Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though my reservation still shows an estimated delivery date of "Aug-Sept" for a plain Jain Pro, it ARRIVED AT THE DEALER.

Dealer calls me yesterday and says "your car is here, do you want it?"

Umm, okay. I made an appointment for today. Went to the dealership with my Tiguan.

They looked at my Tiguan for lease return and I showed them three printouts showing offers between 20,000 and 21,300.

They agreed the Tiguan and my credit were in good shape and offered me:

17,000 for my Tiguan.
ID4 for msrp plus destination ( about 41.5k ) into 36mo 12k miles per year lease of:
No money due at sign.
$620 per month tax included.

Needless to say I drove home in my Tiguan. Lol.

My current plan is to buy the Tiguan from the originating dealer, to save dealer fees, pay my States sales tax, and sell the car to either one of those 3 websites, or as a trade in another brand's lease.

·
25 Posts
That does sound like a really high lease payment. I know there is a Dealer Shenanigans thread around here that talks about some of this stuff. It does sound like your dealer was not one of the better ones, to put it mildly. I think that the consensus is that, by reserving the ID.4 online (and choosing a dealer for delivery as you have to), the car is more yours than the dealer's, and they really shouldn't be charging more than MSRP for it. Of course some do, and they suck. Leasing puts a little more fuzziness on the mathematics, but others have said that you just need to make sure the dealer is up front with all the lease details, money factor, residuals, etc, so that you can figure out what they are charging for the car.

You are probably well out of having to do business with that dealer. A bad dealer probably has every reason to try to get you to walk away from the deal since the car becomes theirs at that point (I think) and they can mark it up as they want to. So sad.

I hope you get your $500 back with a minimum of stress. I was pretty lucky, my dealer (from whom I've bought several cars) was pretty straightforward about the financials (I bought). I'm thinking that you almost need to start out by interviewing the local dealers before you make a reservation, if you have the luxury of several dealers in reach, and find out what they plan to do if you were to order an ID.4. Which may be too late by now. I know it's a pain, but if I were you I'd find the VW customer service or maybe their e-mobility email and let them know your experience with all the dealer details. Good luck.

·
124 Posts
And now the website showing my reservation has an error, so I can't even request my $500 dollars back. Super fun experience.
The dealer is the entity that charges that, and it should show up on your CC statement as them. Should be no reason you can't ask them directly to refund you even if the reservation site isn't working.

Reactions: plh

·
16 Posts
If it’s available in your area try carvan. They offer top dollar and they don’t have to pay taxes on the purchase so they get a lower buyout price which equals more money for you. Also there is a email for VW I the dealer shenanigans thread. Contact them and they might be able to get you a better lease rate. Without knowing what taxes and incentives are where you live I can’t say what it should be but probably at least in the 500s with no cost drive off

·
185 Posts
Even though my reservation still shows an estimated delivery date of "Aug-Sept" for a plain Jain Pro, it ARRIVED AT THE DEALER.

Dealer calls me yesterday and says "your car is here, do you want it?"

Umm, okay. I made an appointment for today. Went to the dealership with my Tiguan.

They looked at my Tiguan for lease return and I showed them three printouts showing offers between 20,000 and 21,300.

17,000 for my Tiguan.
ID4 for msrp plus destination ( about 41.5k ) into 36mo 12k miles per year lease of:
No money due at sign.
$620 per month tax included.

Needless to say I drove home in my Tiguan. Lol.

My current plan is to buy the Tiguan from the originating dealer, to save dealer fees, pay my States sales tax, and sell the car to either one of those 3 websites, or as a trade in another brand's lease.
We had a 2019 Tiguan and traded it for a first addition ID.4. They gave us 26k for the Tiguan and threw in other incentives. Sounds like you need to go to a different dealer.

·
563 Posts
We had a 2019 Tiguan and traded it for a first addition ID.4. They gave us 26k for the Tiguan and threw in other incentives. Sounds like you need to go to a different dealer.
My FE was 105 of 500 off the first ship. My dealer knows the terminal guy with the manifest. His dealership is 12 miles from the Baltimore port of entry.
He gave me great trade in on my Jetta. I drove home at MSRP. I was happy, he was happy.
Win-Win😁.

·
3 Posts

17,000 for my Tiguan.
I don't understand why you get an offer for a lease retrun? More information please. My experience if I return a lease before it is due, they still charge me the lease payments that will be due in the future. They take the lease car and I get nothing.

·
ID.4 Pro, Mythos Black
142 Posts
That sucks sorry man 😞. Dealership can totally ruin everything (or any 3rd party in anything you buy). This country is just built on 3rd party distributors for some reason and it is really aggravating if it is a bad 3rd party. I sold my 10 year old 150k mile truck for 16k that I bought for 24k on Facebook Marketplace. Put that as a downpayment on the ID.4 + 4k, took at a 25k loan at 2% for 60 months at $460 payments per month. My fuel savings are 3k a year (my truck was 17miles/gallon). So in my case it was a good financial decision, but not so much in everyone's case

·
45 Posts
I don't feel I did too badly on my ID-4 deal. I gave the dealer $2000 and a 2020 Tiguan with 9800 miles on it as it was leased and I was only a year and a half into it's lease, but I really wanted the ID4 Pro S they happened to get ONE of and had no others. The payment ended up only $500 a month so not too terrible. I was already paying $460 for the Tiguan. This ID-4 is a league beyond the Tiguan in all regards. Better ride, handling, super quiet and of course NO gas needed. Much faster of course and I love the seats. All in all I'm not sorry I made the move from the Tiguan to the ID-4

·
35 Posts
I have Tiguan right now with an AWD Pro S on order. If the lease comes in more than $600 all in I plan to walk also. Can just go lease an Audi Q5 for that price. Electric is not a requirement for my next car, and I feel that represents the vast number of consumers who cross shop the ID.4… So VW needs to get the lease price more in line with reality - it’s a VW after all. With the tax credits these should be leasing for under $500 with zero down…. I can go lease a Kona EV for under $200 per month.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
310 Posts
It's strange that VW will police top line price for sales of ordered ID.4s but basically do nothing to police ridiculous lease calculations?

·
2021 Chevy Bolt
56 Posts
Dang $620 seems like a ton for a lease payment.
But there’s no money down. The VW website posts number with at least $3,600 due at signing (if memory serves- it’s been awhile since I looked), so this number isn’t far off.

Were they rolling leftovers from the Tiguan into the new lease? That’s happened to me in the past.

·
18 Posts
In Canada a Pro AWD with Statement package is 824$/months for 4 years 20 000km/year at 6.49% interest... No cash down. Residual 42%

·
190 Posts
I got the regular 41k MSRP one with 392/month here in texas. couldn't be more happier
Is this a lease with a few thousand $$$ down? Leases should be compared with $0 down. There is no monetary benefit to cash down for cap cost reduction on a lease, other than a lower payment. You pay the same amount in the end.

·
53 Posts
Is this a lease with a few thousand $$$ down? Leases should be compared with $0 down. There is no monetary benefit to cash down for cap cost reduction on a lease, other than a lower payment. You pay the same amount in the end.
Zero down only first month payment

1 - 19 of 19 Posts