Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
White ProS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, guys,

I hope this list will help inform potential ID.4 Pro S buyers when they compare with other EV cars on the market. To be upfront, I am a little regretful buying the Pro S (I should have gone with the Pro model). This list is not to bash the car but is a list of improvements for VW to consider. Some feedbacks have already been posted by other users. More are always welcome. Here we go:

1. Camera! A modern EV car having a single camera (reverse camera) is laughable. There are only two views, one with guidelines, but the aspect ratio is messed up, and the other is a simple fisheye view; for what purpose, I do not know. Reverse at night is literally a night..mare (pun intended). Bad design leads to a poorly lit area behind the car.

2. The infotainment system is sluggish. UI/UX is ugly. They tried too hard with color scheme and animation that eats up the processing power. Instead, they should stick with a simple monotone icon. Compared to other EVs screens, this feels like from the early 2000s design that they kept in the file cabinet. The infotainment system and haptic feedback control bar froze on me a couple of times already.

3. The haptic feedback control bar under the screen is not backlit. A night drive, not so visible (Honestly, I believed VW forgot this in their design)

3a. Slow voice response - Does anyone here actually use this feature and have a slow voice response?

4. Homelink power dies once you are parked and let go of the brake even though power is still on and available.

5. Climate control is unusable for like 10-15 sec when you sit down and are ready to go.

6. CarNet app will not turn on climate if you had turned climate control off in the car. Also, give us more mobile functions. Like seats heat, mirror defrost, lock/unlock, trunk, windows,

7. Can not lock air recirculation button. It will reset every time you step out.. crazy! Let say I lived in a industrial town where smell is a problem

8. Lane Keep Assist will default back ON every time you get in the vehicle. We need to provide a "lock/hold" option for this feature.

9. Charge port will not give a warning if it is open and you engaged drive. (Broken my charge port the third day of ownership.....had to order the part from Germany and fix it myself)

10. VW did not utilize all the space for the middle console since the floor is flat (so much wasted space). People are selling 3D printed storage online.

11. Middle console design is terrible. They put two type-C plugs inside the middle console, which is already a tiny space (scratching my head).

12. Coins! We still use coins as currency in the US. No small compartment to hold them.

13. When backing up, I check left and right visually because the single rear camera does not capture the whole surrounding. The car will slam hard on the brake when you twist and lift your body to check traffic. (will scare the crap out of you - you are warned)

14. Navigation map (why bother). Most businesses displayed on the map are either not there or out of business which means this navigation data is ancient.

15. Plugs..... Yeah, ONLY four in the whole car and they are all USB-c plugs. That is it.

16. Massage front seats - gimmick feature (I fell for this). How often do you use the massage tech on the car asking the Pro S buyer? Maybe put resources toward sensors/cameras.

17. Software updates will NOT be like an industry leader like Telsa even though they promised 12 weeks timeframe....Where is my OTA?

In conclusion, I wish the extra cash I spent for Pro S had gone to more sensors, more cameras, more robust software, more range..... instead, I got the same sensors, same camera,same software, same range as a Pro model except a lot of gimmicks such as useless light bar, glow emblem, LED DRL, massage seats, and glass roof. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ (smack my forehead).

Please let me know your thoughts if you agree or disagree with my list or have more stuff added to the list.

PS... While regretful, I still love the car very much compare to all previous ICE cars.

·
7 Posts
Why can't you see the odometer or trip odometer unless the vehicle is stopped and you then have to dig through the UI to find your mileage? Plus the center display has so much dead space with the travel assist/cruise control that many normal driving data is relegated to the large central display or buried in the menus. And why is the seat heater display on ALL THE TIME?!?!?!?! Why does that need to be displayed in the summer? It is almost like they had a barebones alpha "This is what the UI should look like and we can build the production one off of this" prototype and just used that for production. Does any of the UI designers actually drive a car? Am I incorrect here?

·
2021 Mythos Black ProS RWD
10 Posts
I have to agree with you on the charge port door. I’m still getting used to the fact that to get it to close you have to physically push it until it latches. My previous car, would spring shut with a light push. Going to take a while to train my brain.

A minor nit-pick is I wish the steering wheel display had the option to put something on the right of the screen when navigation was not being used. I rarely use navigation (either the ID4’s or my phone’s) it would be nice to have the option for something in that space so that the screen was more balanced.

That said, I still feel this is the most fun to drive, enjoyable car I’ve owned.

·
White ProS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to agree with you on the charge port door. I’m still getting used to the fact that to get it to close you have to physically push it until it latches. My previous car, would spring shut with a light push. Going to take a while to train my brain.

A minor nit-pick is I wish the steering wheel display had the option to put something on the right of the screen when navigation was not being used. I rarely use navigation (either the ID4’s or my phone’s) it would be nice to have the option for something in that space so that the screen was more balanced.

That said, I still feel this is the most fun to drive, enjoyable car I’ve owned.
Yep.. Even in the due summertime, that icon will always be there at the lower-left corner.

·
25 Posts
The ID4 is a great overall vehicle but there are some issues.
  • Random warning messages that never seem to be real or affect the ability to drive the car. Just annoying.
  • Charging cable not unlocking as it should. Luckily the “click unlock 3-times on the keyfob” trick seems to work consistently to unlock the charging cable.
  • Infotainment screen sometimes will not come on at all. Just a black unresponsive screen. That means no back-up camera, parking assistance, etc. Very unsafe.
    Lane keep assist defaults to on. Dangerous in city traffic with pedestrians and bikes. The ID4 is always swerving TOWARD bikes in an effort to keep the car centered in the lane.
  • Sub par audio system. It is really, really inadequate and does not fit a vehicle promising up to date tech. Especially at this price point.
  • Seat/mirror memory not working based on driver's key fob
  • Many issues with voice calls via AppleCar play vs Bluetooth
  • Navigation not automatically routing drivers to Electrify America fast chargers. Navigation trying to send drivers to all manner of slow chargers. Navigation displaying gas station logos.
  • Hello ID could be a great voice assistant but it slow and like the nav just not EV savvy enough. As an example if you ask Hello ID to take you to a charging starting it will also offer you gas stations.
  • Car-Net app is a joke. It sounds harsh but compared with the Tesla app what VW are doing is laughable.
  • The transition from region braking to hydraulic brakes at slow speeds could be improved for feel and consistency.

As others have stated even with these issues my wife and I still find the ID4 an impressive EV and enjoy it overall. That said, it seems we really ID4 adopters have to make lots of excuses for bugs and systems that are not really completely ready for the typical consumer who may not be as forgiving.

There are some areas where VW could hugely improve the ownership experience too.

Driver Profiles
ID4 desperately needs DRIVER PROFILES. Either associated with the key or with a much improved app. A way to store driver preferences for seat/mirrors, radio/infotainment, connectivity/address books, drive assist settings, drive mode settings, etc. The future is now and EV owners expect this of all of their devices including their car.

A Better VW Car Net App
The Car-Net app is horrible and needs to be overhauled completely. It doesn't come close to living up to the promise of ID4 and our EV future. I hate to compare ID4 to Tesla because ID4 does not need to copy Tesla it needs to be better than Tesla, to exceed the expectations of new EV buyers and those coming from Tesla. And that includes the app.

Fast Charging
The majority of owners charge at home and wake up with a full charge everyday. However the non-EV owning public just don't understand this concept. It is completely foreign to them. What helps sell EVs now, today, is the promise of reliable fast charging. The Electrify America charging infrastructure appears to be growing at an impressive rate and should HELP VW sell ID4s in the United Stated but it seems like VW are doing everything they can to shoot themselves in the foot in this regard. Every ID4 should include EASY one-touch access to the Electrify America charging network BUILT IN to the infotainment and navigation of the car. That is not merely a suggestion, this desperately needs to happen and fast. Like Tesla and some other EVs the ID4 should be smart enough to calculate every Electrify America stop along a given route. The system should be able to approximate what level of charge the ID4 will be at when it arrives at the charger and show the driver how long they will need to charge and to what percent to make it to the next Electrify Charging station on the route. The car should also display state of charge upon reaching the final destination. VW should NOT leave this up to third party app makers. Doing so is a disservice to VW customers, VW dealers, and Electrify America charging stations. Why would VW send people outside their own ecosystem where customers can be influenced by competitors or other parties? It makes zero sense!

·
2021 ID.4 RWD Pro S
4 Posts
Maybe I’ve been lucky, but I’ve never had that big of a problem with the infotainment system that you show in the video. I did take the advice of others on here and remove the nav tile from the home screens though. Could that be the difference?

·
2021 Mythos Black ProS RWD
10 Posts
Hello ID could be a great voice assistant but it slow and like the nav just not EV savvy enough. As an example if you ask Hello ID to take you to a charging starting it will also offer you gas stations
I needed to get to the dealership and asked Hello ID for “Volkswagen dealership” and it gave me a list of German restaurants in my town but no dealers. :rolleyes:

·
45 Posts
Overall we love the car but nothing is perfect. Here's my list:

1. Carnet - too few functions and too unreliable
2. Missing backlight on infotainment
3. Too reliant on touchscreen instead of real buttons
4. Radio operation is clumsy at best
5. Too much piano black bits

·
2021 ID.4 ProS AWD
2 Posts
Just pick up our ID.4 ProS AWD last week. Love the car even with these faults, but I will wait a few more weeks.

So the first thing I noticed so far with cold temps:
1. With temps -10 is the windshield washer fluid struggles to come out of the nozzles, so the heated washer nozzles do little to help.
2. At -15 I drove 12 miles and my range went from 165 miles to 95 miles.

·
55 Posts
3 months of ownership and except for a limited car-net app and the sometimes unresponsive Infotainment system, I do not feel the other issues are major. Yes the rear view camera definitely is something of a mystery as why that was not caught ahead of time.

I do concur at $45K for Pro S, they could have added few more sensors to make the car better than cosmetic upgrades.

I do use the massage feature a bit though and I am glad this is the only car I am aware that offers this.

·
238 Posts
The occasional random warning that goes away but affects nothing is my only complaint, well besides no "perfect" autonomous driving like Tesla has (SMACK right into the parked emergency vehicle!!!). Ford e-Mustang drivers tell me they get random warning messages too so it seems common to EV's. And the EA chargers need to be more reliable. And 99 mph top speed is too slow for all but the right lane of the Autobahn.

·
White ProS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just pick up our ID.4 ProS AWD last week. Love the car even with these faults, but I will wait a few more weeks.

So the first thing I noticed so far with cold temps:
1. With temps -10 is the windshield washer fluid struggles to come out of the nozzles, so the heated washer nozzles do little to help.
2. At -15 I drove 12 miles and my range went from 165 miles to 95 miles.
Congrats on the AWD (a little jealous). I did not know ID.4 has heated nozzles. I think you will continue to see a huge drop in battery capacity due to extreme cold, AWD (two motors - drain more battery), and you have to use heat for warmth (this also kills the battery a lot). I am sure (hope) you did some research on battery performance for cold climate operation. It will be better in the summertime.

·
White ProS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The occasional random warning that goes away but affects nothing is my only complaint, well besides no "perfect" autonomous driving like Tesla has (SMACK right into the parked emergency vehicle!!!). Ford e-Mustang drivers tell me they get random warning messages too so it seems common to EV's. And the EA chargers need to be more reliable. And 99 mph top speed is too slow for all but the right lane of the Autobahn.
99 mph is slow? My feet shake when I hit 75mph. Wish I can visit the Autobahn and truly see how fast people drive. I believed (not 100% sure) that EV range drops quickly when you open the throttle driving anything above 65mph.

·
White ProS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The ID4 is a great overall vehicle but there are some issues.
  • Random warning messages that never seem to be real or affect the ability to drive the car. Just annoying.
  • Charging cable not unlocking as it should. Luckily the “click unlock 3-times on the keyfob” trick seems to work consistently to unlock the charging cable.
  • Infotainment screen sometimes will not come on at all. Just a black unresponsive screen. That means no back-up camera, parking assistance, etc. Very unsafe.
    Lane keep assist defaults to on. Dangerous in city traffic with pedestrians and bikes. The ID4 is always swerving TOWARD bikes in an effort to keep the car centered in the lane.
  • Sub par audio system. It is really, really inadequate and does not fit a vehicle promising up to date tech. Especially at this price point.
  • Seat/mirror memory not working based on driver's key fob
  • Many issues with voice calls via AppleCar play vs Bluetooth
  • Navigation not automatically routing drivers to Electrify America fast chargers. Navigation trying to send drivers to all manner of slow chargers. Navigation displaying gas station logos.
  • Hello ID could be a great voice assistant but it slow and like the nav just not EV savvy enough. As an example if you ask Hello ID to take you to a charging starting it will also offer you gas stations.
  • Car-Net app is a joke. It sounds harsh but compared with the Tesla app what VW are doing is laughable.
  • The transition from region braking to hydraulic brakes at slow speeds could be improved for feel and consistency.

As others have stated even with these issues my wife and I still find the ID4 an impressive EV and enjoy it overall. That said, it seems we really ID4 adopters have to make lots of excuses for bugs and systems that are not really completely ready for the typical consumer who may not be as forgiving.

There are some areas where VW could hugely improve the ownership experience too.

Driver Profiles
ID4 desperately needs DRIVER PROFILES. Either associated with the key or with a much improved app. A way to store driver preferences for seat/mirrors, radio/infotainment, connectivity/address books, drive assist settings, drive mode settings, etc. The future is now and EV owners expect this of all of their devices including their car.

A Better VW Car Net App
The Car-Net app is horrible and needs to be overhauled completely. It doesn't come close to living up to the promise of ID4 and our EV future. I hate to compare ID4 to Tesla because ID4 does not need to copy Tesla it needs to be better than Tesla, to exceed the expectations of new EV buyers and those coming from Tesla. And that includes the app.

Fast Charging
The majority of owners charge at home and wake up with a full charge everyday. However the non-EV owning public just don't understand this concept. It is completely foreign to them. What helps sell EVs now, today, is the promise of reliable fast charging. The Electrify America charging infrastructure appears to be growing at an impressive rate and should HELP VW sell ID4s in the United Stated but it seems like VW are doing everything they can to shoot themselves in the foot in this regard. Every ID4 should include EASY one-touch access to the Electrify America charging network BUILT IN to the infotainment and navigation of the car. That is not merely a suggestion, this desperately needs to happen and fast. Like Tesla and some other EVs the ID4 should be smart enough to calculate every Electrify America stop along a given route. The system should be able to approximate what level of charge the ID4 will be at when it arrives at the charger and show the driver how long they will need to charge and to what percent to make it to the next Electrify Charging station on the route. The car should also display state of charge upon reaching the final destination. VW should NOT leave this up to third party app makers. Doing so is a disservice to VW customers, VW dealers, and Electrify America charging stations. Why would VW send people outside their own ecosystem where customers can be influenced by competitors or other parties? It makes zero sense!
Very good list... I think everyone is onboard with Car-Net app is trash. Hopefully, the company will update down the road.

·
8 Posts
Here are my biggest pet peeves:
  • All of the capacitive-touch buttons drive me crazy
    • Steering wheel: I accidentally press these all the time as my fingers lightly brush against them
    • Buttons below infotainment screen: it's a double offense for these to be both capacitive-touch and not backlit. At night these buttons are difficult to use even after months of driving the car...at least the ones on the steering wheel have haptic feedback.
    • The window controls and door lock/unlock button set - not user friendly at all. On a 'normal' car, the driver can feel the difference between the lock and unlock button and press the one they need. For the ID.4, the same button locks and unlocks, so the driver has to physically look down to see whether the button backlight is on or off to know whether to press the button or not. And a button to toggle whether the window buttons control the front or back? Who thought that was a good idea?
  • I think the seat weight sensor is more annoying than convenient. I'd prefer to have an option to disable this and rely on the pushbutton on the steering column to turn the car on and off.
    • When I get into my car, the seat sensor starts to turn on the car systems. Then I re-adjust myself on the seat for a split second as I get settled and reach for the seatbelt, which turns the systems off, and then back on again.
    • Sometimes I want to get out of the car but leave the car 'running' (climate control and radio). To do this, everything shuts off first as I get out of the seat, then I have to reach over and press the 'start' button on the steering column to turn those systems back on
  • Electrical issues: I've had to take my car to the dealer 3 times since August
    • A/C stopped working after DC fast charge - Dealer 'reset something in the system'
    • Electrical system not working; please service vehicle (#1) - Dealer performed the coolant purge per the technical bulletin
    • Electrical system not working; please service vehicle (#2) - Dealer re-coded the A/C module
  • I personally think the artificial noise sounds pretty cool but I feel self-conscious that it's so loud. I'm coming from a Bolt where I could not hear the artificial noise from inside the car.
  • The volume/length of the horn sound when double-locking the car from the remote is obnoxious. I disabled this in the settings, but now to verify that the car is locked, I have to make sure the mirrors are folded in

·
11 Posts
Overall we love the car but nothing is perfect. Here's my list:

1. Carnet - too few functions and too unreliable
2. Missing backlight on infotainment
3. Too reliant on touchscreen instead of real buttons
4. Radio operation is clumsy at best
5. Too much piano black bits
I'd say this probably sums up most of it. The ID4 was clearly rolled out in a rush with some of the infotainment issues; overall it is still a great vehicle IMO, and super comfortable to ride in. I hope they get some software updates in the US the first half of the year.

·
681 Posts
I think you will continue to see a huge drop in battery capacity due to extreme cold, AWD (two motors - drain more battery)
Less range in the cold weather is expected.
AWD is only engaged when necessary by the ECU algorithm. Thus is in RWD mode by default.

·
White ProS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd say this probably sums up most of it. The ID4 was clearly rolled out in a rush with some of the infotainment issues; overall it is still a great vehicle IMO, and super comfortable to ride in. I hope they get some software updates in the US the first half of the year.
Hot off the press.. 10 hours ago. Volkswagen ID.4 Gets Updates And Upgrades For 2022 And 2023

People that waited for 2022 will be in luck (with a little price increase) - better charger rate, more range. We, early adaptors, will be lucky to get software updates for auto-hold function and Plug-&-Charge. Also, fingers crossed for an updated CarNet app.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts