Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
ID.4 FE GW
590 Posts
You don't actually have to do that, although I thought that at first as well and was quite frustrated by it.

When you're in the radio "app", swipe horizontally from the right edge of the touchscreen, and it will bring out a now playing panel, similar to how you can swipe down from the top edge to show those shortcut buttons.

I don't hate the design of this, but...it is NOT discoverable enough, not by a long shot...the indicator that there is a screen you can swipe out needs to be WAY more noticeable/obvious. I'm in my late 20s with perfect eyesight, and I'm a software engineer and tech enthusiast, and I didn't even find this swipe-out screen on my own, someone on the forum here had to point it out to me.
My car seems to go into this "Now Playing" screen somewhat randomly from the selected media screen. I discovered that you can get back to the media screen by swiping the "Now Playing" screen from right to left. As usual, I learned something backwards :)

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
434 Posts
My car seems to go into this "Now Playing" screen somewhat randomly from the selected media screen. I discovered that you can get back to the media screen by swiping the "Now {laying" form right to left. As usual, I learn things backwards :)
I can't remember for sure but I think you can access the Now Playing screen using the air gestures (not touching the screen) so you may be accidentally triggering that in your car (happens to me semi regularly, I might just turn off the air gestures).

·
ID.4 FE GW
590 Posts
I can't remember for sure but I think you can access the Now Playing screen using the air gestures (not touching the screen) so you may be accidentally triggering that in your car (happens to me semi regularly, I might just turn off the air gestures).
The screen changes when I'm driving with both hands on the wheel, and it only changes to the Now Playing screen - never between any of the customized screens I set up. Maybe there is a ghost in my car that changes that screen with air gestures.

·
83 Posts
The screen changes when I'm driving with both hands on the wheel, and it only changes to the Now Playing screen - never between any of the customized screens I set up. Maybe there is a ghost in my car that changes that screen with air gestures.
I really started to dislike this air gesture thing. More often than not it doesn’t work. Yet VW thought it’s a good feature to implement in the base model car in which they left out some other key features like “auto hold”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
861 Posts
I really started to dislike this air gesture thing. More often than not it doesn’t work. Yet VW thought it’s a good feature to implement in the base model car in which they left out some other key features like “auto hold”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I found that this procedure works on my FE. Place your whole palm about 1.5 inches from the whole screen. Then swipe your whole palm left or right, the whole screen will slide left or right. It takes a little practice, like snapping your fingers 😉.
It only works left and right which is why the next Home Screen (OTA 3.2) is left and right oriented, no more up and down.

·
84 Posts
You don't actually have to do that, although I thought that at first as well and was quite frustrated by it.

When you're in the radio "app", swipe horizontally from the right edge of the touchscreen, and it will bring out a now playing panel, similar to how you can swipe down from the top edge to show those shortcut buttons.

I don't hate the design of this, but...it is NOT discoverable enough, not by a long shot...the indicator that there is a screen you can swipe out needs to be WAY more noticeable/obvious. I'm in my late 20s with perfect eyesight, and I'm a software engineer and tech enthusiast, and I didn't even find this swipe-out screen on my own, someone on the forum here had to point it out to me.
Wow, thanks. That little bar on the right is very subtle!

·
75 Posts
From the video I saw there were 15 guinea pigs in the EU that were getting the update this week. IF that worked as expected then the 1st movers would get it. IF that worked, then it would be open to all ID's in the EU. The update didn't go thru the WeConnect app, but the WeConnect app was needed to initiate the update.
U-tube'r "Battery Life" is one of the initial 15 and he has a video describing the install process and what is in the update.
With Tesla everyone is guinea pigs since 2016 for fsd and ota updates, I was one of beta tester for Tesla..one problem resolved and new one showed up every two weeks with a OTA update.

·
6 Posts
I called VW of America a couple days ago to ask about the touch screen unresponsiveness and a couple other problems, and the tech with whom I spoke (who was very polite and thorough) said there was a software update for the ID.4 coming “by the end of July”. When I pressed him for details, he said that he believed that it will attempt to address some of the touchscreen responsiveness issues, among other things. He couldn’t be specific as he said he has not seen it himself. But he repeated that it would be out very soon. So that is encouraging.
1st week in august 2 updates, 1st small update, then 2nd update to address infotainment larger update.
car needs to be parked for updates to happen, if attempting to drive & update will cancel!

·
835 Posts
Based on reports from Europe, car needs to be on to download update and needs to be off to install the update. VW asks for the car to be off and locked for 70 minutes to install update 1. Reports are that the second update is much larger and will require the car to be off and locked for over 3 hours.

·
6 Posts
I called VW of America a couple days ago to ask about the touch screen unresponsiveness and a couple other problems, and the tech with whom I spoke (who was very polite and thorough) said there was a software update for the ID.4 coming “by the end of July”. When I pressed him for details, he said that he believed that it will attempt to address some of the touchscreen responsiveness issues, among other things. He couldn’t be specific as he said he has not seen it himself. But he repeated that it would be out very soon. So that is encouraging.
I'm curious. What phone number did you use to reach VW of America? Was it difficult to get through to anyone who knew what they were talking about? I am getting real tired of the constant "skipping" when listening to music, or anything actually, when using Bluetooth or WiFi through CarPlay. You spend $40K on a car and you expect the sound system to actually work correctly. The Infotainment System needs work!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts