Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Black ID.4 Pro S, delivered July 2021
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Don't know if you follow the Facebook group for the ID.4, but it's been quite active on the topic of dissatisfaction with the poor software quality and the total lack of communication from VW to both customers and their dealers. One of the group members offered a list of email addresses at VW, and I wrote an email which details my dissatisfaction with the quality of the software as delivered (2021 RWD Pro S), the lack of any hint of when an update might be available (and whether it might be OTA or a dealer visit), and the fact that the update is available on newer cars and in other geographies. My email also included the fact that Class Action Lawsuit are now openly being discussed. I didn't have much hope that I'd get a real response, especially when i got an email auto-reply saying "contact your dealer"!

To my surprise, VW CARE called me this morning. Disappointingly, they are unable to help - VW aren't communicating with their internal teams either. All he could offer was apologies, and said we should hear something "soon". After 15 months of nothing, I have no faith that "soon" means anything at all.

VW did seem to react to the possibility of legal action, though, so perhaps that's an avenue more of us could explore?

I emailed the following addresses....
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected]

With the following.....
2021 ID.4 Software Update in USA

Paul Hands <address hidden>
Wed, Sep 28, 8:34 PM (5 days ago)

to stephan.halstrup, pablo.disi, chris.sandvig, oliver.blume, caroline.friend

I bought a 2021 ID.4 Pro S (rear wheel drive) in late July 2021. I had some initial concerns with the Infotainment system but my Dealer assured me that Over The Air updates would remove any issues within a quarter. 14 months later, there have been no upgrades available in North America, despite newer software being available in later models and in other geographies.

Contacting my dealer always gets the same response..."We have not heard anything from VW - you should try contacting them yourself". Hence this email.

To remind you, the software supplied with the 2021 ID.4 is not fit for purpose. It is slow, inaccurate and buggy. The Navigation system is functionally useless. The voice recognition system fails to recognize commands most of the time. Every so often, the driver assist features just shut themselves off and the car has to be left alone for quite some time until the systems come back on line. In general, most of us cannot use these features, which we paid for, and use alternatives such as Android Auto instead. You can see this discussed very frequently on the VW ID.4 USA Owners group on Facebook, and the VW ID Talk forum at https://www.vwidtalk.com.

The continuing silence from VW and the lack of information being supplied to dealers leaves many of us thinking that we will go to another company like Kia or Tesla for future vehicles. In addition, some of us are in the early stages of discussing if a Class Action lawsuit against VW North America might spur some action.

My requests are simple....can VW tell us, and your dealers, when a software update will be available, and will it be Over The Air or will it require a dealer visit? Having some information, as opposed to silence and uncertainty, would go a long way toward reassuring VW customers that the brand is still worth buying from.

I look forward to hearing from you.
The gentleman who called me was Daniel W at [email protected]

So...I got a little further, but VW aren't keeping their support execs or their dealers informed, and the only thing I can suggest is that more of us use those email addresses to raise the level of concern inside VW.

And a Class Action does remain a possibility....

·
VW ID 4 First edition
10 Posts
That’s it VW operating old way “ICE cars “once you buy their car you are on your own they don’t care anymore but ID 4 is electric car and software needs update so they don’t have clue how to do it in USA shame just Class Action Lawsuit I think is needed ASAP

·
264 Posts
This is disappointing. I like this car. I want to buy a FE buzz. But having your car glitch and throw up errors and tell you it is unsafe to drive and to pull over immediately is not OK.

Not addressing these issues is even worse. Why does VW in the USA think so little of its customers?
our MY22 ProAWD got the 3.1 update at the US port of entry. So VW very well can update MY21 IMO... but if you're getting the Buzz, it should have updated software.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,230 Posts
Not to make excuses, but VW of America is a middleman to all of this, too. Without a doubt, they should still provide us the courtesy of communication. But I feel the real target of our collective ire needs to be the mothership, VW AG. VW is directly connected to the software situation and has answers. I can imagine VW of America being kept somewhat in the dark. I'm even told that VW of America was told they were perhaps over communicating at launch.

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
735 Posts
VW has no clue how to communicate with their customers we know that. The old model of relying on dealerships to handle customers has never been great, but VW aren’t communicating with the dealers so there is no hope of dealers communicating with customers.

Customers can be forgiving of delays and of problems IF YOU COMMUNICATE HONESTLY. Radio silence isn’t acceptable in 2022. It seems to me that VW need to put their corporate comms team(s) out to pasture and hire some people who get it.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to make excuses, but VW of America is a middleman to all of this, too. Without a doubt, they should still provide us the courtesy of communication. But I feel the real target of our collective ire needs to be the mothership, VW AG. VW is directly connected to the software situation and has answers. I can imagine VW of America being kept somewhat in the dark. I'm even told that VW of America was told they were perhaps over communicating at launch.
My impression (could be wrong!) was that VW corporate, and in other countries are doing OK - not good or great - at this, and that VW of North America is appalling.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
VW has no clue how to communicate with their customers we know that. The old model of relying on dealerships to handle customers has never been great, but VW aren’t communicating with the dealers so there is no hope of dealers communicating with customers.

Customers can be forgiving of delays and of problems IF YOU COMMUNICATE HONESTLY. Radio silence isn’t acceptable in 2022. It seems to me that VW need to put their corporate comms team(s) out to pasture and hire some people who get it.
Agreed....one of the things I told VW this morning is people hate not being told anything, and being left uncertain of what's going on.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,230 Posts
My impression (could be wrong!) was that VW corporate, and in other countries are doing OK - not good or great - at this, and that VW of North America is appalling.
Possibly, but I believe the Euro-centric "First Movers" Facebook page is operated by VW AG, and that's historically where a lot of information has been handed down.

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
735 Posts
Nope. Same everywhere!

I wrote to Blume a few months back. I detailed the lack of communication, the fact the dealer had little information, and what info the dealer did receive from VW they treated with scepticism. I also chastised them for having no clue what they would manufacture when.

I got a call back from someone in VW UK who had no more information than the dealer and who admitted they were receiving a lot of identical complaints and they could only feed back to VW Germany and received nothing back.

·
48 Posts
I've had my ID.4 for a year now. I actually feel its been longer. I've taken it on long trips and its my daily. I can honestly say for a first gen car, I'm 90% happy with its quality fit and finish. The occasional issues with the display and some function not operating properly at times is where frustration can come in. But the Carplay function is a great sub for its own OS and it always sorts it out on its own either via a reset or when it cools off from the occasional extreme heat out of the sun. Now keeping it for good is still up in the air, maybe if VW will sort the electronics out and the battery still has a long life I will keep it beyond its lease. But thanks for going above and beyond and contacting VW, it's people like you that makes things happen.

·
21 Pro S Gradient RWD Glacier / Black
755 Posts
So destroy everyone’s ID.4 resale value? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! 🤣
Maybe the value is already going to be destroyed anyway, so the class action lawsuit should compensate us for the lost value. At this point I met a lot of people already who immediately asked, "How is the software?" and I had to answer in a not-so-straightforward apologetic way ("eeeh, it is buggy, but it doesn't bother me too much..."). Its like almost everybody know about it already and hesitant to buy an ID.4.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts