Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
46 Posts
@Skirmish Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but just trying to note a calculation error. For 50 amp charging you would need a 70 amp breaker, not a 80 amp breaker.

@GrayEagle61 If your electrician said a 30 amp breaker was needed, then he made a mistake. You would need a double pole 60 amp breaker to reach the max charge rate of the car (@ 48 amps) or you would need a 70 amp breaker to reach the max charge rate of the ChargePoint Home Flex EVSE for another vehicle that can charge faster.

Again, not trying to do anything but provide some help.
No problem, we can use the help. I’m not an electrician but trying to recall the quick conversation I had with him when he did the estimate for the job. He knows I want to take advantage of the full ChargePoint capability so ill see what he puts in next Saturday.

·
2021 Moonstone Grey ID.4
85 Posts
@GrayEagle61 If your electrician said a 30 amp breaker was needed, then he made a mistake. You would need a double pole 60 amp breaker to reach the max charge rate of the car (@ 48 amps) or you would need a 70 amp breaker to reach the max charge rate of the ChargePoint Home Flex EVSE for another vehicle that can charge faster.
He did say TWO 30 amp breakers, does that "fix" it? I'm in the same boat (getting this done & trying to learn electricity at the same time). ;)

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,547 Posts
I have paired 25A breakers for my A/C Compressor (typical) and paired 30A for my Dryer (again typical).

I now have paired 50A breakers for my ChargePoint Flex which is ultimately 6-50 socketed for 40A flow.

I would need paired 60A breakers if I were to hard wire for its max 48A flow. (Note: I had heavier gauge 4AWG wiring roughed-in, as initially planning hard wired; 6AWG for a socketed 6-50/14-50 application)

You can of course set the ChargePoint, and others, for lesser flow if you need to go with lesser capacity breakers given a lower capacity main/sub panel/wiring.

40A socketed seems the sweet spot to me if your home can accommodate. I ultimately went socketed as although the ChargePoint unit is well regarded for quality construction it seems everything fails earlier then expected these days and it's simply easier to swap out a socketed EVSE.

Aluminum heavier gauge wire is probably fine (I'm not up on latest NEC) and undoubtedly less expensive than copper, but as I too remember the issues others had with aluminum home wiring back in the day I would opt to spend more and get copper. But that's just me. 🤷‍♂️

·
378 Posts
He did say TWO 30 amp breakers, does that "fix" it? I'm in the same boat (getting this done & trying to learn electricity at the same time).
Hi Dave. I'm no electrician either so most of us have learned the same way. @Huey52's summary is great for the different options. To answer your question directly, no..you would need 2x 60 amp breakers, not 30 amps, since each powered line needs to be able to handle 60 amps for maxing out the capability of the Chargepoint. As @Skirmish mentioned there is a rule that for a continuous load (like with charging) the circuit needs to be rated 1.25x the actual charging rate...to deal with heat concerns. So since the ID.4 can be charged at 48 amps to hit it's max charge rate (at 220-240 volts) you would need a circuit rated to 60 amps (48 amps * 1.25). This would need to be a hardwired connection since 6-50 socket or 14-50 plug is only rated to 40 amps.

·
124 Posts
I have temporarily set up max 24A charging using my existing dryer outlet (30A breaker) and an auto switch which switches off the EV outlet whenever the dryer is in use. Works fine so far. When the dryer stops the car keeps right on charging. Both the switch and EVSE are from SplitVolt. This is mainly because my panel is full, no room for a new 220 breaker. Once I upgrade the panel as part of a PV solar system project I'll get something else, not sure what yet.

·
210 Posts
@Skirmish Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but just trying to note a calculation error. For 50 amp charging you would need a 70 amp breaker, not an 80 amp breaker.

Again, not trying to do anything but provide some help.
I updated my numbers, thanks for the correction.

·
210 Posts
I’ve been looking at the United Chargers Alpha and I’m intrigued but confused. It is basically a smart version of the Grizzl-E (a highly rated bullet proof “dumb” charger) with a touchscreen. The preorder price of $599 is below most smart chargers and it will have more features than anything out that I’ve seen. I wonder if any of those features will be useful.

It has internal dipswitches to limit the amp draw but also has an option to limit on screen. This would have a couple of uses as I see it. I might be a little better on battery wear to slow charge so if you have the time this might be useful with an easy option to bump the speed back up if needed. If you want to pull solar power only you could limit to what your solar is outputting.

You can press charge now to override scheduled charging. I don’t see myself using this but some might if they pay a flat power rate or just need the car earlier.

It has an option for multiple users with a pin code which would be great if in a multi home or an airBnB situation. Even just to secure it outside. None of these are useful for my situation but for others it might be perfect.

Most of the rest of the features haven’t been announced or implemented yet so we will have to wait to see but it has a security camera, HD sound and the interface is app based with OTA and promised future 3rd party apps. I just can’t figure out what I would need other than the scheduler but maybe in the future I will want a charger that can put a mustache on the face of whomever is standing in my garage? I’m only interested as the price is less than most less smart units and the potential is more than I can imagine.

·
181 Posts
We are getting our FE tomorrow and I have to set up an L2 charger. I will get a plug-in and install the outlet myself. What do you think about your charger? Do I really need a smart one like Juice Box or can I get away with a basic one? Is WIFi worth it or will I get the same info from the car app? This is our first BEV so I am totally clueless and any advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Juicebox 40 works great no issues, charges from 20% to 80 in 4.5 hours.

·
378 Posts
I’ve been looking at the United Chargers Alpha and I’m intrigued but confused. It is basically a smart version of the Grizzl-E (a highly rated bullet proof “dumb” charger) with a touchscreen. The preorder price of $599 is below most smart chargers and it will have more features than anything out that I’ve seen. I wonder if any of those features will be useful.
That's interesting. I hadn't heard of that one before and I just noticed Tom Moloughney had already reviewed a beta unit back in January, although you probably already have seen it. You're right about price being very reasonable.

·
210 Posts
That's interesting. I hadn't heard of that one before although I just noticed Tom Moloughney had already reviewed a beta unit back in January.

It’s actually one of my concerns that he hasn’t done an update and any info since is very limited. Their blog updates are mostly beta announcements and production delays. I don’t need a charger yet, I just use EA but I’m a total tech nerd so just the touchscreen would make me a little giddy.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
701 Posts
Interesting unit, thanks for bringing it up. Given that Grizzl-E is bulletproof I am willing to lend this some credence. If I need to upgrade from my Mustart TravelMate the Alpha will be on the shortlist.

·
210 Posts
Interesting unit, thanks for bringing it up. Given that Grizzl-E is bulletproof I am willing to lend this some credence. If I need to upgrade from my Mustart TravelMate the Alpha will be on the shortlist.
Yeah, if they didn’t have the GrizzlE I wouldn’t give this a second look till it was out but I have some trust for the company.

·
210 Posts
United Chargers created a blog post for the Alpha on the 27th stating that due to a global parts shortage they are three weeks from beginning deliveries as some parts are in transit. I’m glad they are updating, three weeks doesn’t seem that bad.

·
28 Posts
I would have gone with EA home if it was available -I guess just to stay consistent with my on the road charging using EA. I hate the fragmentation of apps for charging. Wish all the charging companies would be on one app. Like Touch your phone to the reader and charge!
EA Home struck me as the best choice to at least focus the hassle on one VW-partnered company.
I'll keep looking for the Chargepoint Home Flex, though, for its full use of the ID4's 11.5kwh capability. We already have Chargepoint account and cards in addition to blink since 2012. On their website it shows the backorder and it looks like it won't process an order for now.

·
87 Posts
We are getting our FE tomorrow and I have to set up an L2 charger. I will get a plug-in and install the outlet myself. What do you think about your charger? Do I really need a smart one like Juice Box or can I get away with a basic one? Is WIFi worth it or will I get the same info from the car app? This is our first BEV so I am totally clueless and any advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated.
I chose a "dumb" charger, because of the cost, and reliability, and availability. Unless you want the app to play with, you don't need a smart charger.

Yes, you could get to 48 amps, vs 40, if you hardwire a smart charger, but, 40 amps give me 37 MPH of range, and that is enough for me.

Lastly, my cable is right near the charger port on the car, so I didn't want 25' of cable. This one is 18':

·
87 Posts
Skirmish, All good info on the wiring. The electrician I hired to do the install next Saturday suggested using oversized aluminum wire, 4-3 which has an approved rating to 75 Amps. His reason was to keep cost down as copper wire (6-3) is wildly expensive. The straight run is just short of 50’ from service box to charger. He said two 30 amp breakers will give me full charging capability for the ChargePoint charger. My request was to future proof the install so if future EV’s allow higher charging rates the wire is already in place. (I don’t see me going back to an ICE car, ever)
I‘m old enough to remember when Aluminum wire was banned from residential construction as a fire hazard. But, a Google search today shows it’s back after wire manufacturers changed the aluminum alloy and required over-sizing the gauge. The “Pros and Cons” for aluminum wire today never mention safety Issues.
Still, I’m not wild about using aluminum wire, but the electrician is licensed and comes highly recommended. It’s his license on the line.
4 gauge wire won't fit into the Chargepoint terminals. Use #6 copper. I believe Chargepoint even specifies it.

Also, maybe he meant this by, "2 30 amp breakers", but you need a 60 amp 2 pole breaker to max out the Chargepoint at 48 amps.

·
210 Posts
It seemed to take forever, definitely longer than the three week delay they predicted but according to their new blog post, United Chargers got their semiconductors and the Alpha is in production next week. They don’t really say when they will ship, just “soon”. As of July 19 they still have it in preorder so it is $100 off. I’m a little excited.

·
10 Posts
I have a Juicebox 40. I have had absolutely no issues with it. I would reccomend a charger with wifi if you are doing off peak charging. The system for setting charging times in the ID4 does not work. I rely on the Juicebox to set charging times. It works perfectly. Hopefully vw will fix the one in the ID4 infortainment system eventually.

·
2018 Chevy Bolt (ID4 future owner?)
42 Posts
It seemed to take forever, definitely longer than the three week delay they predicted but according to their new blog post, United Chargers got their semiconductors and the Alpha is in production next week. They don’t really say when they will ship, just “soon”. As of July 19 they still have it in preorder so it is $100 off. I’m a little excited.
I got one of the first batch of Alpha chargers in January. I have been a Beta tester since the start.

So far, us Beta testers got a whole new unit a few weeks in, then one USB update with some "fixes". Still no WiFi or ethernet capability.

The notice we got today about restarting the shipping clock is welcome news. Hopefully that means SW updates this week to start adding some of the features to make it "smart".

21 - 40 of 60 Posts