Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked with someone at VW today and it seems they either do not know, or they do not want to commit, to telling someone who has placed an order when they can expect delivery. My sales person said between eight and nine weeks. That would be the end of May. But VW will only say sometime in the summer - what ever that means! With all the computerized technology today why can't VW have a handle on production and delivery?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
921 Posts
What did you order, when did you order it, and what step are you on the wheel of torture?

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
898 Posts
I've had one sales rep tell me that dealer allocation IS a factor, even with the centralized online ordering system, but I've had another tell me that orders are built in the order they're placed on the website. I don't know which is true but #2 makes more sense, #1 would partly explain your experience.

·
Proud FE owner
994 Posts
There are a number of factors that could impact manufacturing timelines. The worldwide chip shortage is a substantial one at the moment - affecting vehicle manufacturers and their suppliers.

VW is far from clueless. Silent and not-committal when we want finite details, sure.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
I also think VW, even though they built this portal, is not a company used to exposing their logistics to end-users. At best, they expose a bit to their clients (the dealers), so this is all very new to that whole world. WE are used to Amazon and FedEx trucks giving us a hyper granular shipping breakdown, including a house by house final delivery.

I had a recent shipment from china that went though China Post. Talk about shipping anxiety, it took 2 months to get this phone case out of china and there was noting to be done about it. It took 3 days once it was in the US.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I also think VW, even though they built this portal, is not a company used to exposing their logistics to end-users. At best, they expose a bit to their clients (the dealers), so this is all very new to that whole world. WE are used to Amazon and FedEx trucks giving us a hyper granular shipping breakdown, including a house by house final delivery.

I had a recent shipment from china that went though China Post. Talk about shipping anxiety, it took 2 months to get this phone case out of china and there was noting to be done about it. It took 3 days once it was in the US.
I had one dealer tell me that they feel a bit blindsided. That we have more up-to-date information than they do. Or more precisely we compulsivly check the status, and they don't.

·
461 Posts
I had one dealer tell me that they feel a bit blindsided. That we have more up-to-date information than they do. Or more precisely we compulsivly check the status, and they don't.
I think the OCD component is likely more correct. They, the dealer, are running a business and are tracking many, many things. WE are crazy people, hyper focused on a single thing.

·
24 Posts
I'm in the "bank error in your favor" territory. A month ago, my dealership called me and said, it's going to be mid-May for my FE, which was a bit surprising, but what are ya gonna do. Others from the dealer were going to get theirs in mid-April but my VIN was in the 13XXX range and theirs' were all in the 08XXX and 09XXX range from what I could tell from the dealership website.
Two weeks ago, my level went to Step 5, car is in port. Interesting but whatever. The dealership had said May.
Late last week, my level went to Step 6. That caused me to email my dealership to ask if they knew what was up. An hour later, they called to say, yeah, my car had made it on a truck in Houston that was heading their way. Probably should expect the car in mid-April. Seemed like a rather lengthy duration for a truck driving from Texas to Oregon, but they know better than me, right?
Just got an email today. My car is at the dealership going through inspection and I can pick it up as early as tomorrow.
So what I've learned is that my dealership has been overly pessimistic about delivery times this whole way and I'm getting my FE along the schedule I had expected months ago. Bear in mind, I wasn't even pressuring my dealership to give me a timeline until this past week when things seemed very off. They were calling me to offer up "bad" information (I'm sure it was the best information they had at the time) on their own. Maybe dealerships are smart just to say "No Comment, the car will be here when it gets here" and let it play out.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Oh, thats nothing. Some of us have been waiting 6+ months
True. The next step for the OP will start with an email from VW asking him to lock the order and add an additional 400$ deposit. There is no telling when this email will arrive however. It won't be 6 months, however.

·
461 Posts
8-9 weeks is enough time to savor it, dream of it, buy an EVSE and have it installed. 8-9 weeks is easy.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts
If you are at step 2 in just 8 days, all I can say is wow. Ordered a AWD 3 months ago and still on step 1.
Lucky you, you are still at step 1 - VW asked for an additional $400 from a lot of our AWD orders while likely still getting the car at the same time.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Ordered our Pro S Gradient on 3/20/21 and still on Step 1. It surprises me that the person on Step 2 is already there having ordered two days after me. Does that make a myth that VW schedules in order of the order?

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Ordered our Pro S Gradient on 3/20/21 and still on Step 1. It surprises me that the person on Step 2 is already there having ordered two days after me. Does that make a myth that VW schedules in order of the order?
You put down a 100$ deposit, and are still step 1?

·
49 Posts
I think the OCD component is likely more correct. They, the dealer, are running a business and are tracking many, many things. WE are crazy people, hyper focused on a single thing.
There must be a support group out there.
Wait, maybe this is it!

·
Pro S w/Gradient AWD
66 Posts
Lucky you, you are still at step 1 - VW asked for an additional $400 from a lot of our AWD orders while likely still getting the car at the same time.
Am I reading it correctly, You made an order for a AWD in Sept and you are now on step 3?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts