Volkswagen ID Forum banner
161 - 180 of 213 Posts

·
80 Posts
I'm thinking to do that in mine as well and then set up a ham stick for POTA. Where did you mount your antenna, and have you noticed noise at all? de KC2ASY
I don't work HF from the car just uhf vhf mount is on the hatch lip .. I have two other SUV's antenna mounted the same way. mount is fully adjustable for any angle. Don't blow or lose a fuse none in the world available in the world...that's what the dealer told me. They don't have any!! The blade on the fuse is wider and longer! the reg. one won't work. Also the book shows all the wrong and not enough information about the fuses

·
White ProS
13 Posts
Finally completed my vinyl wrap project. Took much longer than expected as I didn't want to remove the roof rails or fin antenna as that would have required dropping the headliner. I found that once you start removing interior panels they don't always go back on as snug and you can get those annoy rattles.

Anyways, I went for the GTX look and black out my roof. It's all satin black vinyl to match back to the roof rails. I also wrapped over the glossy black areas on the rear spoiler sides and side window panel frames. I always liked the look of the Range Rover Evoque with the blacked out top thought it would look good on the ID.4.

View attachment 3663
View attachment 3664

Used this as inspiration:

View attachment 3665
This is awesome and exactly what I want for my ProS. Your Satin Black is made by 3M 2080? Also did you wrap the roof in one big sheet or you have butt joints?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,048 Posts
Instead of getting something frivolous (like a light-up badge), I upgraded my VAG-COM to something that supports ID.4. That came in today - I was fiddling with it a bit to see what I could see. I don't expect a lot in there - my scan today was really just more of a baseline.

·
569 Posts
Instead of getting something frivolous (like a light-up badge), I upgraded my VAG-COM to something that supports ID.4. That came in today - I was fiddling with it a bit to see what I could see. I don't expect a lot in there - my scan today was really just more of a baseline.
interesting, please keep us posted :)

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,048 Posts
interesting, please keep us posted :)
Spent a little time playing - there are a lot of new modules that I never had on previous cars. The function of many of them is kind of obvious, but many of them seem to have hundreds of values that you can read. There are labels that kind of describe the purpose - not all are implemented however.

Numerous modules are locked and cannot be altered (you are still able to read values from them however).

The sound makers are two separate modules. You can query basic stuff like temperature, and so forth, and you can tell them to generate a test tone (varying frequencies and volumes). Not all frequencies and volumes work, but I did get a high-pitched squeal to come out of the thing at one point.

Telematics is another one. Car GPS position is visible. Lots of networking stats (TCP/IP, MAC address, VLAN numbers) and all that kind of stuff.

There is one module that has the DC/DC converter - basic stats about the battery voltages.

BMS is kind of a big one - you can see the individual cell voltages for all 96 cells. There are additional locations for cells beyond this that aren't present. Various temperatures are also visible.b

Discussions of updates from VW come up a lot now - the car only checks once a week, but nobody really knows the date that it works off of. Some think it is related to a date on which the module was first programmed and turned on. I found this in Telematics:

The next time I get the thing out, I am going to use the tool to scan EVERYTHING on the car, and save the results into a text file of some sort. Anyways, enough playing for one day..

·
7 Posts
My first mod was a debadge. Heated up and used dental floss to remove the badges. Then used goo gone car sticker remover to remove the residue then ipa wipe to clean off extra goo gone leftover. Results are perfect.

Next up is removing those God awful orange side reflectors.

·
18 Posts
Has anyone wrapped the panel around the interior door handle? I was looking it today and I'm not sure how it's supposed to come off and it doesn't look like there's room to apply it while attached.

·
VW ID.4 Pro Glacier White Metallic
87 Posts
I am interested in his. Can you please explain how you hooked up the dash-cam to power?
Essentially use the same method as this post:

But the fuse tap is powering the battery pack (iVolt) and the dash cam is powered by the battery pack. As for routing the wire, I sure didn't do the best, as I didn't bother attempting to remove the a-pillar (or more like I failed at doing so...), so you'll notice wires on the windshield near the a pillar.

·
10 Posts
Essentially use the same method as this post:

But the fuse tap is powering the battery pack (iVolt) and the dash cam is powered by the battery pack. As for routing the wire, I sure didn't do the best, as I didn't bother attempting to remove the a-pillar (or more like I failed at doing so...), so you'll notice wires on the windshield near the a pillar.
Thanks!

·
19 Posts
Installed trailer hitch, chrome ball, and electrical plug. Only took about five minutes to install the electrical adapter. The adapter is a POLLAK RV Trailer 7-Way RV OEM Socket - 11-893 Wiring Connector from Amazon for about $22.
I installed mine today. < $100 for everything. I don't plan on towing but want to be able to if I need to in a pinch. So, I put on a 2" ball.

Attachments

·
19 Posts
Here is the puddle light projector from the right side mirror, hoping someone else knows more about this. I'd like to change it out for a different image, ideally the vw logo.
View attachment 3310 View attachment 3311 View attachment 3312 View attachment 3313
Any luck on modifying your puddle lights? On my Mercedes Benz, I had to remove the lense to realign the logo to my liking. Looks like this could be disassembled too. I thought of reinserting a piece of 35mm film with a photo of my liking. The image, even a logo, would need to be high resolution, I should think.

·
19 Posts
Almost pulled the trigger on the Homelink mirror (still might), but got to thinking the cubby for the phone charger would make a convenient spot to "hide" a garage remote. I removed the clip off my Chamberlain remote and added some Velcro tabs.
View attachment 3441
I just did the HomeLink mirror. It is an upgrade with integrated compass that looks nicer in addition to having the buttons.

Attachments

·
20 Posts
First prize for innovation 🙌.
My iPhone runs hot when charging. Might making that smaller cubby cause phone overheating?
Great implementation 👍.
Did you use the card holder for better stability and strength for the upper cubby?
Did you laser measure for the exact dimensions like WeatherTech 😉?
I have the same issue. When the phone is in the compartment it gets so hot, it overheats. But I don't think it has to o with the built in charger mat. Its just really hot in there. Looks like some heat from the car is transferred right into this

·
19 Posts
I have the same issue. When the phone is in the compartment it gets so hot, it overheats. But I don't think it has to o with the built in charger mat. Its just really hot in there. Looks like some heat from the car is transferred right into this
I was wondering about folks that say their phones overheat in there. Mine has not. It is an iPhone 8Plus and is in a protective housing. Made me wonder if putting a piece of cardboard under the phone would help, assuming it still charges. Just a thought.

·
569 Posts
I was wondering about folks that say their phones overheat in there. Mine has not. It is an iPhone 8Plus and is in a protective housing. Made me wonder if putting a piece of cardboard under the phone would help, assuming it still charges. Just a thought.
Your’s doesn’t have wireless charging.
Wireless charging is really inefficient and generates a lot of heat. On top of that, wireless AA /CarPlay is pretty cpu intensive, also heating up the phone.
Combine that with a non ventilated, non cooled, snug little cubby and overheating is guaranteed.

I simply use a 30 cm usb-c wire to charge the phone and put it face down on the mat, to prevent it from wireless charging. This prevented any issues for me.

·
20 Posts
Your’s doesn’t have wireless charging.
Wireless charging is really inefficient and generates a lot of heat. On top of that, wireless AA /CarPlay is pretty cpu intensive, also heating up the phone.
Combine that with a non ventilated, non cooled, snug little cubby and overheating is guaranteed.

I simply use a 30 cm usb-c wire to charge the phone and put it face down on the mat, to prevent it from wireless charging. This prevented any issues for me.
I agree that the aa/car play really draws a lot of power in the phone, kind of stupid but probably the android or apple programming issues, this may be part of the heat production in the compartment.

161 - 180 of 213 Posts