Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father-in-law asked me what is under the hood of the ID.4 if not a motor when I explained that the electric motor was under the back seat. He wasn't satisfied with my response of "I don't know, the other stuff that goes in a car." Can someone with a good picture of what's under the hood of the ID.4 walk through what all the different doodads are?

·
78 Posts
I took a picture of engine bay during the Seattle demo tour. There is some wasted space in the US ID.4 that could probably fit a small frunk if optimized properly since we are missing the heat pump that EU and Canada gets.

Photo has my guesses on what's in the engine bay.

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, this is helpful. I had assumed that the big black box was charging-related equipment but it's nice to know I was correct.

·
170 Posts
No heat pump I gather?

The more I read on this forum the more I'm inclined to cancel my reservation. Some of the rather important features are missing and I'm not likely to go spending on something that will be feature gutted for the US market. It seems that maybe an eTron would be more suitable tech wise

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
790 Posts
An eTron would be very nice but much larger, as between a Q5 and Q7 in size, and also far more expensive.

[The former A3 Avant based eTron was a hybrid.]

No heat pump I gather?

The more I read on this forum the more I'm inclined to cancel my reservation. Some of the rather important features are missing and I'm not likely to go spending on something that will be feature gutted for the US market. It seems that maybe an eTron would be more suitable tech wise

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
537 Posts
An eTron would be very nice but much larger, as between a Q5 and Q7 in size, and also far more expensive.

[The former A3 Avant based eTron was a hybrid.]
Unless @mmmzon is thinking of the Q4 e-tron which will be similarly sized to the ID.4. It will still be far more expensive than the ID.4 but less than the current e-tron. The Q4 e-tron will likely have many features from the European ID.4 at an Audi price.

Reactions: Huey52

·
170 Posts
@TT97, it seems more and more likely that it might be indeed the sweet spot for me. I already shot an email off to my Audi dealership to see what they know, if anything. They have been pretty forthcoming before, so hopefully I will have some data to share. If the base price estimate for Q4 is indeed 45k (AWD) with max at around 55k before options, this might be indeed a worthy alternative to look into, given that I am not really super pressed to do any car swapping. I still have years on the Q5 I currently use and could likely run it into the ground before being against the wall to trade.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
537 Posts
@TT97, it seems more and more likely that it might be indeed the sweet spot for me. I already shot an email off to my Audi dealership to see what they know, if anything. They have been pretty forthcoming before, so hopefully I will have some data to share. If the base price estimate for Q4 is indeed 45k (AWD) with max at around 55k before options, this might be indeed a worthy alternative to look into, given that I am not really super pressed to do any car swapping. I still have years on the Q5 I currently use and could likely run it into the ground before being against the wall to trade.
We are in the same boat. The Q4 has all the options I want although it will be my wife's car so she may not even notice (or ever use) any of the missing features. Her Subaru has eye-sight which I do not think she has ever used once. (My mother-in-law, on the other hand, doesn't think my wife should have any car that is not Audi/BMW/MB and was very upset when we bought the Subaru).

Reactions: Huey52 and mmmzon

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
790 Posts
Thanks for reminding me of the [even more future than ID.4] Q4. I'm sure it too will be nice, but after a decade of Audi a better bang for the buck VW offering is now what I'm after. ;)

Unless @mmmzon is thinking of the Q4 e-tron which will be similarly sized to the ID.4. It will still be far more expensive than the ID.4 but less than the current e-tron. The Q4 e-tron will likely have many features from the European ID.4 at an Audi price.

·
170 Posts
No disagreement. Having both VW and Audi experience, though, as far as dealership is concerned, warranty repairs, maintenance, etc., I would still pick Audi. I had nothing but terrible experience with Touareg last year, and had to pretty much take the loss and trade it in. Dealership left me high and dry.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
790 Posts
My local Audi dealership has always been underwhelming (service side mostly). I can't imagine my new-to-me VW being any worse, so ... Sad to even have a lesser of evils mindset. I agree that you have to go with your own local dealership experiences.
Fortunately a pure-electric should innately have less maintenance items. But we shall see.

·
593 Posts
I have had some sort of VW TDI since 2002, once I drive off the lot the dealer doesn't see the car again except if there is an issue with the airbag system, that is the only thing I won't work on. I have had some bad experiences with numerous VW service depts, along with what I consider poor response from VWoA. I have dealt with Audi service at 2 different dealerships and they have been okay to deal with. I am hoping that everything on the ID that is not related to the motor/batteries will be standard VW fair and will be familiar to work on. It will need to be worked on, it is a VW.

Reactions: Huey52 and mmmzon

·
62 Posts
It’s all a crap shoot. I’ve gotten 3 VW’s from my local dealership. 2 out of 3 were good salesperson experiences. Their service department is great, so I stick with them.

3 Audis and similar sales experiences. Service department was not knowledgeable on the A3 etron at all, had to drive 45 min to get service done because their etron guy was on vacation. We only got the Q5 phev there because of proximity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts