Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VW needs to put a “camping/dog mode” in Clima Control setting for the next OTA. I find it odd that there is not a mode in the Climate control to keep the AC/Heat temp set and operating while camping ⛺ or having a dog 🐶 stay in the ID4 when one is away from the vehicle. Seeing posts on YouTube with people adding dumbbells to leave in the front seat to trick the car to keep climate control on is so ridiculous given the technology in the car. Come on VW give us our camping/dog mode in our car net app and embedded in the Climate software settings.

·
2021 1st
777 Posts
I don't know how likely this is going to be because in CA, where I imagine a lot of the market for the ID4 is, leaving a dog in the car unattended is illegal.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
935 Posts
I don't know how likely this is going to be because in CA, where I imagine a lot of the market for the ID4 is, leaving a dog in the car unattended is illegal.
That's just a name - there are a lot of use cases. Camping mode, Drive-in movie mode, wife is shopping mode. All kind of similar - keep the climate running, and minimize power usage otherwise.

·
2021 1st
777 Posts
I get it--I wasn't trying to be pedantic. It was a feature in the eGolf via CarNet. The fact that someone might use it to leave a dog or their kids in the car is why I'm almost certain it isn't a feature and won't become one. I could be wrong...it might be a feature in CarNet still.

Keep in mind, if it's not in there now it was removed because unattended climate control used to be in CarNet so it's not like it was overlooked or a feature no one considered.

EDIT: I'm looking in CarNet and I do see "Remote Climate Settings" but, true to form, it's broken in that it continues to fail to update :)

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Umm...Tesla has had this capability for a long time. I think it should be a capability that can be turned on and off based on the choice of the car owner.

·
2021 1st
777 Posts
Umm...Tesla has had this capability for a long time. I think it should be a capability that can be turned on and off based on the choice of the car owner.
Assuming the CarNet "Remote Climate Settings" feature worked as advertised, would this fulfill your request or is there a difference I'm not understanding?

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Assuming the CarNet "Remote Climate Settings" feature worked as advertised, would this fulfill your request or is there a difference I'm not understanding?
Yes. The capability needs to be available to those who have a need for it. It does not matter what you call it. There just are times when you need to keep the climate AC/Heat running.

·
2021 1st
777 Posts
Yes. The capability needs to be available to those who have a need for it. It does not matter what you call it. There just are times when you need to keep the climate AC/Heat running.
It seems we're talking past one another.

I'm not an apologist for government control over whether people lock their dogs or kids in vehicles unattended. I wasn't arguing that it shouldn't be a feature--I was explaining why I thought it had been removed based on your claim that it didn't exist.

I checked CarNet and see that it has not been removed. Setting the climate for the vehicle while unattended is already a feature. Why are you asking for this feature that already exists? Is the feature that is in CarNet not what you are requesting?

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems we're talking past one another.

I'm not an apologist for government control over whether people lock their dogs or kids in vehicles unattended. I wasn't arguing that it shouldn't be a feature--I was explaining why I thought it had been removed based on your claim that it didn't exist.

I checked CarNet and see that it has not been removed. Setting the climate for the vehicle while unattended is already a feature. Why are you asking for this feature that already exists? Is the feature that is in CarNet not what you are requesting?
No worries. Appreciate your comments. It seems that the function in CarNet does not work. Appears that it is a dead function. The answer may be just that VW needs to update the software in CarNet. It would be nice if it was also a function in the Clima settings in the ID4 as people seem to have a lot of problems getting CarNet to work properly.

·
2021 1st
777 Posts
Do you have an ID4, yet? I have one (and am currently in the desert with 100+F degree weather atm) so I can do some tests for you, if not. I see the button on the steering column that should keep the car on when I get out. I'm not sure how long it will work. I haven't seen the reviews you referenced with people putting weights and stuff on the seats to fool the system. Do you know if they've tried latching the seat belt?

The CarNet feature isn't working for me, either. I had an eGolf from 2016-2019 so I can tell you that it not working can be a sign that VW actively removed the feature (like I was guessing at earlier) or it could just be failing. My experience with CarNet is that it failed more often than not and was really something that was universally hated at the time. I don't know if it's just crapping out (as usual) or not working by design!

I can go outside and run some tests for you right now if you don't have an ID4. I've been trying with CarNet for about 20 minutes without success but, again, that didn't surprise me and that's why I changed my posts to "we're not likely to get this" to "oh, wait, it's there but is this what you're asking for?" :) If there really needs to be an adult butt in one of the seats and a simple seatbelt trick won't do it, it's almost certainly due to liability concerns. I wouldn't read too much into Tesla having it because Musk seems to be in DGAF mode whereas VW has a very tenuous relationship with CA after diesel gate (not sure how much of that history you're aware of or care about but needless to say VW and CA have no love lost between one another at this point and I'm certain our AG would just love to wring some more billions from VW if they can figure out how).

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
131 Posts
I have been able to use CarNet to turn on climate control in my ID.4 remotely. That worked fine, but I believe it has a 30 minute timer and will shut off automatically.

Reactions: theboomr

·
2021 1st
777 Posts
OK...so first off I almost had heat stroke! And my wife's side of the car now has some wet spots that I'm going to have to explain, LMAO. Took me a few minutes to "unlock" the darn thing so I was sitting in a 140F heat for a handful of minutes.

Preliminary testing:

I can trigger the passenger side A/C above Eco with a seatbelt without sitting in it. I can trigger the driver's side A/C beyond Eco without any seatbelts or sitting in it. I got out of the car and it kept going for two minutes before I tried to lock the car, which promptly shut the whole thing off and rendered the entire experiment moot!

Unless anyone here plans to leave the A/C or heat running while the car is unlocked this isn't going to get us to where we need to be. I can go back out and see how long it will run unlocked with a seatbelt locked in after I cool down.

There seems to be a setting called "Immediate Ambient Temp" but I'm not certain if it's related to what we are wanting to do. If anyone wants to save me the time of reading through the manual I'm all ears on that feature and how to use it.

EDIT: after reading Astros' comment I re-tried CarNet and it "works" now...exactly as it used to in 2016. The car has to be "awake" for it to communicate effectively and the app will "think" about it or freeze or whatever you want to call it necessitating a restart to get an updated status. But you can get the remote climate started in some sort of way via the app.

As an aside, if this is anyone's first rodeo with VW and this app please temper your expectations. It hasn't changed much in five years other than removing features that never really worked correctly in the first place :)

·
5 Posts
My 2019 eGold via carnet only allows pre-heat or pre-cool to run for about 20 minutes. Don't remember if it had to be locked to work as my GM cars have to be locked to run climate (also for 15 minutes only)

·
217 Posts
An important feature of Tesla's dog mode is the screen that shows the actual temperature in the car and politely asks bystanders not to smash the windows of the car. It's also a feature you should be able to active while in the car. It would definitely be nice to have a well-designed dog mode feature in the ID.4 (and not some hack through CarNet)

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
Why not just turn on the auxiliary climate control before exiting the vehicle? Isn’t that an option on the “goodbye” screen after hitting the Park button? In the interest of transparency, for the life of me I do not understand this obsession with dog mode or camping mode. What other cars out there have something like this, other than Tesla’s?? If you wanted these features so badly, why buy an ID.4?

·
2021 1st
777 Posts
Isn’t that an option on the “goodbye” screen after hitting the Park button?
That's my question. Is that what the setting is intending to control? I wasn't sure what it was meant for or how it operated. It defiantly didn't crank the A/C to 72 when I left the car, though, I at least tried that.

EDIT: haha, s/b "definitely" but defiantly works, as well, given the screen just sat there unresponsive as I went through the settings.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
That's my question. Is that what the setting is intending to control? I wasn't sure what it was meant for or how it operated. It defiantly didn't crank the A/C to 72 when I left the car, though, I at least tried that.

EDIT: haha, s/b "definitely" but defiantly works, as well, given the screen just sat there unresponsive as I went through the settings.
So you turned on the A/C via the goodbye screen and the car did nothing?

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you have an ID4, yet? I have one (and am currently in the desert with 100+F degree weather atm) so I can do some tests for you, if not. I see the button on the steering column that should keep the car on when I get out. I'm not sure how long it will work. I haven't seen the reviews you referenced with people putting weights and stuff on the seats to fool the system. Do you know if they've tried latching the seat belt?

The CarNet feature isn't working for me, either. I had an eGolf from 2016-2019 so I can tell you that it not working can be a sign that VW actively removed the feature (like I was guessing at earlier) or it could just be failing. My experience with CarNet is that it failed more often than not and was really something that was universally hated at the time. I don't know if it's just crapping out (as usual) or not working by design!

I can go outside and run some tests for you right now if you don't have an ID4. I've been trying with CarNet for about 20 minutes without success but, again, that didn't surprise me and that's why I changed my posts to "we're not likely to get this" to "oh, wait, it's there but is this what you're asking for?" :) If there really needs to be an adult butt in one of the seats and a simple seatbelt trick won't do it, it's almost certainly due to liability concerns. I wouldn't read too much into Tesla having it because Musk seems to be in DGAF mode whereas VW has a very tenuous relationship with CA after diesel gate (not sure how much of that history you're aware of or care about but needless to say VW and CA have no love lost between one another at this point and I'm certain our AG would just love to wring some more billions from VW if they can figure out how).
I should have my ID4 FE delivered 21 April to dealer. From what I can gather you have to have “weight” in the seat for the AC/Heat to stay on. CarNet seems to be off an on non-functional for most when trying to set the the Climate. Those that have got it to work say it only stays on for about 30 minutes. Any “experiments” you can try would be appreciated and helpful. Thanks!

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why not just turn on the auxiliary climate control before exiting the vehicle? Isn’t that an option on the “goodbye” screen after hitting the Park button? In the interest of transparency, for the life of me I do not understand this obsession with dog mode or camping mode. What other cars out there have something like this, other than Tesla’s?? If you wanted these features so badly, why buy an ID.4?
Well for starters many of us will camp with the car when we go on trips. Many of us enjoy having our dogs with us. It does not really matter what you call the “mode” there are other times when you may want to keep the climate settings on. The reason I didn’t buy a Tesla is because I believe the ID4 is a better value and better made car, but that does not mean that VW should not look to improve the capabilities when it can be done through an OTA software update. This is the one area that frankly Tesla does better than any car maker...constant improvements done through software updates. I would hope VW will do the same given the ID4 has the technology and software to do it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts