Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I ordered Lectron's new compact 48amp Tesla to J1772 adapter during their Black Friday sale. I immediately had second thoughts (despite a great deal). I think it's brand new so I doubt anyone has any experience with it. It doesn't appear to be UL certified and I've seen quite a few posts with people saying your adapter should be 50amps minimum.

I really just wanted to have something I could keep in the car in case a destination charger is my only option. But I also don't want to use anything that would be potentially bad for the vehicle.

Any thoughts on this one?

·
166 Posts
Yesterday I ordered Lectron's new compact 48amp Tesla to J1772 adapter during their Black Friday sale. I immediately had second thoughts (despite a great deal). I think it's brand new so I doubt anyone has any experience with it. It doesn't appear to be UL certified and I've seen quite a few posts with people saying your adapter should be 50amps minimum.

I really just wanted to have something I could keep in the car in case a destination charger is my only option. But I also don't want to use anything that would be potentially bad for the vehicle.

IS the Black Friday sale only $30.00 off or is there a code I am missing?

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoa - sketch AF - under warranty, they say 30 days and also not books CD and vinyl... yeah. I'm out.
Huh? not sure what you are looking at, It says it comes with a 1-year warranty.

“LECTRON 1 YEAR WARRANTY - Our Customer Support Team is here to help should you have any issues with your charger; If we can't resolve the problem to your satisfaction, you will get a full refund or replacement - no questions asked"

·
20 Posts
My guess is that it should be fine, but somebody more knowledgeable should confirm. The ID.4 has a max charge current of 48 amps. I assume that even if you have a Destination charger with a possible 100 amp current delivery rate, the charging would still be limited to 48 amps by the ID.4. The can't be said for the adapters rated for 40 amps. They would charge at the max rate of 48 amps and exceed the adapter rating.

·
166 Posts
Huh? not sure what you are looking at, It says it comes with a 1-year warranty.

“LECTRON 1 YEAR WARRANTY - Our Customer Support Team is here to help should you have any issues with your charger; If we can't resolve the problem to your satisfaction, you will get a full refund or replacement - no questions asked"
I saw that too, BUT, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the word warranty....

Read this to the end... sketchy at best.

"
Warranty

Lectron Refund Policy
Returns
Our policy lasts 30 days. If 30 days have gone by since your purchase, unfortunately we can’t offer you a refund or exchange.

To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it. It must also be in the original packaging.

Several types of goods are exempt from being returned. Perishable goods such as food, flowers, newspapers or magazines cannot be returned. We also do not accept products that are intimate or sanitary goods, hazardous materials, or flammable liquids or gases.

Additional non-returnable items:
Gift cards
Downloadable software products
Some health and personal care items"

They sell software, intimate, and personal care items? WTF? Something is not on the up and up with this site and it the people that run it.

Where do they copy past that from???

·
178 Posts

·
966 Posts
The key part of the other thread was this recommending to only use the flexible type:
If you will use it on ID4 i would advise on flexible type of adapter.....it will create ID4 charging port malfunction.....

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
387 Posts
If you're looking for the cheapest way to go and still have 48 amp capacity and you'll only be using it infrequently, I think you'll probably be fine

It looks to be plastic, it's not UL approved and I'm a bit concerned with it - Would I buy it? Don't think so. They cost a little more (or a lot more for the mini) but the genuine Tesla Tap products are first rate and can't be beat for quality. Connectors made from CNC machined Delrin

Don

·
363 Posts
Mine is arriving on Wednesday. I’ll be selling my original corded version, it’s too bulky for me.

Everyone gets hung up on the UL listed thing with EV charging equipment, but I’ve never read of a failure/meltdown of a single product in my life. Not even on the worst Amazon vehicle chargers or adapters. I’m sure someone out there has had a failure but it seems like there are more EV vehicle fires caused by the battery itself than non-UL listed accessories.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021) and ID.4 Pro/S (acquired 8/20/21)
312 Posts
I have the corded one from Tesla tap and just ordered this one for my second ID4. They will undoubtedly be used infrequently, but I want to have one in each trunk just in case.

·
96 Posts

I almost bought it the other day, but I decided to back out at the last moment.

I wanted to get a Tesla Gen 2 wall charger with the J1772 plug, but for some reason they are completely gone from the Tesla site. My plan was to get one charger with the built-in J1772 plug and use the standard Tesla J1772-to-Tesla adapter (which is now $50 on the Tesla site). However, the Tesla Gen 2 adapter was suddenly removed from the Tesla site. I am out of town right now, so I was waiting for the mid week to order it so that it gets delivered when I get back. I had this nagging feeling that it would be gone when I was ready to order it, and it's exactly what happened.

So, I ordered the Tesla Gen 3 charger with the Tesla connector and now I need a Tesla to J1772 adapter. I already have a Model Y, and my ID.4 should be delivered in January - February 2022. I think I will end up buying the Teslatap Mini 80 amp adapter for the ID.4. It's expensive, but it seems to be the one to get IMO.

·
115 Posts
I have the corded one from Tesla tap and just ordered this one for my second ID4. They will undoubtedly be used infrequently, but I want to have one in each trunk just in case.
I did the same thing, Tesla Tap with cord because it is much cheaper than the mini and it's not something I will be using much. It's mainly for when we travel and the hotel has a charger, to be able to charge using either a general charger or a tesla destination charger.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
393 Posts
I almost bought it the other day, but I decided to back out at the last moment.

I wanted to get a Tesla Gen 2 wall charger with the J1772 plug, but for some reason they are completely gone from the Tesla site. My plan was to get one charger with the built-in J1772 plug and use the standard Tesla J1772-to-Tesla adapter (which is now $50 on the Tesla site). However, the Tesla Gen 2 adapter was suddenly removed from the Tesla site. I am out of town right now, so I was waiting for the mid week to order it so that it gets delivered when I get back. I had this nagging feeling that it would be gone when I was ready to order it, and it's exactly what happened.

So, I ordered the Tesla Gen 3 charger with the Tesla connector and now I need a Tesla to J1772 adapter. I already have a Model Y, and my ID.4 should be delivered in January - February 2022. I think I will end up buying the Teslatap Mini 80 amp adapter for the ID.4. It's expensive, but it seems to be the one to get IMO.
The Tesla Gen II Mobile connector plus TeslaTap is pretty competitive. $275 + $170. It charges at up to 32 amps which is fine by me and you have a TeslaTap for trips. If you include third party suppliers there are over a dozen adapters for the UMC making it one of the most versatile solutions for road trips. The circuitry in the adapters ensures the vehicle draws the appropriate amperage, no guess work or mistakes.

·
6 Posts
I have a Tesla UMC, and bought the 40amp bigger Lectron version from Amazon. I had a strange issue with it not sending full power (24amps on my nema 15-30), I was only getting like 5mi added per hour. I returned it and bought the TelsaTap 40amp (non mini) from amazon, and that worked great, and am getting the exact speeds I was expecting. The Lectron and the TeslaTap were about the same price on Amazon. 40A is all I need, this will not be used for a tesla destination charger.

As others have mentioned, even if you had to buy a Tesla UMC, and this adapter, that is still probably a cheaper way to go rather than buying a different L2 EVSE with the J1172.

·
96 Posts
The Tesla Gen II Mobile connector plus TeslaTap is pretty competitive. $275 + $170. It charges at up to 32 amps which is fine by me and you have a TeslaTap for trips. If you include third party suppliers there are over a dozen adapters for the UMC making it one of the most versatile solutions for road trips. The circuitry in the adapters ensures the vehicle draws the appropriate amperage, no guess work or mistakes.
I was talking about the Tesla wall connector, which is their non-portable EVSE that must be hardwired. Tesla released a 40 amp version of it with the J1772 plug on November 1, 2021. Unfortunately, they removed this EVSE from their web site late last week or early this week. I planned to order it around Thanksgiving because I was out of town, so I tried to delay the delivery until after I returned home. Unfortunately, I was too late to order.

This short-lived 40 amp Tesla Wall Connector with the J1772 plug was priced at $415.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts