Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
193 Posts
I needed to get to the dealership and asked Hello ID for “Volkswagen dealership” and it gave me a list of German restaurants in my town but no dealers. :rolleyes:
I was an early adopter of CarPlay (Apple Maps). When I would ask to navigate me to MJCC (Marcus Jewish Community Center) in the northern Atlanta suburbs, the Apple Maps invariably wanted to take me to Mecca (Saudi Arabia). It was lucky that there was an ocean in the way. Navigating a family asking for a Jewish Family Center in America to Mecca is the height of incompetence when it comes to smart navigation. It took Apple years to finally route properly to MJCC after me submitting multiple complaints to Apple.

Apple Maps is still bad at intelligently deciding what POI to navigate to when the user doesn’t provide the address. Nothing beats Google Maps in Android Auto in this respect. Even Google Maps in CarPlay is bad at figuring out the correct POI. Google Search along with Google Maps with the secret sauce of Google Assistant’s intelligence is what makes Android Auto so amazing at navigating to POIs.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,426 Posts
I think in the end, navigation will work best if it knows SOC and GOM. Maybe VW gets the kinks out, otherwise ABRP with a dongle.

I am hoping 3.0 from VW is a big improvement. But if it isn't, I still have good options.

·
29 Posts
While I agree with OP's assessment of a lot of the ID.4 nits, they do generally remain nits for me that don't tip the ownership experience into negative territory. I do wish that the native navigation showed me charging locations instead of filling stations.

·
2021 Mythos Black ProS RWD
10 Posts
I was an early adopter of CarPlay (Apple Maps). When I would ask to navigate me to MJCC (Marcus Jewish Community Center) in the northern Atlanta suburbs, the Apple Maps invariably wanted to take me to Mecca (Saudi Arabia). It was lucky that there was an ocean in the way. Navigating a family asking for a Jewish Family Center in America to Mecca is the height of incompetence when it comes to smart navigation. It took Apple years to finally route properly to MJCC after me submitting multiple complaints to Apple.

Apple Maps is still bad at intelligently deciding what POI to navigate to when the user doesn’t provide the address. Nothing beats Google Maps in Android Auto in this respect. Even Google Maps in CarPlay is bad at figuring out the correct POI. Google Search along with Google Maps with the secret sauce of Google Assistant’s intelligence is what makes Android Auto so amazing at navigating to POIs.
Good grief. The programmer part of my brain wants to know how the algorithm works through a request like that and comes up with MJCC=Mecca or VW=German restaurant. I feel like there’s an interesting machine learning article to be written about it

·
White ProS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
While I agree with OP's assessment of a lot of the ID.4 nits, they do generally remain nits for me that don't tip the ownership experience into negative territory. I do wish that the native navigation showed me charging locations instead of filling stations.
Just a hunch... I highly doubt that VW care enough to partner with good map vendors like Google Map + MapBox to provide us with modern-looking native navigation. Maybe down the road but we, first adaptors, will for sure not be part of it.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts
I have to agree with you on the charge port door. I’m still getting used to the fact that to get it to close you have to physically push it until it latches. My previous car, would spring shut with a light push. Going to take a while to train my brain.

A minor nit-pick is I wish the steering wheel display had the option to put something on the right of the screen when navigation was not being used. I rarely use navigation (either the ID4’s or my phone’s) it would be nice to have the option for something in that space so that the screen was more balanced.

That said, I still feel this is the most fun to drive, enjoyable car I’ve owned.
My ford had springs. But sonata hybrid need a push to physically lock the gas door.

Reactions: NCID4

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts
Hot off the press.. 10 hours ago. Volkswagen ID.4 Gets Updates And Upgrades For 2022 And 2023

People that waited for 2022 will be in luck (with a little price increase) - better charger rate, more range. We, early adaptors, will be lucky to get software updates for auto-hold function and Plug-&-Charge. Also, fingers crossed for an updated CarNet app.
Saw that and am interested in the "American Style center console". Does it mean a fixed armrest with storage?

·
6 Posts
All right, guys,

I hope this list will help inform potential ID.4 Pro S buyers when they compare with other EV cars on the market. To be upfront, I am a little regretful buying the Pro S (I should have gone with the Pro model). This list is not to bash the car but is a list of improvements for VW to consider. Some feedbacks have already been posted by other users. More are always welcome. Here we go:

1. Camera! A modern EV car having a single camera (reverse camera) is laughable. There are only two views, one with guidelines, but the aspect ratio is messed up, and the other is a simple fisheye view; for what purpose, I do not know. Reverse at night is literally a night..mare (pun intended). Bad design leads to a poorly lit area behind the car.

2. The infotainment system is sluggish. UI/UX is ugly. They tried too hard with color scheme and animation that eats up the processing power. Instead, they should stick with a simple monotone icon. Compared to other EVs screens, this feels like from the early 2000s design that they kept in the file cabinet. The infotainment system and haptic feedback control bar froze on me a couple of times already.

3. The haptic feedback control bar under the screen is not backlit. A night drive, not so visible (Honestly, I believed VW forgot this in their design)

3a. Slow voice response - Does anyone here actually use this feature and have a slow voice response?

4. Homelink power dies once you are parked and let go of the brake even though power is still on and available.

5. Climate control is unusable for like 10-15 sec when you sit down and are ready to go.

6. CarNet app will not turn on climate if you had turned climate control off in the car. Also, give us more mobile functions. Like seats heat, mirror defrost, lock/unlock, trunk, windows,

7. Can not lock air recirculation button. It will reset every time you step out.. crazy! Let say I lived in a industrial town where smell is a problem

8. Lane Keep Assist will default back ON every time you get in the vehicle. We need to provide a "lock/hold" option for this feature.

9. Charge port will not give a warning if it is open and you engaged drive. (Broken my charge port the third day of ownership.....had to order the part from Germany and fix it myself)

10. VW did not utilize all the space for the middle console since the floor is flat (so much wasted space). People are selling 3D printed storage online.

11. Middle console design is terrible. They put two type-C plugs inside the middle console, which is already a tiny space (scratching my head).

12. Coins! We still use coins as currency in the US. No small compartment to hold them.

13. When backing up, I check left and right visually because the single rear camera does not capture the whole surrounding. The car will slam hard on the brake when you twist and lift your body to check traffic. (will scare the crap out of you - you are warned)

14. Navigation map (why bother). Most businesses displayed on the map are either not there or out of business which means this navigation data is ancient.

15. Plugs..... Yeah, ONLY four in the whole car and they are all USB-c plugs. That is it.

16. Massage front seats - gimmick feature (I fell for this). How often do you use the massage tech on the car asking the Pro S buyer? Maybe put resources toward sensors/cameras.

17. Software updates will NOT be like an industry leader like Telsa even though they promised 12 weeks timeframe....Where is my OTA?

In conclusion, I wish the extra cash I spent for Pro S had gone to more sensors, more cameras, more robust software, more range..... instead, I got the same sensors, same camera,same software, same range as a Pro model except a lot of gimmicks such as useless light bar, glow emblem, LED DRL, massage seats, and glass roof. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ (smack my forehead).

Please let me know your thoughts if you agree or disagree with my list or have more stuff added to the list.

PS... While regretful, I still love the car very much compare to all previous ICE cars.
I totally agree with all your points , except 12.
The fact that the backup camera is unusable it’s a big safety issue. It blows my mind that we don’t have plug and charge, when every other car brand has it with Electrify America.
And yes, Car Net is a joke.
Massage feature - I use it all the time - I commute 100 miles a day
Overall , the car is a pleasure to drive.

·
27 Posts
Overall , the car is a pleasure to drive.
That's the kicker, right? The car is foundational good. Just think how great it could be if they could solve even 2/3 of the major issues we early adopters are facing. It's like going to a steakhouse where the service is slow, the waiter gets your order wrong and spills hot coffee on you, they bring you the wrong desert and at the end of the night overcharge you... but the steaks are good. Is that enough to keep you coming back? It could be SO MUCH BETTER if they just paid attention to the details.

·
Waiting for a RWD Blue ProS w/ Light interior. Ordered Sept 4, 2021.
236 Posts
Nothing beats Google Maps
Just wondering if anyone has been toying with HERE WeGo Maps. I am always looking for non-FB, non-G solutions. I just drove between SoCal to Colorado and back, and HERE was slightly better at several issues.

·
31 Posts
So love the car but here are some of our painpoints......

1. The random no driver detected with the epic car starts to break automatically.
2. The lane keep assist especially in snow overreacting to lines even when we constantly disable.
3. The range drop that is over 50% from anything above 70 degrees to lower 30 degrees. It almost seems like the battery needs to heat itself even if left plugged in overnight.

No regrets but still learning. Hoping software updates fix most.

·
White ProS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
2. The lane keep assist especially in snow overreacting to lines even when we constantly disable.
Lane Keep Assist drives me crazy (my item no.8 on the list). VW should provide an option to lock/hold my selection until either I unlock it or activate the Travel Assist. I always to have manually go inside the Assist Screen to deactivate the Lane Keep Assist. It is becoming a second habit....not really!

·
White ProS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
OK, enough whining and please concentrate on the positives now!
lol... Many of us are ID.4 adaptors. There is plenty of positive feedback throughout the forum already. Also, the title of this discussion is "List of complaints". Please do not discourse people with "enough whining" from sharing their ideas for improvement. Thank you and appreciate your participation!!

·
11 Posts
That's the kicker, right? The car is foundational good. Just think how great it could be if they could solve even 2/3 of the major issues we early adopters are facing.
This right here. If you think about the foundational car (the driving, suspension, steering, acceleration), the car really is top notch. Everything that people are listing are really nit picks/quirks/subjective opinions. If VW hit 2 or 3 of the big ones (infotainment being the main one IMO), that is probably the biggest complaint you see from EV purist reviewers.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts