Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
7 Posts
There are a few interesting bits of information in that article: from the footnotes, they state NEDC efficiency of 16.9-16.2 kWh/km for the ID.4, 16.2 kWh/km for the 1st edition, and 15.4 - 14.5 kWh/km for the ID.3 . I know not to trust NEDC ratings, but given the similarity in the drivetrain between the ID.3 and ID.4, I think the ratio between the two cars' efficiencies might be the same in the real world. That would put the ID.4 1st edition about 11% less efficient than the ID.3, which is a pretty efficient car. Also, given the range they listed I would guess that it's the AWD variant with 16.9kWh/km NEDC, which is about 4.5% less efficient than the RWD version.

Bjorn Nyland's efficiency test of the ID.3 gave 135 Wh/km or 4.61 miles/kWh at 90 km/h (56 mph), and 205 Wh/km or 3.03 miles/kWh at 120 km/h (75 mph). Scaling by 14.5/16.2 that suggests 4.13 miles/kWh at 56 mph and 2.71 miles/kWh at 75 mph. That would be about 318 or 209 miles at 56 or 75 mph, respectively.

·
ID.4 1st Dusk Blue
78 Posts
I have arrived at similar numbers as you, based on WLTP ranges for both cars and Bjorn's and others tests.

·
48 Posts
Thanks for sharing, but this seems specific to the European-spec (since it’s referencing the Max, which isn’t a trim in N. America).

·
18 Posts
Thanks for sharing, but this seems specific to the European-spec (since it’s referencing the Max, which isn’t a trim in N. America).
If that is true, then I will be very disappointed. Do they think Americans are not sophisticated enough to appreciate that refinement?

I am looking at both the VW and Nissan Ariya which has e4orce. The Nissan seems to have a similar approach to their four wheel driving dynamics and chassis stabilization as that described by VW, although I don’t remember Nissan mentioning damper modulation. It will be interesting if Nissan puts e4orce in models for the US.

I would love to see head to head reviews of the two systems.

·
7 Posts
Yes, it's referring to the Max 1st edition, but the powertrain is identical to the 1st edition we will get in N. America. If anything, I would expect the lower trim that we get to be slightly more efficient, since it probably weighs less and has fewer features.

·
18 Posts
Yes, it's referring to the Max 1st edition, but the powertrain is identical to the 1st edition we will get in N. America. If anything, I would expect the lower trim that we get to be slightly more efficient, since it probably weighs less and has fewer features.
It isn’t a matter of efficiency, but rather the car’s handling dynamics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts