Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I got my ID.4 late March. I have not be able to make Android Auto working, partly because of VW's default WIFI provider is Verizon among other things.

When I make a wired connection to the C-port and use bluetooth, it asks for a "limited wifi connection". But connecting to WIFI is made IMPOSSIBLE because of VW's default service provider position goes to a Verizon page and asks me to provide a Verizon account information. Well, I have a T-Mobile account and don't have a Verizon account. So I am stuck!

But wait! My VW's sales person also uses T-Mobile. He's default screen also went to Verizon. But he was able to tap the top three dots and given an option to bypass the Verizon page. He is using a later Samsung Galaxy phone. So maybe it is an Android version issue (Android 9 on my phone).

My frustration is why VW's default WIFI provider is NOT set up as a choice, or to go to whatever the phone's service provider? Was there a business connection there that we minions don't know?

So VW, if you are monitoring this forum, please change the default so that we may use the Android Auto function without having to either buy a new phone or change our service provider.

If anyone has a solution, please share. I know I am not the only one who's frustrated by this default setup.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
393 Posts
Wifi is not cellular. Clearly there is an issue here, but the ID.4 connecting to Verizon for car to cloud data connectivity is a thing entirely separate from phone to car wifi convectivity.

Just like my cell phone service is through Verizon, but my home wifi connects to AT&T. When my phone connects to my wifi, neither of those is a factor, it's simply a LG phone connecting to a Netgear router.

·
40 Posts
Maybe the mods can edit the title to "Cellular" provider to alleviate confusion. OP, it might help to edit your post body as well. Verizon is cellular, not Wi-Fi.

·
Proud FE owner
937 Posts
Android Auto connects your phone to the infotainment over Bluetooth, not the cellular service. Older phones may not be compatible with current Android Auto protocols.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
84 Posts
Wireless Android Auto uses both bluetooth and wifi. Bluetooth alone does not have enough throughput for screen projection. Depending on the phone's setup, it will actively join the cars Wifi hotspot to establish the AA connection. In many cases the phone then treats it as any other Wifi network and expects an internet connection.

If the free VZ hotspot plan has expired the phone will no longer get to the internet and instead be sent to a VZ landing page (similar to first connection at a Starbucks or airport). In this case AA is still projecting via Wifi but apps (spotify, waze, etc.) can't get any data. This is when mobile data fallback needs to be enabled so the phone will use mobile data for internet but stay connected to Wifi for AA.

Different android versions handle this differently, which makes it tough to say what the exact issue you are having is. If you are getting "limited wifi connection" and seeing a VZ landing it is likely your hotspot data has ended but your phone is still expecting data from Wifi.

Even without hotspot data, Android Auto should still be able to launch on the infotainment. As stated by others data is not needed for Android Auto to launch, it is however needed for most apps to be useful.

As a point of reference, I am using wireless AA on an LG V30 running Android 9 with projection enabled via AA developer tools, and my hotspot has expired.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your feedback and help.

I think ErickF may be right - the older phones may not be compatible with current Android Auto protocols.
Nai3t and fiehlsport: Agree the title might be confusing. Yes, it is the car's connection to cellular service provider. .

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wireless Android Auto uses both bluetooth and wifi. Bluetooth alone does not have enough throughput for screen projection. Depending on the phone's setup, it will actively join the cars Wifi hotspot to establish the AA connection. In many cases the phone then treats it as any other Wifi network and expects an internet connection.

If the free VZ hotspot plan has expired the phone will no longer get to the internet and instead be sent to a VZ landing page (similar to first connection at a Starbucks or airport). In this case AA is still projecting via Wifi but apps (spotify, waze, etc.) can't get any data. This is when mobile data fallback needs to be enabled so the phone will use mobile data for internet but stay connected to Wifi for AA.

Different android versions handle this differently, which makes it tough to say what the exact issue you are having is. If you are getting "limited wifi connection" and seeing a VZ landing it is likely your hotspot data has ended but your phone is still expecting data from Wifi.

Even without hotspot data, Android Auto should still be able to launch on the infotainment. As stated by others data is not needed for Android Auto to launch, it is however needed for most apps to be useful.

As a point of reference, I am using wireless AA on an LG V30 running Android 9 with projection enabled via AA developer tools, and my hotspot has expired.
[/QUOTE

Hey thanks for the explanation. YES, the landing page is blocking access, and I am not able to bypass it. Maybe I have not turned the hotspot function on? I will make sure to turn it on to see if it changes.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
84 Posts
Hey thanks for the explanation. YES, the landing page is blocking access, and I am not able to bypass it. Maybe I have not turned the hotspot function on? I will make sure to turn it on to see if it changes.
There is the wifi hotspot setting in your ID.4 (I don't remember the exact name) and there is the hotspot feature offered through Carnet. The hotspot in your car seems to be on if you are connecting to it and seeing the landing page. The hotspot feature via Carnet is offered by Verizon and you start with a 30 day free trial. When the trial is up, you are directed to the landing page to either add the ID.4 to your Verizon account, or open a new Verizon account.

If the car is not added to a VZ account, the wifi functionality in the car will continue to operate. There will just be no data available via wifi and it will always dump to the captive portal.

Wireless Android Auto requires only the wifi setting in the ID.4, the service via Carnet/Verizon is not required for wireless AA to work.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is the wifi hotspot setting in your ID.4 (I don't remember the exact name) and there is the hotspot feature offered through Carnet. The hotspot in your car seems to be on if you are connecting to it and seeing the landing page. The hotspot feature via Carnet is offered by Verizon and you start with a 30 day free trial. When the trial is up, you are directed to the landing page to either add the ID.4 to your Verizon account, or open a new Verizon account.

If the car is not added to a VZ account, the wifi functionality in the car will continue to operate. There will just be no data available via wifi and it will always dump to the captive portal.

Wireless Android Auto requires only the wifi setting in the ID.4, the service via Carnet/Verizon is not required for wireless AA to work.
Hmm.... I have declined the Carnet service due to privacy concerns (in a different prior post). VW should make the connection smoothly and easily.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
84 Posts
A few things off the top of my head:
Did you do the first time AA setup via USB? Does AA via USB work? Does your phone show up in the App Connect menu?

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm.... I have declined the Carnet service due to privacy concerns (in a different prior post). VW should make the connection smoothly and easily.
A few things off the top of my head:
Did you do the first time AA setup via USB? Does AA via USB work? Does your phone show up in the App Connect menu?

I have followed steps and did everything it asks a few times. When I connect to AA, it just gives me a black screen with the mic icon. I can talk to AA, but no screen coming up with a map or any AA icons. When I check the phone, it goes to the Verizon landing page, and stuck. My AA app shows I am connected to the car.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
369 Posts
Here’s my experience using wireless CarPlay in two of my vehicles (not VW’s, but they have wireless CarPlay). If you don’t have an active hotspot plan, then you need to disconnect your phone (i.e., forget the network) from the ID.4’s in-car hotspot (i.e., the subscription service used by Verizon). Otherwise, your phone will continue to try and pull data from the in-car hotspot and nothing will work properly. You do not need to do anything special to connect your phone via WiFi for CarPlay or Android Auto. Just connect it to the car like you would a regular phone and you’ll be asked if you want to use CarPlay or Android Auto if I’m not mistaken. Yes, CP and AA use the WiFi protocol (and Bluetooth, simultaneously), but they don’t use the in-car hotspot that is from the Verizon subscription service for CP or AA. No, they use your phone’s cellular data connection.

I get it, not many vehicles out there with wireless AA or CP yet, but you don’t need to overthink everything with them. Just connect your phone wirelessly like you normally would connect a phone for Bluetooth or something and the car will take care of it. You don’t need to first connect your phone to the in-car hotspot, and you definitely want to DISCONNECT your phone from the in-car hotspot if you don’t have the Verizon subscription service active.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here’s my experience using wireless CarPlay in two of my vehicles (not VW’s, but they have wireless CarPlay). If you don’t have an active hotspot plan, then you need to disconnect your phone (i.e., forget the network) from the ID.4’s in-car hotspot (i.e., the subscription service used by Verizon). Otherwise, your phone will continue to try and pull data from the in-car hotspot and nothing will work properly. You do not need to do anything special to connect your phone via WiFi for CarPlay or Android Auto. Just connect it to the car like you would a regular phone and you’ll be asked if you want to use CarPlay or Android Auto if I’m not mistaken. Yes, CP and AA use the WiFi protocol (and Bluetooth, simultaneously), but they don’t use the in-car hotspot that is from the Verizon subscription service for CP or AA. No, they use your phone’s cellular data connection.

I get it, not many vehicles out there with wireless AA or CP yet, but you don’t need to overthink everything with them. Just connect your phone wirelessly like you normally would connect a phone for Bluetooth or something and the car will take care of it. You don’t need to first connect your phone to the in-car hotspot, and you definitely want to DISCONNECT your phone from the in-car hotspot if you don’t have the Verizon subscription service active.
Thanks for the tips. I will see if it works. I did use wired or wireless to connect to the car successfully, but the Android Auto app (map) doesn't work. Other functions such as phone calls, contact list, etc. all work.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
435 Posts
Interesting, I am experiencing CarPlay dropouts ever since the Car Net service was activated and hence the HotSpot. Could be unrelated, but perhaps not :unsure:. Time will tell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts