Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I reserved my ID.4, my dealer only had the not-for-sale demonstrator. They now have like three or four, though not in my preferred color. It's my understanding that you don't pay destination charge for a car already on the dealer's lot.

So my sneaky thought...is that if I'm flexible on the color, can I cancel my reservation and just buy an ID.4 already on the lot? And save $1195?

·
68 Posts
u should be able to cancel your reservation anytime before signing on the "purchase contract" at the dealer. but try to negotiate and buy one first then cancel. good luck.

·
167 Posts
It costs the same amount to transport a car to the dealer's lot whether they ordered it or you. What discount you get on a car just depends on how desperate the dealer is to sell it. And, if you get a discount, does it matter if they waive the destination charge or charge you that and just discount the car the same amount? No difference to my pocketbook.

If they are having trouble selling the EVs they have on the lot, you'll probably get a better deal. In my area, there is more buyer interest than inventory, so the few off-reservation ID4s that are available are running over list price.

·
22 Posts
u should be able to cancel your reservation anytime before signing on the "purchase contract" at the dealer. but try to negotiate and buy one first then cancel. good luck.
Do not CANCEL until you have a signed agreement for a car on the lot. Once you cancel your reservation you have to start all over from the beginning. Good luck with your negotiation. Not familiar with the dealer not wanting a destination charge. The car still had to get there regardless of buying up front or on the lot but if they told you that, go for it!!! I originally wanted a blue FE but settled for white and am very glad I did. It’s really quite nice.

·
538 Posts
It's my understanding that you don't pay destination charge for a car already on the dealer's lot.
This is wrong. The destination fee is mandated by law and the same nationwide. The dealer can raise or lower the price any amount they like beyond that, so you can find a good or bad deal on the lot. Most are still selling them for MSRP+destination fee.
What You Need to Know about Destination Fees

·
167 Posts
If you can get them to waive the destination charge, you're doing something right. A given manufacturer has to charge the same destination charge to all customers in the US to stop shenanigans. Of course, the stealerships oops - dealerships will find plenty of other charges. Look for ridiculous document fees (really just pure profit, the people are already there), charges for inventory taxes, an acronym of "ADM" which literally stands for "Additional Dealer Markup" and a host of others. Don't pay for nitrogen in the tires, underbody coating, interior sealant and the like. There's so much more; you can search for the thread on here about how much to pay.

·
267 Posts
You can never not pay the destination charge. You can try to negotiate a discount from the vehicle price but the destination charge will still be added back on.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
957 Posts
Not really "added back on," the total MSRP is the base plus all options and destination.

The line items on the sticker don't really matter. A buyer could say, "I don't want to pay for power windows and demand a $495 discount" and the dealer can oblige and discount the purchase price by that amount. It's make believe.

End of the day there's dealer invoice price and sale price, MSRP be damned, and any "discount" is still really just a markup over invoice.

·
267 Posts
Not really "added back on," the total MSRP is the base plus all options and destination.

The line items on the sticker don't really matter. A buyer could say, "I don't want to pay for power windows and demand a $495 discount" and the dealer can oblige and discount the purchase price by that amount. It's make believe.

End of the day there's dealer invoice price and sale price, MSRP be damned, and any "discount" is still really just a markup over invoice.
Splitting hairs here.

·
957 Posts
Not really. You can go into a price negotiation thinking there are "rules" that need to be followed, or all those artificial indexes can be thrown aside and price can be freely negotiated.

Not saying it works all the time — I willingly paid sticker for the ID.4 — but once the dealer is willing to entertain offers (in other words, the car is sitting and needs to go) may as well get to their bottom line.

·
267 Posts
Not really. You can go into a price negotiation thinking there are "rules" that need to be followed, or all those artificial indexes can be thrown aside and price can be freely negotiated.

Not saying it works all the time — I willingly paid sticker for the ID.4 — but once the dealer is willing to entertain offers (in other words, the car is sitting and needs to go) may as well get to their bottom line.
There most certainly is a rule regarding destination. You walk into a dealer and specifically ask them to waive or discount the destination and they will say it's a fixed, non-negotiable, and manufacturer set fee which is a passthrough cost to the customer. And yet price can still be freely negotiated. Again splitting hairs here.

·
957 Posts
Nope, that's exactly what I'm taking about. The last two new cars I bought we negotiated strictly price above invoice (actually, my Flex was price below invoice). No talk of destination or doc fees, that's all superficial. It's especially convenient working off of one common starting number because when I have two dealers competing, we all have a single common reference, even if their invoice prices aren't identical.

If they have to break out costs or fees agree the fact, that's their business, not something to concern myself with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts