Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm confused. Here are some videos on Matrix headlights:

It looks like 1st at least gets "Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) and All-weather lights with Low-speed cornering lights"

Maybe that does not include the feature shown in the videos where the car dims the headlight for only the spot where the car ahead is? So maybe our main beam does not include that array of LEDs?

·
36 Posts
But it still moves around like the IQ light right?
No. Just standard “dumb” lights with LED light source. You will have to manually turn on/off high beams like you do now. I think the cornering light will come in the US models though.

·
23 Posts
No. Just standard “dumb” lights with LED light source. You will have to manually turn on/off high beams like you do now. I think the cornering light will come in the US models though.
If you go to 10:20 in the USA reveal video he says the lights move and it shows them moving as well, I think it’s in the statement package. Also, in MKBHD’s twitter thread today, you can see the lights

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
116 Posts
If you go to 10:20 in the USA reveal video he says the lights move and it shows them moving as well, I think it’s in the statement package. Also, in MKBHD’s twitter thread today, you can see the lights
That certainly describes the functionality (exactly how I've seen it on ID.3 reviews). And the lights shown on MKBHD's twitter feed are those (he was driving a preproduction car).

Perhaps the hardware is the same, but only programmed to be stationary until legal (and an OTA update enables them). We can hope!

It is odd that VoA would include that as part of the announcement...

·
45 Posts
Headlights that move with steering aren't illegal in the US, my '16 BMW has them. I'm not sure what about the LED lights folks are saying are illegal.

·
Super Moderator
2021 ID.4 Reservation
47 Posts
I actually find cornering lights distracting (headlights that angle with a turn), but I'm likely in the minority. I prefer the type that keep the headlights straight but augment with a side light.

I do appreciate Euro-bright LED headlights however. In fact it was the number one requisite for my wife in moving from a Caddy ATS to a Benz GLA (elder eyes need more contrast at night in particular).

It's the LED matrix-automation that's not US DOT approved. They still only sanction ol' school discrete manual high-low beams.

·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is possible what is missing is only the split beams (darkening a specific direction where a car ahead is detected). On more Googling last night, I did come across another, I think non VW example, where the hardware will be there, and a software update could add the matrix functionality.

I think we might get "High Beam Control (Light Assist)" which might automatically switch from high beam on detection of an oncoming car. I had this feature either in my Gen II Volt and/or the Bolt (I think it was a button on one of the stalks), don't remember, but this limited feature is definitely allowed in the U.S.

·
36 Posts
It is possible what is missing is only the split beams (darkening a specific direction where a car ahead is detected). On more Googling last night, I did come across another, I think non VW example, where the hardware will be there, and a software update could add the matrix functionality.

I think we might get "High Beam Control (Light Assist)" which might automatically switch from high beam on detection of an oncoming car. I had this feature either in my Gen II Volt and/or the Bolt (I think it was a button on one of the stalks), don't remember, but this limited feature is definitely allowed in the U.S.
It’s the automatic dimming around objects/cars/signs that we will not get. Perhaps we get the same looking equipment, but not sure. There is a definite difference in the description of what the US gets and the IQ light system on the web.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
116 Posts
Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) and All-weather lights with Low-speed cornering lights
I think we may get the same equipment with only the coming/leaving home features enabled.

·
36 Posts
That is correct. The headlights will move. And it looks like the equipment is very similar looking. I would be curious to see the “bulb” to see if it is similar. But they are not the matrix system. That system dims lights around objects/signs/cars while keeping the periphery lit up. That type of system is illegal in the US. The “bulb” for that has 75 very small LEDs arranged in a horizontal array. If we get a similar “bulb” maybe we could get an OTA update to enable if it ever becomes legal in the US.

·
36 Posts
I think we may get the same equipment with only the coming/leaving home features enabled.
Looking around, it appears Porsche and Audi are offering matrix head lights as equipment without the function turned on in hopes the NHSTA approves of it in the very near future. Possible VW gives the same treatment in hopes of approval and an OTA update can turn it on.

·
Super Moderator
2021 ID.4 Reservation
47 Posts
Yes, the US DOT is abysmally slow to approve new technologies. As I cited earlier one of the primary reasons my wife went from a Caddy ATS to a Benz GLA were the ol' school dim-yellowish Bi-xenon headlights of the Caddy vs. nice bright-bluish LED of the GLA. But here's hoping VW has facilitated a relatively easy upgrade in the ID.4 should the approval day finally arrive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts