Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting our FE tomorrow and I have to set up an L2 charger. I will get a plug-in and install the outlet myself. What do you think about your charger? Do I really need a smart one like Juice Box or can I get away with a basic one? Is WIFi worth it or will I get the same info from the car app? This is our first BEV so I am totally clueless and any advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Waiting for ID.4 Pro S
39 Posts
We are getting our FE tomorrow and I have to set up an L2 charger. I will get a plug-in and install the outlet myself. What do you think about your charger? Do I really need a smart one like Juice Box or can I get away with a basic one? Is WIFi worth it or will I get the same info from the car app? This is our first BEV so I am totally clueless and any advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated.
I am using Chargepoint, it is one on a list that I get a rebate on from the Maryland power company. I get a reduced rate on its power since only will charge during nonpeak times.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,549 Posts

·
55 Posts
I got a Chargepoint as it was highly rated and from my understanding I'll get a 30% tax refund for install (up to $1000).

·
17 Posts
I got a Chargepoint as it was highly rated and from my understanding I'll get a 30% tax refund for install (up to $1000).
I read that the Federal rebate for the Level 2 charger was going to expire at the end of 2020, so I had it installed December 30th, and did receive a $600 (30%) credit on my Federal taxes. Of course I won't have anything to plug into it until my AWD shows up 6 months from now! Also, my state (NJ) has not yet set up a rebate program for chargers, so I have to hope it might be retroactive if they ever do. Hope the info helps...

·
16 Posts
I read that the Federal rebate for the Level 2 charger was going to expire at the end of 2020, so I had it installed December 30th, and did receive a $600 (30%) credit on my Federal taxes. Of course I won't have anything to plug into it until my AWD shows up 6 months from now! Also, my state (NJ) has not yet set up a rebate program for chargers, so I have to hope it might be retroactive if they ever do. Hope the info helps...
I believe the Federal tax rebate was extended to Dec, 31, 2021.

·
Super Moderator
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After doing some research I found out that PSEG has a $500 rebate here on Long Island for either ChargePoint Home Flex (Final cost $227) or JuiceBox 40 EV (Final cost $177). After reading the reviews, I ordered the JuiceBox. I had to pay tax but free shipping. Oh, and I get a $50 gift card for signing up for their "Smart Charge Rewards Program". That give me some money back when I charge. (I forget how much). I knew about the $7500 tax credit when I purchased but I didn't know about the NYS $2000 rebate or the $500 PSEG charger rebate. This deal is getting better every day. I half expect to find out tomorrow that I can get lunch somewhere for a buck and a half if I pull up in an electric car!! That will work out well because I'm picking it up just before noon. I'll let you know......Thanks everyone for the replies!!

·
35 Posts
I have a ChargePoint 32amp it’s the predecessor to their Flex unit. Works great, and I like the app. My Maryland utility provider had a rebate and the charger was on sale.

·
2021 Pro-S
73 Posts
The 30% tax credit on ev chargers and installation is extended the through 2021, and maybe longer if a big infrastructure/energy bill gets throw gh Congress.

·
ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Grey
162 Posts
I have a Juice Box 40. Installation and software app are simple. Duke Energy has $500 rebate on top of 30% federal credit in South Carolina (limited number of applications)

·
1st Edition in Glacier White/1969 Beetle in Safari Beige/2012 JSW D
6 Posts
I hardwired a ChargePoint Flex on 50 AMPs. It runs about 38MPH. It has a good app and lets you know when the charge drops to indicate completion. The $1000 federal rebate will cover the unit, conduit, wire, and building permit easily. It does seem to max out on 6 Ga for the wire ports. Super simple 3-wire installation.

·
PRO-S Gradient in Dusk Blue Metallic with Black interior/Tan inserts
97 Posts
I have a Grizzl-e by Universal Chargers. Works great. Folks used to build the JuiceBox before the Hedgies bought JuiceBox and shipped the mfg to China and raised prices. Grizzl-e is one of the few that is in-stock. I have the EVSE version for whenever my utility gets around to it. Just about any will do. Amazon lists boxes at 2X the price due to shortages. Don't go there.

·
46 Posts
ChargePoint + Home Flex It qualifies for the Pepco $300 rebate In MD. Paid $699 for it from Amazon. However, I don’t see it for that price anymore. In my opinion, the prices seem to go up as soon as there’s a rebate or incentive to the end user. That incentive gets stripped out up front. Also, it seems demand for chargers has gone off the chart as more people buy EV cars and want to charge at home.

·
210 Posts
Juice box is one of the only available chargers right now. I will probably get the charge point flex but it is at least a month out on back order. I do want to see some reviews on the EA home when it comes out.

·
46 Posts
Juice box is one of the only available chargers right now. I will probably get the charge point flex but it is at least a month out on back order. I do want to see some reviews on the EA home when it comes out.
I would have gone with EA home if it was available -I guess just to stay consistent with my on the road charging using EA. I hate the fragmentation of apps for charging. Wish all the charging companies would be on one app. Like Touch your phone to the reader and charge!

·
210 Posts
I have a feeling which charger I end up with will come down to what is available when I am ready to get one. The Juice Box 40 was only available for a day and now is sold out again. I have been looking at reviews a lot lately and a few get some important points very wrong. I would suggest watching Tom Moloughney on YouTube if you want a real review. Has done videos on most chargers and is really thorough. I've seen some reviews talk about the Charge Point Flex having an advantage over the Juice Box because it can run up to 50 amps. They don't mention that a 50 amp unit cannot run off a nema 14-50 as it requires an 70 amp breaker and hardwired in. Any appliance is only allowed to pull up to 80% of the rated amps of the breaker/wiring/outlet so that is why most home chargers are 40 amp. A 50 amp circuit (which usually has the nema 14-50 outlet) can handle 40 amps, a 48 amp unit requires a 60 amp and a 50 amp needs an 70 amp circuit. Another consideration is if your panel has enough load left for a large breaker.

I believe most if not all EV currently only take a 48 amp EVSE but in the future that will probably go up. If you are mounting the EVSE more than a few feet from your breaker panel the cost of the wire gets very expensive very quickly. As you go up in breaker size you need thinker wire and it will cost more. I will most likely buy a 40 amp unit or the Charge Point Flex that can run at 40 amps and wire in a 50 amp circuit or at max a 60 amp circuit and run a 48 amp unit.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,549 Posts
My ChargePoint Flex, plug-in to 6-50 socket flowing 40A off a 50A breaker, has worked flawlessly for me thus far. I ultimately opted for plug-in, sacrificing an add'l 8A of flow, just to make unit swap out easier if necessary at some point. Although the ChargePoint is well regarded for reliability and longevity.
I'm sure the Juicebox and others are comparable.
Tom Moloughney on YouTube does indeed do an excellent evaluation of many brands. Note: this "deep dive" is slow paced by Tom's admission for new users, so skip ahead to the actual unit eval's.

·
46 Posts
I have a feeling which charger I end up with will come down to what is available when I am ready to get one. The Juice Box 40 was only available for a day and now is sold out again. I have been looking at reviews a lot lately and a few get some important points very wrong. I would suggest watching Tom Moloughney on YouTube if you want a real review. Has done videos on most chargers and is really thorough. I've seen some reviews talk about the Charge Point Flex having an advantage over the Juice Box because it can run up to 50 amps. They don't mention that a 50 amp unit cannot run off a nema 14-50 as it requires an 80 amp breaker and hardwired in. Any appliance is only allowed to pull up to 80% of the rated amps of the breaker/wiring/outlet so that is why most home chargers are 40 amp. A 50 amp circuit (which usually has the nema 14-50 outlet) can handle 40 amps, a 48 amp unit requires a 60 amp and a 50 amp needs an 80 amp circuit. Another consideration is if your panel has enough load left for a large breaker.

I believe most if not all EV currently only take a 48 amp EVSE but in the future that will probably go up. If you are mounting the EVSE more than a few feet from your breaker panel the cost of the wire gets very expensive very quickly. As you go up in breaker size you need thinker wire and it will cost more. I will most likely buy a 40 amp unit or the Charge Point Flex that can run at 40 amps and wire in a 50 amp circuit or at max a 60 amp circuit and run a 48 amp unit.
Skirmish, All good info on the wiring. The electrician I hired to do the install next Saturday suggested using oversized aluminum wire, 4-3 which has an approved rating to 75 Amps. His reason was to keep cost down as copper wire (6-3) is wildly expensive. The straight run is just short of 50’ from service box to charger. He said two 30 amp breakers will give me full charging capability for the ChargePoint charger. My request was to future proof the install so if future EV’s allow higher charging rates the wire is already in place. (I don’t see me going back to an ICE car, ever)
I‘m old enough to remember when Aluminum wire was banned from residential construction as a fire hazard. But, a Google search today shows it’s back after wire manufacturers changed the aluminum alloy and required over-sizing the gauge. The “Pros and Cons” for aluminum wire today never mention safety Issues.
Still, I’m not wild about using aluminum wire, but the electrician is licensed and comes highly recommended. It’s his license on the line.

·
378 Posts
@Skirmish Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but just trying to note a calculation error. For 50 amp charging you would need a 70 amp breaker, not an 80 amp breaker.

@GrayEagle61 If your electrician said a 30 amp breaker was needed, then he made a mistake. You would need a double pole 60 amp breaker to reach the max charge rate of the car (@ 48 amps) or you would need a 70 amp breaker to reach the max charge rate of the ChargePoint Home Flex EVSE (@ 50 amps) for another vehicle that can charge faster.

Again, not trying to do anything but provide some help.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts