Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
ID.4 Pro S
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will VOA provide the ID4 We-Connect smartphone App the ID4 for us in the USA? Or will we get the existing inferior Car-Net App that has been around for years?

The Europeans are already using the We-Connect app to access their ID4 from their smartphones. It is a feature rich a compared to Car-Net app here in the USA which e-Golf drivers have had for the past 6 years. Car-Net is older technology with limited functionality that Has been poorly maintained.

Let’s hope VOA delivers the same We Connect App for the USA that ID Furkan has been demo-ing in his latest videos.

·
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 09/29/2020
45 Posts
I hope so too - if it has Car Net it's a no go for me and I will order the Q4 - too many things then which I don't like on the VW ID4 - we have an R , Tiguan and Atlas currently and all 3 have Car Net which sucks big time. Even Fords system is better LOL

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
107 Posts
Pretty sure it is Car Net, the myVW account is also a Car Net account. Also, step 7 specifically names Car Net

Your {model} comes equipped with Car-Net, which offers a variety of connected features within your vehicle, including remote charging. Begin the Car-Net activation process by downloading the app today.

Available on most MY20 and newer vehicles. Always pay careful attention to the road and do not drive while distracted. Certain services require trial or paid subscriptions, which may have their own terms and conditions. VW Car-Net requires vehicle cellular connectivity and availability of vehicle GPS signal, and not all services and features are available on all vehicles. Certain Car-Net services, such as Roadside Call Assist, connect out to 3rd party providers that may require additional payment. Standard text and data rates may apply for app and web features. Certain services may collect location and vehicle information. See Terms of Service, Privacy Statement, and other important information at www.vw.com/carnet.
There is another thread that has an ID.4 Monroney sticker and car-net is listed directly on the window sitcker.

Reactions: theboomr

·
215 Posts
Pretty sure it is Car Net, the myVW account is also a Car Net account. Also, step 7 specifically names Car Net

There is another thread that has an ID.4 Monroney sticker and car-net is listed directly on the window sitcker.
This sucks. Are we saying that my car and phone can be sitting within the same wifi network and i still have to talk to it via a cellular network?

·
45 Posts
Will check it out when the cars come in - if thats the case I go AUDI. That ID 4 AWD Pro S is then just a Tiguan or Atlas with a Battery at this point :) the development from Car Net is like ZERO if they do OTA with all that old tech I don't know :) The Tiguan I have is a SEL - P R Line Digital Display and has the same Travel Assist as the ID 4 ;-)

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts
Will check it out when the cars come in - if thats the case I go AUDI.
I guess I have never used either one. Both are really just names to me, so I don't have any reason to like/dislike one or the other. I would note that sometimes manufacturers will give different branding to things in different markets. For example, they might upgrade Car-Net to be the U.S. version of We-connect. But we really don't know.

I used BlueLink in my Kona - that thing was awful. It used the cellular modem for everything (no WiFi support), so there was a long lag time between trying to do something and getting a response, and it would frequently time out.

The first cars to be delivered will probably be next week sometime. We will know a lot more once that happens..

·
45 Posts
I guess I have never used either one. Both are really just names to me, so I don't have any reason to like/dislike one or the other. I would note that sometimes manufacturers will give different branding to things in different markets. For example, they might upgrade Car-Net to be the U.S. version of We-connect. But we really don't know.

I used BlueLink in my Kona - that thing was awful. It used the cellular modem for everything (no WiFi support), so there was a long lag time between trying to do something and getting a response, and it would frequently time out.

The first cars to be delivered will probably be next week sometime. We will know a lot more once that happens..
Yeah I hope so - that would really be a bummer to have Car Net LOL u can compare it you your BlueLink in the Kona :) slow and buggy all the time - I canceled it on all three cars and the Atlas is a 2020 which should be the BETTER version - HA HA HA

·
690 Posts
If the ID.4 relies strictly on cell service, that is no bueno for me. My garage is an all metal building and there is no cell service inside it. I do have wifi wired in, really don't want to spend $400 for a decent cell repeater to get cell signal inside.

·
45 Posts
I don't even have a cell signal outside of my house LOL :) at least its very bad. Looks like VW might push us to Q4 with more "luxury" upgrades

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
I'm not so sure about this cellular only argument. Data is data regardless of the network that it rides on. Todays smart phones do all the network negotiation, the data just rides the path of least resistance. Now, the code and the servers that the data lives in could be crap and could have an experience near dial-up data rates. Heck even cellular is generally in the megabits these days. I have crap coverage at my house too, so I share your pain, but I have zero applications that attempt to run on cellular only. It could be that the local, i.e car to phone connection, is trying to run on Bluetooth and that can have issues depending on the protocol and density and type of materials in your home or office.

·
45 Posts
I'm not so sure about this cellular only argument. Data is data regardless of the network that it rides on. Todays smart phones do all the network negotiation, the data just rides the path of least resistance. Now, the code and the servers that the data lives in could be crap and could have an experience near dial-up data rates. Heck even cellular is generally in the megabits these days. I have crap coverage at my house too, so I share your pain, but I have zero applications that attempt to run on cellular only. It could be that the local, i.e car to phone connection, is trying to run on Bluetooth and that can have issues depending on the protocol and density and type of materials in your home or office.

My point is that CAR NET is the biggest crap ever - if you ever tried it - that is so OLD Germany got rid of it years ago and VW USA is still using the old tech - if I by a FUTURE car on battery they should put the latest TECH in it and not that garbage :)

·
690 Posts
If the car only has a cellular connection, then cellular is the only way to communicate with it. I have seen nothing that indicates the car can communicate via wifi. Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
45 Posts
If the car only has a cellular connection, then cellular is the only way to communicate with it. I have seen nothing that indicates the car can communicate via wifi. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Our VW Atlas V6 SEL-P has WiFi connection - but so far thats the ONLY car and model I know that has a WiFi module. You would think a future car would be future proof - a WiFi module costs cents now :) hope they didn't save on that gizmo.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
One of the CarNet upgrades is to support a WiFi hotspot. This isn't the same thing, of course, but it suggests that the car has a WiFi antenna built in as well as a cellular modem.

There are numerous upgrades - it isn't clear if anything comes with the car other than the basic remote start.

·
215 Posts
Our VW Atlas V6 SEL-P has WiFi connection - but so far thats the ONLY car and model I know that has a WiFi module. You would think a future car would be future proof - a WiFi module costs cents now :) hope they didn't save on that gizmo.
I think the car has a wifi and i have seen videos getting the car to connect to your house wifi network. The only question is the remote start and other features work via wi-fi

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Whomever gets the 1st car is going to be bombarded with questions. They might want to go incognito and pretend that they are stuck on step 5

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Whomever gets the 1st car is going to be bombarded with questions. They might want to go incognito and pretend that they are stuck on step 5
Just looking at the features listed in the portal, here is what comes with the car:

Volkswagen Car-Net® Remote Access with 5-years standard
Volkswagen Car-Net® Hotspot +Media with 1-month/1GB trial subscription
Volkswagen Car-Net® Safe & Secure with paid subscription

·
45 Posts
When is your car due LOL :) I get a AWD PRO S so - I'm last here lol

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
107 Posts
The UK owner's manual posted a few weeks ago indicates there is a Wifi client. Of course they have stripped other things out of the US model, so who knows if that will exist over here.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts