Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought of a question that might prove interesting and perhaps useful:What are you paying in your area for electricity per kWh? Include all charges reflected on your bill. (Distribution Service, Generation, Transmission, Fuel, Sales & use surcharge, taxes, and anything else you might be charged for on your bill. Also please include your general area.

For me in central Va. USA = .13 per kWh

Attachments

·
36 Posts
Here in SoCal, it's gotta be the most convoluted way of charging us (just so they can charge more, I'm sure). We have tiered rates and zones for baseline allocations (how much we can use each month for each rate). We pay either 22c, 28c or 35c per kWh, depending on usage. You can see why I'm very intrigued by the 3 years of free charging! Read more here: Tiered Rate Plan | Rates | Your Home | Home - SCE

·
13 Posts
Portland, OR. Currently it's $0.12/kWh but I'll switch to a time-of-use rate, which should shift nighttime charging to $0.09 or $0.095/kWh.

·
ID.4 Pro S (Statement) AWD Reservation 9/23/20
274 Posts
L.A. (CA) DWP TOU Service, base rate (off hours) varies mo-to-mo but has been $0.16-0.18/kWh + 10% City of Los Angeles Utility Tax. There is an EV discount ($0.025/kWh) but you need to install a dedicated EV TOU meter for your charger. I have solar so my personal rate is $0.

·
ID.4 Pro S (Statement) AWD Reservation 9/23/20
274 Posts
Here in SoCal, it's gotta be the most convoluted way of charging us (just so they can charge more, I'm sure). We have tiered rates and zones for baseline allocations (how much we can use each month for each rate). We pay either 22c, 28c or 35c per kWh, depending on usage. You can see why I'm very intrigued by the 3 years of free charging! Read more here: Tiered Rate Plan | Rates | Your Home | Home - SCE
SCE has an EV TOU plan you should look into (same link you included). [Or solar if you have the ability]

·
6 Posts
I thought of a question that might prove interesting and perhaps useful:What are you paying in your area for electricity per kWh? Include all charges reflected on your bill. (Distribution Service, Generation, Transmission, Fuel, Sales & use surcharge, taxes, and anything else you might be charged for on your bill. Also please include your general area.

For me in central Va. USA = .13 per kWh
$0.098 / kWh in TN (nuclear and hydro power)

·
ID.4 1st Blue
205 Posts
San Diego - I paid $0.29/kWh before I went solar. Now I’m on TOU where the rate varies between 0.22 and 0.53 ( summer only), but extra solar keeps me negative until the car sucks it up, at which time I expect to be net zero.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition arrived port-USA
370 Posts
This thread actually motivated me to look for the first time in 2.5 yrs since moving into my retiree downsized community. 🤪

$.137 per kWh Pleasantly surprising given Taxachusetts

Alas our sole nuke is now offline. Most generation is natural gas (although some with coal backup).

7 discrete charges in my case with Distribution & Transmission being significantly higher than others and including an "electric vehicle charge" of .00011 /kWh ??? Perhaps, although not used to date, my Chargepoint is now on their radar? A nickel a month.

But then I also get a "distributed solar charge" [rebate] of -.00362 Must be thanks to the town's former landfill now covered in solar panels.

·
161 Posts
Colorado 0.12/kWh but running solar panels so most of the year I'm using my summer time generation credit with my utility

·
13 Posts
How does your utility track that "time of use"?Just time stamp it?
Time stamp, yes.
Most all Portland General Electric customers have advanced meters that can track energy consumption by time. Time-of-use (TOU) customers pay different amounts for the energy portion of the electricity depending upon a pre-set schedule. The off-peak time period starts at 10pm year round and reduces the energy portion of the utility bill to 3.5 cents/kWh instead of 6 cents during shoulder hours or I think it is 8 cents for peak periods which vary a little between summer and winter since Oregon is a dual peak state. The distribution, transmission, and green power charges remain the same regardless and amount to another 6 cents/kWh.
PGE also just started a Level 2 Residential Charger rebate program that will pay you $500 to get a wifi-enabled charger as well as $50 a year if you allow them to shut the charger off during select peak electricity periods. Since those times are almost always between 5-9 pm in the summer and 7-9 am in the winter, it's close to free money for EV owners that wouldn't be charging during those times anyway.

·
22 Posts
This thread actually motivated me to look for the first time in 2.5 yrs since moving into my retiree downsized community. 🤪

$.137 per kWh Pleasantly surprising given Taxachusetts

Alas our sole nuke is now offline. Most generation is natural gas (although some with coal backup).

7 discrete charges in my case with Distribution & Transmission being significantly higher than others and including an "electric vehicle charge" of .00011 /kWh ??? Perhaps, although not used to date, my Chargepoint is now on their radar? A nickel a month.

But then I also get a "distributed solar charge" [rebate] of -.00362 Must be thanks to the town's former landfill now covered in solar panels.
I think that’s a state wide tax that everyone pays. We have had multiple PHEV’s but I’ve only seen this tax recently. Simular to the energy efficiency tax that funds the MassSave programs.

·
22 Posts
Worcester, MA - $.1144/kWh
My city offers $.1144/kWh for 39% green supply or $.1403/kWh for 100% green supply.
Supply from the distribution provider, National Grid is $.1238/kWh for 16% green supply (min requirement from the commonwealth)

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition arrived port-USA
370 Posts
btw: Just recently my town in southeastern MA has contracted with CleanChoice Energy, although still under the National Grid admin/billing umbrella. As the name implies "CleanChoice sources wind and solar energy on your behalf."
Looking back, that's when the "distributed solar charge" rebate commenced. So CleanChoice giveth and MassSave taketh away. 🤪

btw(2) Just heard on the news this morning that gasoline prices in our area are again on the rise. No surprise there. Hurry up with the ID.4 VW !!

btw(3) As you know, but others may not, there are four Commonwealth states in the USA. The naming convention doesn't really mean anything, just that the founding fathers liked the sound of a "common wealth" better than a state. MA tends to absorb a lot of the common wealth however, but that's another topic and not for this forum. ;)

I think that’s a state wide tax that everyone pays. We have had multiple PHEV’s but I’ve only seen this tax recently. Simular to the energy efficiency tax that funds the MassSave programs.

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...btw(3) As you know, but others may not, there are four Commonwealth states in the USA. The naming convention doesn't really mean anything, just that the founding fathers liked the sound of a "common wealth" better than a state. MA tends to absorb a lot of the common wealth however, but that's another topic and not for this forum. ;)
Indeed, I too live in a "Commonwealth State" The Commonwealth of Virginia. I find it interesting that I live within 25 miles of two Nukes and 75 miles away from another 2 and yet my kWh rate is higher than that of others that use Nukes for power gen.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts