Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent to VW's Emobility Team an email last week providing my thoughts on communicating with our Forum and keeping us informed on how they were approaching improving the ID4 and implementing changes through OTAs. I gave them my top 4 areas to improve upon w/OTAs (Auto Hold, One Pedal Driving, Plug and Charge, Increase Acceleration w/Drivetrain). Low and behold I was pleasantly surprised getting a reply stating:

"Thanks John!

Totally hear you on the feedback site. The EMobility team here at VW North America has been actively monitoring and capturing feedback from the press. As the articles and media buzz calm down a bit, and as customer deliveries increase, we will certainly add more customer comments. For now, the best places to post feedback are on the ID.talk forum, the ID.4 facebook page, or directly to this email account. We are keeping track.

On your top four items:

1) Auto hold is planned to be added over the air in a year or so
2) One pedal driving is a great point and one that we are exploring. However, true one pedal driving requires a greater amount of deceleration than the car currently allows. The North American market is working with VW's engineering teams to see how we could add more customizability to the regenerative braking system, but this update may take a little more time.
3) Plug and charge capability is planned to be available in a year or so. It will be available over the air.
4) Volkswagen's engineering team was not comfortable with allowing any more power output from the 150 kW rear motor. Some other markets even offer de-rated power levels to upsell customers, but we wanted to avoid leaving any customer value on the table.. For those seeking more performance, the AWD model will be much quicker from 0-60, and we hope to further increase power in subsequent model years."

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
434 Posts
Great to see that response! Although I have to admit, the implication that it will take a whole year to get updates for Auto Hold and Plug and Charge, plus even longer than that for the possibility of 1 pedal driving, is disappointing. Like...why? Especially Auto Hold, it is already a feature in the Euro model, why should it take so long?

·
115 Posts
Might just be me, but seems like they really need to push out number 3 (Plug and Charge) ASAP. They will get a black eye in some people's reviews and opinions if the charging isn't easy.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue
475 Posts
what is ID.talk?

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue
475 Posts
I'm fine with that, but we need some credit then, or insight, or ... or swag, or confirmation that all of our speculation is right or wrong.

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great to see that response! Although I have to admit, the implication that it will take a whole year to get updates for Auto Hold and Plug and Charge, plus even longer than that for the possibility of 1 pedal driving, is disappointing. Like...why? Especially Auto Hold, it is already a feature in the Euro model, why should it take so long?
Agree, but I think they are going to respond sooner rather than later. They will work it so it is right the first time with an OTA. I think they are paying attention to what the “chatter” is on the forum. To be honest, I was surprised how quickly they responded to my email. This is all good news for what the future holds with the ID 4.

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
137 Posts
1) Auto hold is planned to be added over the air in a year or so
My wife is only willing to buy an ID.4 on the assumption that Auto Hold will be added as an OTA. I pick up the car tonight, but if it is actually "a year or so" before it is added she is going to be pretty unhappy.

Reactions: theboomr

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
404 Posts
Flame suit on:

I don't get all the moaning about the lack of auto hold. People really are pissed about not being able to take your foot off the brake pedal when you have to stop for more than a few seconds? I've had a couple vehicles with auto hold and have never used it because honestly, what's the difference between resting your foot on the brake pedal and resting your foot...somewhere else? Truly, it makes no sense to me that something so trivial could be a dealbreaker of any kind.

·
410 Posts
Flame suit on:

I don't get all the moaning about the lack of auto hold. People really are pissed about not being able to take your foot off the brake pedal when you have to stop for more than a few seconds? I've had a couple vehicles with auto hold and have never used it because honestly, what's the difference between resting your foot on the brake pedal and resting your foot...somewhere else? Truly, it makes no sense to me that something so trivial could be a dealbreaker of any kind.
Different strokes for different folks. You are more the exception than the norm I suspect. Minimizing the transitions back and forth between brake pedal and accelerator pedal just make driving easier.

Reactions: Tinman and theboomr

·
212 Posts
I joined the forum just to respond to this thread. Howdy! 👋

I'm one of the "auto hold" proponents, and it's darn near a deal-breaker for me. I am very much not happy that it'll take a year to push something to us that already exists in other markets.

No flames for NBCGLX - but I have this in my current car, an Accord Hybrid. Between the ACC, Lane Keeping, regenerative braking (it's pretty weak, not one-pedal at all) as well as the auto hold (called Brake Hold in the Honda world), I hardly ever even touch the pedals, and rarely have to steer above 46 MPH (Honda limitation). It is immensely easier to drive the car. Yes, it's not difficult to hold the brake pedal. But after getting used to brake hold/auto hold, it's just...nice. Stop and go or waiting at a light is just easier.

If you don't like it - don't use it. It's fine. Just like I'm not a fan of non-cloth seats, and I'm not a fan of glass roofs, so I've got a Pro coming. I have to say, my test drive in a 1st Edition almost changed my mind about both. The imitation leather stuff is surprisingly comfortable, especially compared to, say, at Tesla Model 3 or a Mach-E. The sunshade is perfect. In fact, if I can stumble into a 1st edition with a grey interior, I'll likely buy it. See! I can change my mind! Others may disagree with that statement...

A side note for everyone getting one of these: gotta read the manual for these new cars. I read the Accord manual twice before I bought it, and I've read the European manual that's floating around for the ID.4 once, I'll go through it again before buying/leasing. Then, you've got to practice with the tech, ensure it's in the mode you want by looking on the screen, and then watch it like a hawk until you know what it's going to do in every situation. Even then, it's got to be watched continuously. If you don't RTFM and pay attention, these cars will do things you don't expect! My Accord certainly will, the ID.4 is even more advanced. It took me months to be comfortable with all the Accord can do.

·
410 Posts
The regen in ’B’ can already decelerate the car to the creep speed so it’s “only” a matter of programming out the creep and phasing in the friction brakes for the last bit of speed.

·
142 Posts
Maybe I'm reading more into this than was meant, but I see the "in a year or so" for OTA upgrades as an indicator that VW does not plan to do frequent updates. We're used to the world of constant OTA updates for our phones and their apps -hardly a day goes by when we don't have a small update to download and install. Given the number of hours the in-person updates took for ID.3 owners in Germany, It looks like VW is planning on an annual update cycle. Certainly not a monthly one. If that is so, then in that context the requested updates are being scheduled for the first update after launch.

The concept of OTA updates in cars is similar to that of phones, but I suspect it's much more complicated given that the car may be out of commission for 8 hours or more, and lives are on the line.

·
212 Posts
Poorly quoted from krusshall above:
The regen in ’B’ can already decelerate the car to the creep speed so it’s “only” a matter of programming out the creep and phasing in the friction brakes for the last bit of speed.
It's even less than this. It's already available in other markets. The programming is complete. It's a matter of turning it on.

·
53 Posts
Maybe I'm reading more into this than was meant, but I see the "in a year or so" for OTA upgrades as an indicator that VW does not plan to do frequent updates. We're used to the world of constant OTA updates for our phones and their apps -hardly a day goes by when we don't have a small update to download and install. Given the number of hours the in-person updates took for ID.3 owners in Germany, It looks like VW is planning on an annual update cycle. Certainly not a monthly one. If that is so, then in that context the requested updates are being scheduled for the first update after launch.

The concept of OTA updates in cars is similar to that of phones, but I suspect it's much more complicated given that the car may be out of commission for 8 hours or more, and lives are on the line.
VW has previously said they plan to do updates every 12 weeks but we’ll see what happens in practice.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. You are more the exception than the norm I suspect. Minimizing the transitions back and forth between brake pedal and accelerator pedal just make driving easier.
It's not actually minimizing the transitions between the brake and accelerator, since you still have to press the brake to stop the vehicle before auto hold will take effect. However, you're right, different strokes for different folks. Choice is good, I just don't understand how something that is truly, in the grand scheme of things, so trivial would be a deciding factor in a major purchase. To each their own.

Can I remove the flame suit yet?

·
410 Posts
It's not actually minimizing the transitions between the brake and accelerator, since you still have to press the brake to stop the vehicle before auto hold will take effect. However, you're right, different strokes for different folks. Choice is good, I just don't understand how something that is truly, in the grand scheme of things, so trivial would be a deciding factor in a major purchase. To each their own.

Can I remove the flame suit yet?
No that’s what the regen does. The only time you use the brake is when you need to decelerate faster than the regen provides.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
No that’s what the regen does. The only time you use the brake is when you need to decelerate faster than the regen provides.
In a vehicle that has 1-pedal driving, I can see your point. But the ID.4 doesn’t have 1-pedal driving and certainly ICE and hybrid vehicles don’t. Like I said, to each their own.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts