much longer wheelbase than the ID.4, but it's just an inch and a half longer overall. And the Ioniq 5 looks to be half an inch lower in height. Both cars seem comparable to the exterior dimensions of the (AWD) RAV4 Prime, but their height is 3 1/2" to 4" lower than the RAV4, which is a good thing in my mind.

@TimD,

Everything I have seen has said the wheelbase is right. MB S class has a similar wheelbase and it is 20 inches longer. Wonder how well it will drive in tight eastern Massachusetts roads.

Their is a South Korean video on the possible seat positioning in the Ioniq 5.

Video us here:

61 - 80 of 130 Posts