Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned model 3 for 2 yrs and Now After buying ID4 I feel Tesla model 3 and Y ( I drove Y for sometime) are very light in body structure and hence has better pickup than ID4. I also feel if there is front collision between Y and ID4, Model Y has no chance to except being Totalled. Model Y exterior are very thin gauge sheets of aluminum plus plastic exterior and interior are thinner than plastic spoons. I know ID4 is 400lbs heavier than Model Y.
What are your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,571 Posts
Heavy always wins in a crash (everything else being equal). ;)

Use of aluminum in any vehicle is good for weight savings but there is still a need for high strength steel, especially in chassis structure. VAG knows how to use aluminum; I've always appreciated the Audi TT Mk3 layout below.

I feel the ID.4 should have an aluminum hood. Not sure if that was a cost cutting or structural design consideration. I like [hope] to think the latter.

TTS Materials.png

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
706 Posts
Structural illustration for the ID.4

View attachment 3786
There's a really cool extruded aluminum "crumple" item inside the super high strength steel on the side of the battery pack to absorb and distribute impact forces. It's a very impressive item, detailed a couple of pages later in the doc that the above image was taken from, and it's inside the purple bottom rails you see above.
I think VW did a lot of engineering homework on the MEB platform and the cars they put on top of the platform.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts