Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent in to VW EMobility ([email protected]) a message to Dustin Krause (Director) informing them of a VW Dealer in VA pricing gouging a customer w/a market price adjustment of $7K above MSRP. This was reported on another topic thread on this forum last week. Today I got an email back from VW EMobility that they had engaged the dealer and the customer and fixed the problem. I must give VW a big High 5 for stepping up and proactively intervening to fix this bad business practice. That said, I saw another post today of the same bad practice being done by a dealer in Texas. I encourage everyone on this site to speak out and to let VW know when a dealer attempts to price gouge us (their customer). This is the only way to stop such bad Business Practices and to protect ourselves from being the next victim when it’s our turn to purchase our ID4.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
322 Posts
Yes, the VA customer's name is Anthony Dowd and he recounted his experience, including the resolution, in the ID.4 Facebook group. Dustin ended up showing up for Anthony's delivery, and I think there was another VW exec present, too. The dealer did remove the $7k markup. I seem to recall that someone from another VW dealer commented that VW issued a statement to dealers that they are not to add markups of any kind to pre-ordered cars (no restriction on unsold vehicles). However, I can't find that post again, so maybe it wasn't fully true.

·
2019 Tiguan SE 2016 Jetta Sport
31 Posts
Even without the ridiculous $6995 "market" charge, there is still $1400 in fluff in the etch, pinstripe, and Kahu (?) charges. OEM direct to consumer sales cannot come soon enough for me!

·
35 Posts
I sent in to VW EMobility ([email protected]) a message to Dustin Krause (Director) informing them of a VW Dealer in VA pricing gouging a customer w/a market price adjustment of $7K above MSRP. This was reported on another topic thread on this forum last week. Today I got an email back from VW EMobility that they had engaged the dealer and the customer and fixed the problem. I must give VW a big High 5 for stepping up and proactively intervening to fix this bad business practice. That said, I saw another post today of the same bad practice being done by a dealer in Texas. I encourage everyone on this site to speak out and to let VW know when a dealer attempts to price gouge us (their customer). This is the only way to stop such bad Business Practices and to protect ourselves from being the next victim when it’s our turn to purchase our ID4. View attachment 2457
Can you tell us which dealership in TX was using similar mark-ups?

·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you tell us which dealership in TX was using similar mark-ups?
I don’t have a name of the dealership. It was not shown in the pricing sheet that was posted on another thread in this forum. There was like an additional $8k tacked on the MSRP.

·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Name and shame until they stop.
Agree. Hopefully, the person who was dealing with them will call them out with VW Emobility. I do think VW is aware and taking action when they are brought into the sales process. I was pleased to see that Dustin Krause personally traveled to be at the direct sale after having the dealer sell the FE ID4 for MSRP to the customer.

·
247 Posts
Agree. Hopefully, the person who was dealing with them will call them out with VW Emobility. I do think VW is aware and taking action when they are brought into the sales process. I was pleased to see that Dustin Krause personally traveled to be at the direct sale after having the dealer sell the FE ID4 for MSRP to the customer.
I can see if its a pre order that VW would squawk at that. But they really can’t tell a dealer how much to charge for a vehicle. I was looking to buy a Telluride last year and most dealers had them marked up 3-5K. They were in demand and factory couldn’t produce them fast enough. I didn’t buy one because of that. That is good to see VW step in, but didn’t think they could do that to a dealer.

·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can see if its a pre order that VW would squawk at that. But they really can’t tell a dealer how much to charge for a vehicle. I was looking to buy a Telluride last year and most dealers had them marked up 3-5K. They were in demand and factory couldn’t produce them fast enough. I didn’t buy one because of that. That is good to see VW step in, but didn’t think they could do that to a dealer.
Supposedly, VW sent a memo out to all dealers concerning MSRP for reservation orders placed directly by the customer. Will see what happens!

·
141 Posts
Supposedly, VW sent a memo out to all dealers concerning MSRP for reservation orders placed directly by the customer. Will see what happens!
Here are some dealers that list above MSRP:
Gossett Porsche VW, 1875 COVINGTON PIKE, MEMPHIS, TN is selling the ID4 1 ed. for $2200 above MSRP.
Oklahoma City Volkswagen, 4710 NW 39TH ST, OKLAHOMA CITY, OK 73122 is offering the ID4 for $2000 above MSRP.

Then there are some dealers listing a thousand or two below MSRP, but then they add all kinds of fees and add-ons that actually bring the price above MSRP. It is called "bait and screw".

·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are some dealers that list above MSRP:
Gossett Porsche VW, 1875 COVINGTON PIKE, MEMPHIS, TN is selling the ID4 1 ed. for $2200 above MSRP.
Oklahoma City Volkswagen, 4710 NW 39TH ST, OKLAHOMA CITY, OK 73122 is offering the ID4 for $2000 above MSRP.

Then there are some dealers listing a thousand or two below MSRP, but then they add all kinds of fees and add-ons that actually bring the price above MSRP. It is called "bait and screw".
I think if these are Dealer ordered cars, they can price however they want. However, if these are Customer Reservation online ordered cars, I think VW would step in to make it right.

·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good to know that VW is working to do the right thing concerning pricing the ID4. My dealer (Sarasota, FL) mentioned today that VW Corporate had a call to their dealers concerning added market value pricing above MSRP. My understanding is for Customer Online Ordered ID4s not to charge above MSRP. That said, a Dealer likely could still charge above MSRP, but they now know that VW Corporate is aware and watching out for these price gouging practices.

·
10 Posts
Good to know that VW is working to do the right thing concerning pricing the ID4. My dealer (Sarasota, FL) mentioned today that VW Corporate had a call to their dealers concerning added market value pricing above MSRP. My understanding is for Customer Online Ordered ID4s not to charge above MSRP. That said, a Dealer likely could still charge above MSRP, but they now know that VW Corporate is aware and watching out for these price gouging practices.

I went to the dealer in Florida two days ago to receive my ID4 ordered on Sep 23rd 2020 at 1pm ( 2 hours after the launch). The car was beautifully clean waiting for me.
For my surprise, the lease “package” presented to me was about U$ 200 per month higher than a lease of another VW vehicle of same price. All other conditions being the same .
Basically, about U$ 7,000 “premium” to be able to lease this car instead of paying cash or buying another model.
It was a major deception, mainly having waited for over 6 months and having spent the last two months without a car waiting for the ID4. During this time many times I received messages and advertisements mentioning the aprox price and lease values.
We have had Volkswagens since I was born.
My father had the same 1966 beetle for 19 years.
I have had 3 beetles, 2 Santanas, 2 Paratis,3 Passats, 1 Santana Quantum, one Santana Executivo , one GTS and more recently the Atlas.
All VW products I had here in the US and in Brazil.
My major in college was electrical engineering. The anticipation of having my first electric car and being the first ID4 delivered by my dealer of choice was great. A fantastic feeling, shared with family , friends and the salesperson, another friend of years.
The moment the numbers did not make sense this week felt like someone destroyed the VW logo right in front of me. I feel terrible. All the preparation , for this? I always thought we were together into the future with this innovation. You built if for me and I would drive it for you (and pay for the use, of course), I thought. But , I feel that for some reason VW prefers to give the car to someone else that will pay more for the same loan. As simple as that.
It sucks.

·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went to the dealer in Florida two days ago to receive my ID4 ordered on Sep 23rd 2020 at 1pm ( 2 hours after the launch). The car was beautifully clean waiting for me.
For my surprise, the lease “package” presented to me was about U$ 200 per month higher than a lease of another VW vehicle of same price. All other conditions being the same .
Basically, about U$ 7,000 “premium” to be able to lease this car instead of paying cash or buying another model.
It was a major deception, mainly having waited for over 6 months and having spent the last two months without a car waiting for the ID4. During this time many times I received messages and advertisements mentioning the aprox price and lease values.
I have had 3 beetles, 2 Santanas, 2 Paratis,3 Passats, 1 Santana Quantum, one Santana Executivo , one GTS and more recently the Atlas.
My major in college was electrical engineering. The anticipation of having my first electric car and being the first ID4 delivered by my dealer of choice was great. A fantastic feeling, shared with family , friends and the salesperson, another friend of years.
The moment the numbers did not make sense this week felt like someone destroyed the VW logo right in front of me. I feel terrible. All the preparation , for this? I always thought we were together into the future with this innovation. You built if for me and I would drive it for you (and pay for the use, of course), I thought. But , I feel that for some reason VW prefers to give the car to someone else that will pay more for the same loan. As simple as that.
It sucks.
Contact [email protected]. Make your email attention Dustin Krause (Director).
There was a similar problem last week with a dealer in Virginia. He personally went to the dealership for the sales/lease transaction between the customer and the dealer. In the end, the dealer took off all charges above MSRP. This has happened several times in the last couple of weeks. Look up on this forum "VW Responds to Dealer Bad Business Practices". You will see a whole thread of the problem being worked with VW doing the right thing once made aware.

·
152 Posts
It sucks.
So sorry to hear that. Try to contact VW directly. It is a shame that the dealers are making this experience again a bad one.

·
22 Posts
I think i got taken on my ID4 1st

Can someone tell me if the numbers below make any sense for a 36 month least 12k mile allowance? I didn't get any options, just the base id4 1st, so shouldn't the MSRP be $43,995? They flashed the windows sticker in front of me at the sales desk for a quick moment and then it disappearance and they didn't give it to me.

Gross Cap cost : 48492.96
Cap cost reduction (down payment?) - $13500.93
Adjusted Cap cost: 34,984.03
Residual Value: 21691.20
Depreciation: 13,292.60
Rent Charge: 4,386.77
Total of base schedule payments: 17,679.60
Base scheduled payment: 491.10
Sales/use tax: 34.38
Lease Payments: 525.46

I am losing my mind, I cannot figure this out, I made a down payment in cash of $7,623 which apparently included the first months payment. And was also given the $7,500 in tax credit toward the lease, that means I paid more than $15,000 down.

Every loan calculator I used including the one on the ID4 pre-order page had me around $400 per month or Leasehacker at $349 per month.

They also made me purchase a $1,500 oil change and paint protection package (see attached)

Can anyone tell me if I got screwed or this is a normal lease deal on this?

My Free Oil Changes for Life coupon I paid $1,500 for:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts