Volkswagen ID Forum banner
181 - 200 of 213 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
236 Posts
Your’s doesn’t have wireless charging.
Wireless charging is really inefficient and generates a lot of heat. On top of that, wireless AA /CarPlay is pretty cpu intensive, also heating up the phone.
Combine that with a non ventilated, non cooled, snug little cubby and overheating is guaranteed.

I simply use a 30 cm usb-c wire to charge the phone and put it face down on the mat, to prevent it from wireless charging. This prevented any issues for me.
Same here….I even put a thicker piece of cardboard cut to size under the charging mat to ensure it doesn’t charge anything (placed in there erroneously upside down).

·
VW ID.4 FE Dusk Blue
115 Posts
Your’s doesn’t have wireless charging.
The 8 Plus definitely has wireless charging, I have the same phone. You can see wireless charging listed here under "Tech Specs": Refurbished iPhone 8 Plus 64GB - Gold (Unlocked)

@ArkansawyerAdam , are you using CarPlay? Or typically just letting it charge but not utilizing any maps or other applications while driving? I have the feeling it heats up significantly more if being utilized for CarPlay, but maybe stays a bit cooler if not used.

·
19 Posts
The 8 Plus definitely has wireless charging, I have the same phone. You can see wireless charging listed here under "Tech Specs": Refurbished iPhone 8 Plus 64GB - Gold (Unlocked)

@ArkansawyerAdam , are you using CarPlay? Or typically just letting it charge but not utilizing any maps or other applications while driving? I have the feeling it heats up significantly more if being utilized for CarPlay, but maybe stays a bit cooler if not used.
Yes, the iPhone 8Plus does indeed have wireless charging. That is one reason that I have it. I use Car-Play and do not connect with the USB cable (because I have USB Media attached to both). I have noticed it very warm at times but not what I would consider too hot. Having heard reports, I wonder if my phone protective cover is really what is helping. I am using car-play less now that I have my mp3,wma and mp4 media available on two 120GB memory sticks.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
98 Posts
I installed mine today. < $100 for everything. I don't plan on towing but want to be able to if I need to in a pinch. So, I put on a 2" ball.
Is yours a Pro or Pro S? Wondering about the bolt holes for the hitch portion if they are there?

·
569 Posts

ugh, I stand corrected. Am a life long IPhone user and could totally swear they introduced it a model later. Sorry 😞

·
2021 VW ID4 FE
55 Posts
Almost pulled the trigger on the Homelink mirror (still might), but got to thinking the cubby for the phone charger would make a convenient spot to "hide" a garage remote. I removed the clip off my Chamberlain remote and added some Velcro tabs.
View attachment 3441
Thanks for the simple mod, easy access and very stealth. 😎

·
2021 VW ID4 FE
55 Posts
My first mod was a debadge. Heated up and used dental floss to remove the badges. Then used goo gone car sticker remover to remove the residue then ipa wipe to clean off extra goo gone leftover. Results are perfect.

View attachment 4917

Next up is removing those God awful orange side reflectors.
+1 on removing ID.4 badge plus getting rid of orange plastic markers. I also removed 1st Badges (PITA), definitely recommend 3M Magic Erasure Wheel for those.

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
151 Posts
As close up as I have right now, those orange reflectors GTG
Are you proposing an illegal mod? In the United States, amber front and red rear side marker lamps and retroreflectors are required, and have been since 1968.

·
19 Posts
Are you proposing an illegal mod? In the United States, amber front and red rear side marker lamps and retroreflectors are required, and have been since 1968.
Federal law requires that the manufacturer install these reflectors. Check your state and local laws for owner/ operator requirements.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
98 Posts
There are a lot of crazy federal laws that are so outdated and quite frankly ridiculous. Ever wonder why we don't get the cool LED rear tail lights that have directional patterns to them?

Federal law requires that 2 square inches light up on a turn signal initially -- those rules have existed forever when incandescent lights were the norm. LED's are so much brighter, but regs were never updated.

Ever wonder why we don't get the latest headlight technologies......so do I. The federal standards are so outdated and really need to be updated.

·
ID.4 First Edition
12 Posts
I just got my ID.4 FE back from the shop… from the stock galaxy mythos black, I added:
  • Muddy Buddy liners
  • OCDPlug screen protector kit (no more finger print smudges on the screen)
  • STEK DynoMatt PPF to get a satin/matte effect (got rid of the fingerprint smudges everywhere); opted for clear PPF on the door handle wells/pockets to give it some contrast
  • Ceramic tint on windows (20%), windshields (80%), and panoramic roof
  • OEM mudguards
  • “chrome/silver” delete on the roof rails and pillars; opted to keep the 1st Edition badging as the only accent
I wanted a mostly toned down look, but not a full on stealth (black on black) effect. It’s been hot and sunny here in Northern California, and I’m appreciating the added tint.

Looking to do my first long drive next weekend. I’m hoping my bike rack arrives soon. It’s getting cumbersome having to load the bike in the car every time I go out.

·
29 Posts
Looks great! Im contemplating doing the same tint on the front windows, just hesitant that at some point CHP is gonna catch up to me...

I just got my ID.4 FE back from the shop… from the stock galaxy mythos black, I added:
  • Muddy Buddy liners
  • OCDPlug screen protector kit (no more finger print smudges on the screen)
  • STEK DynoMatt PPF to get a satin/matte effect (got rid of the fingerprint smudges everywhere); opted for clear PPF on the door handle wells/pockets to give it some contrast
  • Ceramic tint on windows (20%), windshields (80%), and panoramic roof
  • OEM mudguards
  • “chrome/silver” delete on the roof rails and pillars; opted to keep the 1st Edition badging as the only accent
I wanted a mostly toned down look, but not a full on stealth (black on black) effect. It’s been hot and sunny here in Northern California, and I’m appreciating the added tint.

Looking to do my first long drive next weekend. I’m hoping my bike rack arrives soon. It’s getting cumbersome having to load the bike in the car every time I go out.

View attachment 5203

View attachment 5204

View attachment 5205

View attachment 5206

View attachment 5207

View attachment 5208

·
ID.4 First Edition
12 Posts
Looks great! Im contemplating doing the same tint on the front windows, just hesitant that at some point CHP is gonna catch up to me...
I’m also slightly worried about a potential fix-it ticket/warning, but hoping that would be an extremely rare event.

The current environment may have changed a lot, but the last few times I was pulled over, I’ve usually already rolled down my windows and have my hands on the wheel and wait for the officer to do their thing. Turns out someone ripped my registration sticker and I needed to get that fixed.

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
151 Posts
I’m also slightly worried about a potential fix-it ticket/warning, but hoping that would be an extremely rare event.

The current environment may have changed a lot, but the last few times I was pulled over, I’ve usually already rolled down my windows and have my hands on the wheel and wait for the officer to do their thing. Turns out someone ripped my registration sticker and I needed to get that fixed.
Might consider not posting your plates on this site if your concerned about CHP enforcement.

·
9 Posts
How much does a full wrap like that cost?

181 - 200 of 213 Posts