Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Gray
41 Posts
Lot of the complaints are spot on, but do like the car as others have said.

Agree that the cockpit display should be able to display other stuff when not using navigation--seems like a waste.
Non-backlit temp and sound bar is baffling
Car-Net has never once worked for us--although Car-Net tech support said there is supposed to be a major update of the system sometime this month (we shall she but that's what they told me in December).
Ability to have radio go off when stop the car, or the instant the door opens--if I'm playing music loud and open the door, don't need to disturb my neighbors late at night just because it takes me a minute to get out of the car.
My wife complains that when she's on the phone and the call ends, there is no simple way to disconect

·
193 Posts
So, since the car is solid, but a lot of infotainment, software, and capacitive touch have issues, would it not be a better idea to get an e-tron Q4? Anyone have any experience with those?

·
15 Posts
All right, guys,

I hope this list will help inform potential ID.4 Pro S buyers when they compare with other EV cars on the market. To be upfront, I am a little regretful buying the Pro S (I should have gone with the Pro model). This list is not to bash the car but is a list of improvements for VW to consider. Some feedbacks have already been posted by other users. More are always welcome. Here we go:

1. Camera! A modern EV car having a single camera (reverse camera) is laughable. There are only two views, one with guidelines, but the aspect ratio is messed up, and the other is a simple fisheye view; for what purpose, I do not know. Reverse at night is literally a night..mare (pun intended). Bad design leads to a poorly lit area behind the car.

13. When backing up, I check left and right visually because the single rear camera does not capture the whole surrounding. The car will slam hard on the brake when you twist and lift your body to check traffic. (will scare the crap out of you - you are warned)
Please review selected area as you answered your own question.

·
39 Posts
All right, guys,

I hope this list will help inform potential ID.4 Pro S buyers when they compare with other EV cars on the market. To be upfront, I am a little regretful buying the Pro S (I should have gone with the Pro model). This list is not to bash the car but is a list of improvements for VW to consider. Some feedbacks have already been posted by other users. More are always welcome. Here we go:

1. Camera! A modern EV car having a single camera (reverse camera) is laughable. There are only two views, one with guidelines, but the aspect ratio is messed up, and the other is a simple fisheye view; for what purpose, I do not know. Reverse at night is literally a night..mare (pun intended). Bad design leads to a poorly lit area behind the car.

2. The infotainment system is sluggish. UI/UX is ugly. They tried too hard with color scheme and animation that eats up the processing power. Instead, they should stick with a simple monotone icon. Compared to other EVs screens, this feels like from the early 2000s design that they kept in the file cabinet. The infotainment system and haptic feedback control bar froze on me a couple of times already.

3. The haptic feedback control bar under the screen is not backlit. A night drive, not so visible (Honestly, I believed VW forgot this in their design)

3a. Slow voice response - Does anyone here actually use this feature and have a slow voice response?

4. Homelink power dies once you are parked and let go of the brake even though power is still on and available.

5. Climate control is unusable for like 10-15 sec when you sit down and are ready to go.

6. CarNet app will not turn on climate if you had turned climate control off in the car. Also, give us more mobile functions. Like seats heat, mirror defrost, lock/unlock, trunk, windows,

7. Can not lock air recirculation button. It will reset every time you step out.. crazy! Let say I lived in a industrial town where smell is a problem

8. Lane Keep Assist will default back ON every time you get in the vehicle. We need to provide a "lock/hold" option for this feature.

9. Charge port will not give a warning if it is open and you engaged drive. (Broken my charge port the third day of ownership.....had to order the part from Germany and fix it myself)

10. VW did not utilize all the space for the middle console since the floor is flat (so much wasted space). People are selling 3D printed storage online.

11. Middle console design is terrible. They put two type-C plugs inside the middle console, which is already a tiny space (scratching my head).

12. Coins! We still use coins as currency in the US. No small compartment to hold them.

13. When backing up, I check left and right visually because the single rear camera does not capture the whole surrounding. The car will slam hard on the brake when you twist and lift your body to check traffic. (will scare the crap out of you - you are warned)

14. Navigation map (why bother). Most businesses displayed on the map are either not there or out of business which means this navigation data is ancient.

15. Plugs..... Yeah, ONLY four in the whole car and they are all USB-c plugs. That is it.

16. Massage front seats - gimmick feature (I fell for this). How often do you use the massage tech on the car asking the Pro S buyer? Maybe put resources toward sensors/cameras.

17. Software updates will NOT be like an industry leader like Telsa even though they promised 12 weeks timeframe....Where is my OTA?

In conclusion, I wish the extra cash I spent for Pro S had gone to more sensors, more cameras, more robust software, more range..... instead, I got the same sensors, same camera,same software, same range as a Pro model except a lot of gimmicks such as useless light bar, glow emblem, LED DRL, massage seats, and glass roof. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ (smack my forehead).

Please let me know your thoughts if you agree or disagree with my list or have more stuff added to the list.

PS... While regretful, I still love the car very much compare to all previous ICE cars.
Absolutely agree with this but hey ready for the blowback. This is a very honest review. This car is not what it should be for the price and does lack enough cameras to do the job. Many of the sorter features were not included and VW will not explain why the OTA updates are not even possible on most of the id4s at this time.

·
208 Posts
All right, guys,

2. The infotainment system is sluggish. UI/UX is ugly. They tried too hard with color scheme and animation that eats up the processing power. Instead, they should stick with a simple monotone icon. Compared to other EVs screens, this feels like from the early 2000s design that they kept in the file cabinet. The infotainment system and haptic feedback control bar froze on me a couple of times already.

3. The haptic feedback control bar under the screen is not backlit. A night drive, not so visible (Honestly, I believed VW forgot this in their design)

3a. Slow voice response - Does anyone here actually use this feature and have a slow voice response?

4. Homelink power dies once you are parked and let go of the brake even though power is still on and available.

5. Climate control is unusable for like 10-15 sec when you sit down and are ready to go.

6. CarNet app will not turn on climate if you had turned climate control off in the car. Also, give us more mobile functions. Like seats heat, mirror defrost, lock/unlock, trunk, windows,

7. Can not lock air recirculation button. It will reset every time you step out.. crazy! Let say I lived in a industrial town where smell is a problem

8. Lane Keep Assist will default back ON every time you get in the vehicle. We need to provide a "lock/hold" option for this feature.

9. Charge port will not give a warning if it is open and you engaged drive. (Broken my charge port the third day of ownership.....had to order the part from Germany and fix it myself)

10. VW did not utilize all the space for the middle console since the floor is flat (so much wasted space). People are selling 3D printed storage online.

11. Middle console design is terrible. They put two type-C plugs inside the middle console, which is already a tiny space (scratching my head).

12. Coins! We still use coins as currency in the US. No small compartment to hold them.

14. Navigation map (why bother). Most businesses displayed on the map are either not there or out of business which means this navigation data is ancient.

15. Plugs..... Yeah, ONLY four in the whole car and they are all USB-c plugs. That is it.

16. Massage front seats - gimmick feature (I fell for this). How often do you use the massage tech on the car asking the Pro S buyer? Maybe put resources toward sensors/cameras.

17. Software updates will NOT be like an industry leader like Telsa even though they promised 12 weeks timeframe....Where is my OTA?

In conclusion, I wish the extra cash I spent for Pro S had gone to more sensors, more cameras, more robust software, more range..... instead, I got the same sensors, same camera,same software, same range as a Pro model except a lot of gimmicks such as useless light bar, glow emblem, LED DRL, massage seats, and glass roof. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ (smack my forehead).

Please let me know your thoughts if you agree or disagree with my list or have more stuff added to the list.

PS... While regretful, I still love the car very much compare to all previous ICE cars.
i agree with almost everything but love the massage seats. also the Pro S has nicer interior but overall i agree for 50k things could be better. and for eskimo country it could be very important to have the seat heating always on main screen - haha. initially i also thought the steering wheel heating is a gimmick and now i like it when it is cold

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,918 Posts
My list of complaints at 10 months .....

Hmmmm .....

Honestly I can't think of anything. Is it perfect for me? Of course not. But again there's nothing that jumps out at me as a true complaint. Just some personal preference things that some might also appreciate and others might not, so not worth mentioning.

Back to being content. ;) Well, except for Car-Net, but that's a whole nuther kettle of fish.

·
2 Posts
After 1 month, there are several things that drive me crazy:
1) like others, not being able to turn off Lane Assist
2) You can customize tiles, but within the tiles, you can’t display the view you want. The climate control widget always shows the heated seats as the default view, who cares?
3) locked charging cable… my husband and I share a cable, so he has to unlock the charger to swap the charger over to his car
4) Long horizontal list of radio presets, instead of having them stacked, or grouped by Preset List 1 2 or 3. When you are frequently in 2 different places, its nice to toggle between preset lists.
5) Why doesn’t the phone in bluetooth mode notify me of a text and give me the option of hearing (not reading)it? Especially if I can’t view the message function when the car is moving.
6) worst navigation system ever. Wanted to take me 11 miles out of the way on a 10 mile trip.
7) and don’t get me started on the manual, I don’t understand half of what it says and I seem to be spending a lot of time reading it.

Car rides well, looks nice, has comfortable climate system, but I’m not in love. Miss my Ford Hybrid which had a much cleaner touch interface.

·
27 Posts
7) and don’t get me started on the manual, I don’t understand half of what it says and I seem to be spending a lot of time reading it.
I have a laugh about the number of functions NOT described in the manual other than lines like, "To perform function X use the infotainment screen". So very helpful!

·
193 Posts
A good car requires no manual except maybe how to change a tire. There should be a small pamphlet explaining the best practices in charging the EV, and that’s about it.

·
2 Posts
A good car requires no manual except maybe how to change a tire. There should be a small pamphlet explaining the best practices in charging the EV, and that’s about it.
I’d like to see some kind of feedback on best EV driving habits. My hybrid gave feedback on accelerating, braking and coasting so you could drive most efficiently. But even the description of D vs B is unclear as to which is more efficient.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts
All right, guys,

I agree with many points of what you said, and it's why we decided to order a Pro AWD instead because we cannot justify the 7k extra is worth it for top trim.

1. totally agree. And if you see that radar view on the right, it's actually prepared for a 360 camera, which was offered in Europe. Ours is just a black blank even on the top trim. that fisheye is supposed to give you a wider view to see cross-traffic if you are backing out of a parking lot with tall SUVs or trucks parking next to you. For the dark issue, I see there are some camera shield for sale should help with that.
2. I heard you can remove the map from the small tile view which would solve the sluggish issue. Haven't received ours cannot confirm.
3. they should at least lit up the blue and red under the touch bar. I know there are IR sensors under the actual slider (if you take a phone or camera and you would see them lit up) so it might prevent them to add a light. But the Blue and red marker under it should be able to add a light.
4. It's actually preferred feature because if you park in the drive way, thief cannot open your garage if they broke into your car.
5. that's new to hear. interesting.
6. definitely needs improvement based on what I heard.
7. many cars does that. even my wife's 13 escape does that.
8. I actually had a hard time trying to activate that (travel assist) on my test drive, lol.
9. You mean you had it plugged in and drive away? that's a useful feature, but it's still mostly users' fault.
10. They only try to make it looks big IMHO. plus the 2023 made in TN will have a "US style center console" that I'm interested (maybe disappointed) to see. Because this is a German car and EV, i'm willing to accept new but maybe useless thing, such as the window button.
13. Did you have your seatbelt unbuckled? try to buckle your seat belt and do it again. I heard that will fix it. Its a feature to prevent the car runaway if you are in D or R and you left the car.
16. Actually one of the most feature I miss on the Pro, other than the power tailgate. I'd probably use it all the time. I know its just stronger lumbar support adjustment. Actually I have used the lumbar adjustment (manually) to work as the same to relief on long trips.
17. like points 2 and 6, VW is a car company not IT company. I'd rather have a well made car other than a fast iPad that has shit build quality.

Your conclusion is actually why I think the Pro is extra value, all the safety and most the control are all the same, even heated seats (cloth seat got heat too) and steering wheel, minus the large greenhouse glass top and fake leather with no ventilation, nightmare combination for us in the south.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts
After 1 month, there are several things that drive me crazy:
1) like others, not being able to turn off Lane Assist
2) You can customize tiles, but within the tiles, you can’t display the view you want. The climate control widget always shows the heated seats as the default view, who cares?
3) locked charging cable… my husband and I share a cable, so he has to unlock the charger to swap the charger over to his car
4) Long horizontal list of radio presets, instead of having them stacked, or grouped by Preset List 1 2 or 3. When you are frequently in 2 different places, its nice to toggle between preset lists.
5) Why doesn’t the phone in bluetooth mode notify me of a text and give me the option of hearing (not reading)it? Especially if I can’t view the message function when the car is moving.
6) worst navigation system ever. Wanted to take me 11 miles out of the way on a 10 mile trip.

Car rides well, looks nice, has comfortable climate system, but I’m not in love. Miss my Ford Hybrid which had a much cleaner touch interface.
3. might be useful if you charge in public stations.
4. I use Spotify...
5. it's probably your phone not the car? I think my android auto can read (at least on my current car with wired AA, not sure if VW don't have it on the wireless one?)
6. I don't use any built in nav on any of my vehicles for almost 10 years. Always Waze and Google. I might try this one since it works with the ID light to swipe left or right. If that light can work with Waze or Google map would be even better.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts
I’d like to see some kind of feedback on best EV driving habits. My hybrid gave feedback on accelerating, braking and coasting so you could drive most efficiently. But even the description of D vs B is unclear as to which is more efficient.
I don't need them but fun to watch. My sonata hybrid also has them. But I'd drive the way as I always do to prevent some "good" driving habits (judged by the car) that lead to other people honking or overtaking me.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts