Volkswagen ID Forum banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
122 Posts
Finally got around to using 3M vinyl wrap to cover the piano black on the center console. It's a first effort, I've never used vinyl wrap before today. I'll be re-doing it at some point in the near future to get rid of the bubbles and wrinkles, but what I've got now is infinitely better than the piano black. This is a $35 job, maybe $50 if you buy a heat gun which I recommend. A hair dryer would work, but the heat gun is just excellent.

Thanks to @Andy at Ross-Tech.com for helping me get the console off. I've never done trim work, so it's mildly terrifying to start prying pieces off of my new car. The first step below is what he told me.

So - to remove the piano black console, you'll need a bunch of plastic pry wedges/bars. You can get a set for about $8 or so. Just start near the rear of the console by slipping one of the wedges underneath, then work more of them under and work your way around. It took me seven or eight of them to get the thing to come up. There are blade-type things on the bottom of the piece, maybe eight of them, that slip into clips below. They'll just slide out if you can move them far enough along. Take your time, you'll do fine! Once you get it far enough up it'll pop right out. You'll see the blade things in one of the pics below, and in the first pic right down there you can see the silver clips that the blade thing slide into.

You'll need to remove the emergency key module once you get the tray out. There's not much slack in the line, just take your time and maneuver so you can see it. It's held in by three clips. You can pry these apart with your fingers one at a time, the module will pop right out.

Ideally the piano black piece would separate from the tray...but it won't. I can't be sure but I think it's glued together. It appears there are three pieces all together here: the trim piece, the tray, and the card holder is grafted on top of all of that. No problem, you can do this without removing the piano black piece. You can see some of the blades that hold the thing in around the edge of the trim piece here. I don't recall if the blades with clips at the bottom of the insert actually click into anything...but it'll pop right out in the step above:

Now follow the YouTubers' instructions on how to wrap stuff. I can say that at least for me, with this piece, I found the squeegee thing (watch some videos, you'll see what I mean) to be more of a hindrance. Using my fingers to stretch and press was far faster. I found that doing a quickish first round around the outside, then going back around to finish worked well. The thing is you've got to get some leverage to do the stretching, and to do that you've got to get the stuff down. It's a chicken/egg thing.

Since the inner tray won't release, for the inside you'll just have to press the wrap on nicely and then you can run a blade around just below where the two pieces meet. This'll make more sense when you see it.

I have no use for the card holder, so I just left it covered as a "visual design element."

Once you're done, reinstall. Easy-peasy!

I wish I had given myself a little more time to fool with it, but it's just not happening today. I can't wait to pull this try off and redo with fewer/no errors.

Needed supplies:
  • 3M vinyl wrap I ordered a 5' x 2' , if you're bold you could get the 5x1 and have enough for two tries on this piece
  • Razor/X-acto knife
  • heat gun or hair dryer (strong recommend on heat gun)
  • Plastic pry tools

Really not needed for this project:
Squeegee thing for smoothing, or really anything in this kit except for the blades. I'll use the stuff eventually.

Attachments

·
45 Posts
Thanks for the detailed write up for removing the console. I think it will be my next project after wrapping the headlights and light bar with clear film protection.

My suggestion for wrapping is not to overheat the vinyl too much. Getting the vinyl to wrap over those complex curves require heat, but can cause wrinkling/bubbling if overheated. Also the felt covered squeegee will help a lot to get out bubbles so I would suggest using it too.

·
323 Posts
Finally got around to using 3M vinyl wrap to cover the piano black on the center console. It's a first effort, I've never used vinyl wrap before today. I'll be re-doing it at some point in the near future to get rid of the bubbles and wrinkles, but what I've got now is infinitely better than the piano black. This is a $35 job, maybe $50 if you buy a heat gun which I recommend. A hair dryer would work, but the heat gun is just excellent.

Thanks to @Andy at Ross-Tech.com for helping me get the console off. I've never done trim work, so it's mildly terrifying to start prying pieces off of my new car. The first step below is what he told me.

So - to remove the piano black console, you'll need a bunch of plastic pry wedges/bars. You can get a set for about $8 or so. Just start near the rear of the console by slipping one of the wedges underneath, then work more of them under and work your way around. It took me seven or eight of them to get the thing to come up. There are blade-type things on the bottom of the piece, maybe eight of them, that slip into clips below. They'll just slide out if you can move them far enough along. Take your time, you'll do fine! Once you get it far enough up it'll pop right out. You'll see the blade things in one of the pics below, and in the first pic right down there you can see the silver clips that the blade thing slide into.

You'll need to remove the emergency key module once you get the tray out. There's not much slack in the line, just take your time and maneuver so you can see it. It's held in by three clips. You can pry these apart with your fingers one at a time, the module will pop right out.

View attachment 3673

View attachment 3674

Ideally the piano black piece would separate from the tray...but it won't. I can't be sure but I think it's glued together. It appears there are three pieces all together here: the trim piece, the tray, and the card holder is grafted on top of all of that. No problem, you can do this without removing the piano black piece. You can see some of the blades that hold the thing in around the edge of the trim piece here. I don't recall if the blades with clips at the bottom of the insert actually click into anything...but it'll pop right out in the step above:

View attachment 3676

Now follow the YouTubers' instructions on how to wrap stuff. I can say that at least for me, with this piece, I found the squeegee thing (watch some videos, you'll see what I mean) to be more of a hindrance. Using my fingers to stretch and press was far faster. I found that doing a quickish first round around the outside, then going back around to finish worked well. The thing is you've got to get some leverage to do the stretching, and to do that you've got to get the stuff down. It's a chicken/egg thing.

Since the inner tray won't release, for the inside you'll just have to press the wrap on nicely and then you can run a blade around just below where the two pieces meet. This'll make more sense when you see it.

I have no use for the card holder, so I just left it covered as a "visual design element."

Once you're done, reinstall. Easy-peasy!

View attachment 3678

I wish I had given myself a little more time to fool with it, but it's just not happening today. I can't wait to pull this try off and redo with fewer/no errors.

Needed supplies:
  • 3M vinyl wrap I ordered a 5' x 2' , if you're bold you could get the 5x1 and have enough for two tries on this piece
  • Razor/X-acto knife
  • heat gun or hair dryer (strong recommend on heat gun)
  • Plastic pry tools

Really not needed for this project:
Squeegee thing for smoothing, or really anything in this kit except for the blades. I'll use the stuff eventually.
This is fantastic, thank you! 1. do you have a link to the pry wedges you used? 2. Do you have a link to a favorite Youtube video that shows how to do this?

·
122 Posts
This is fantastic, thank you! 1. do you have a link to the pry wedges you used? 2. Do you have a link to a favorite Youtube video that shows how to do this?
My pleasure! I've learned so much here, I try to give back when I can.

Similar pry wedges link is in the above post. Here are the ones I ordered. You'll want plenty, make sure you only use plastic/nylon to remove the parts.

Man, I can't find the videos that I watched to figure it out. There are so many! Just search for "3M vinyl interior wrap" or similar. They'll all have similar stuff to say, just find one or two that you enjoy watching. I did find the one below that was instructive since I can make mistakes with the best of them:

5 common mistakes

Good luck! This is an easy project, you just need to take your time and be persistent. You might need a couple of attempts, that's OK. The stuff comes right off. Try again. Post pics!

·
323 Posts
My pleasure! I've learned so much here, I try to give back when I can.

Similar pry wedges link is in the above post. Here are the ones I ordered. You'll want plenty, make sure you only use plastic/nylon to remove the parts.

Man, I can't find the videos that I watched to figure it out. There are so many! Just search for "3M vinyl interior wrap" or similar. They'll all have similar stuff to say, just find one or two that you enjoy watching. I did find the one below that was instructive since I can make mistakes with the best of them:

5 common mistakes

Good luck! This is an easy project, you just need to take your time and be persistent. You might need a couple of attempts, that's OK. The stuff comes right off. Try again. Post pics!
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Have you/will you do armrests?

·
122 Posts
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Have you/will you do armrests?
One of the reasons I bought an FE with white armrests was so I wouldn't have to. :cautious: I'm not saying I'm lazy - I'm "energy efficient."

And, at the end of the day, I find that I really like the white accents. Have fun!

·
323 Posts
One of the reasons I bought an FE with white armrests was so I wouldn't have to. :cautious: I'm not saying I'm lazy - I'm "energy efficient."

And, at the end of the day, I find that I really like the white accents. Have fun!
Ah, I see.

·
469 Posts

·
45 Posts
You have become quite expert at this. I don't understand how you get it around the bottom edges.
Thanks man, I have just had a lot of practice. I started out with doing the chrome delete on my Tesla a few years ago and have become a big vinyl wrap fan lol.

Vinyl wrap mainly takes patience and a very steady hand and of course the right tools. For this project here's what I used.

DETAIL SQUEEGEES

DETAIL KNIFE

And of course a heatgun and a felt edged squeegee. Having the right tools is a necessity. A really good knife is key and having a sharp 30 degree blade.

You don't need to have it completely wrap around the bottom edges just enough where you can hide the cut edges. In order to do this, once you get the wrap down to the edges you hit it with a little heat(again don't overheat it) and use the detail squeegee to work it under the edge, but don't use too much force or you may tear the vinyl. After you get it worked in as much as you can all the way around the edges, hit it again with some heat again to "set" the vinyl using your fingers to run along the edge(you can use one of those heat gloves if you have them GLOVE). This keeps the vinyl from wrinkling up when you make your cuts. Once you're ready to make your cut just use a slow and steady pace. Use the edge of the console as your guide without cutting it. Viola! You're done. The best thing about vinyl is if you screw up just remove it and start over...that's where the patience part comes in:LOL:

·
323 Posts
Thanks man, I have just had a lot of practice. I started out with doing the chrome delete on my Tesla a few years ago and have become a big vinyl wrap fan lol.

Vinyl wrap mainly takes patience and a very steady hand and of course the right tools. For this project here's what I used.

DETAIL SQUEEGEES

DETAIL KNIFE

And of course a heatgun and a felt edged squeegee. Having the right tools is a necessity. A really good knife is key and having a sharp 30 degree blade.

You don't need to have it completely wrap around the bottom edges just enough where you can hide the cut edges. In order to do this, once you get the wrap down to the edges you hit it with a little heat(again don't overheat it) and use the detail squeegee to work it under the edge, but don't use too much force or you may tear the vinyl. After you get it worked in as much as you can all the way around the edges, hit it again with some heat again to "set" the vinyl using your fingers to run along the edge(you can use one of those heat gloves if you have them GLOVE). This keeps the vinyl from wrinkling up when you make your cuts. Once you're ready to make your cut just use a slow and steady pace. Use the edge of the console as your guide without cutting it. Viola! You're done. The best thing about vinyl is if you screw up just remove it and start over...that's where the patience part comes in:LOL:
Thanks a million. I think that I'm ready to try now.

·
5 Posts

·
5 Posts
Finally completed my vinyl wrap project. Took much longer than expected as I didn't want to remove the roof rails or fin antenna as that would have required dropping the headliner. I found that once you start removing interior panels they don't always go back on as snug and you can get those annoy rattles.

Anyways, I went for the GTX look and black out my roof. It's all satin black vinyl to match back to the roof rails. I also wrapped over the glossy black areas on the rear spoiler sides and side window panel frames. I always liked the look of the Range Rover Evoque with the blacked out top thought it would look good on the ID.4.

View attachment 3663
View attachment 3664

Used this as inspiration:

View attachment 3665
That is sharp looking.

·
45 Posts
Looks very nice. If you start getting frustrated, can you take a short break and walk away, then come back and finish? When this happens is it best to just start all over when you come back?
Thanks! You can definitely take a break if you get frustrated. Vinyl is a pretty resilient product as long as you learn its limitations. As long as you're doing your wrap project in a garage or area where its out of direct sunlight and isn't exposed to wind and blowing dust etc. Once you get any type of contaminate(i.e. dust, lint, etc.) it's pretty impossible to remove from the adhesive. The contaminate will most likely show through once the vinyl is applied.

Good luck, I think once you get the basics down on how to work with vinyl you'll be wrapping everything....I have:ROFLMAO:

·
Proud FE owner
970 Posts
When your kid needs transportation and your ID.4 needs a friend (and a dealer has a crazy good CPO deal.

·
45 Posts
This is amazing, great job. I would love to do this to my car
The ID.4 would probably be one of the easier cars to wrap. There's really no large panels and/or complex curves. The only challenging spot I think would be wrapping around the side mirrors. Would most likely either have to remove it and the stalk or hide a cut seam. The roof was a lot of work for me because as I posted earlier, I didn't want to drop the headliners to remove the roof rails and fin antenna.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts