Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

ID4 AWD Pro
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking this question especially to those who own an AWD.

I heard that the ECO mode on ID.4 would solely be relying on the RWD (basically makes it an RWD with 600 lbs dead weight upfront). It's why they got such few penalties on AWD ranges. Does it mean if your accelerator all the way to the floor it still won't use the front motor?

I'm just curious: 1. what mode you guys would be using the most; 2. do you need to switch mode when needed; 3. if so, how often do you need to switch mode?

One example with my current sonata hybrid, which has about 178hp engine and about 40hp motor, I found most time ECO is good enough for me. If I need to speed up and merge from light or so, I'll switch to Sport. It makes a quite big difference that the throttle response and steering are both faster. But even in ECO, if you step gas all the way it gives you the full power. So I found myself rarely using the Normal mode. I didn't really test the ECO mode acceleration on my AWD ID.4 test drive.

On the RWD ID.4 test drive, I noticed that the Sport mode doesn't make much difference compared to the Comfort mode. Actually, the Comfort mode feels accelerating faster than Sport on a slippery after rained road. I did notice that the front of the AWD ID.4 felt a bit heavier and the steering feels less agile. But I didn't recall if the Sport makes any difference on that.

2021 ID.4 PRO S AWD
Asking this question especially to those who own an AWD.

I heard that the ECO mode on ID.4 would solely be relying on the RWD (basically makes it an RWD with 600 lbs dead weight upfront). It's why they got such few penalties on AWD ranges. Does it mean if your accelerator all the way to the floor it still won't use the front motor?

I'm just curious: 1. what mode you guys would be using the most; 2. do you need to switch mode when needed; 3. if so, how often do you need to switch mode?

One example with my current sonata hybrid, which has about 178hp engine and about 40hp motor, I found most time ECO is good enough for me. If I need to speed up and merge from light or so, I'll switch to Sport. It makes a quite big difference that the throttle response and steering are both faster. But even in ECO, if you step gas all the way it gives you the full power. So I found myself rarely using the Normal mode. I didn't really test the ECO mode acceleration on my AWD ID.4 test drive.

On the RWD ID.4 test drive, I noticed that the Sport mode doesn't make much difference compared to the Comfort mode. Actually, the Comfort mode feels accelerating faster than Sport on a slippery after rained road. I did notice that the front of the AWD ID.4 felt a bit heavier and the steering feels less agile. But I didn't recall if the Sport makes any difference on that.
I use Eco most of the time. I never need it to change lanes or get out of a bad situation. I mainly switch to Sport when doing a demo for others :)

Sport. But of course I鈥檒l switch to something more economical if I鈥檓 not 100% confident of reaching the next charger or my final destination. It鈥檚 both fun and risky to play the game. Cabin heat? That鈥檚 for wimps!

Maybe not a game for everyone, ;)

2021 Pro AWD
Comfort. Don't know the answer to your question but definitely want to have full power available (front motor) without switching mode. Average 3.3 miles / kwh over 2400 miles

ID4 AWD Pro
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sport. But of course I鈥檒l switch to something more economical if I鈥檓 not 100% confident of reaching the next charger or my final destination. It鈥檚 both fun and risky to play the game. Cabin heat? That鈥檚 for wimps!

Maybe not a game for everyone, ;)
And is yours an AWD or rwd?

ID4 AWD Pro
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use Eco most of the time. I never need it to change lanes or get out of a bad situation. I mainly switch to Sport when doing a demo for others :)
So only using rwd on the AWD? Or if it will also use the front motor on Eco if you step deep enough?

ID4 1st Edition
I have a RWD and mostly use the sport mode, but I do that more for the light regen than for the extra peppiness. I really wish the car could maintain the sport mode too as it resets to comfort after turning off the car.

1. the extra motor weighs 200lbs, not 600
2. the front motor is only used for traction and heavy acceleration, if it is not needed (long stretches of highway, etc) it will disengage anyway. it would be a waste of energy not to do that.
3. eco mode can be bypassed by flooring the pedal past the kick-down resistance, it will then give maximum power anyway, so i assume that it will then also engage the front motor.

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
Comfort RWD
For a spell I was running continually in Sport but for my more typical about town errands I switched back to Comfort some time ago and have just left it there. Still plenty of acceleration when needed.

A voting poll would be interesting now that folks have had the AWD for some time.

2021 ID.4 Pro S Gradient
I use ECO 100% of the time except when the car switches to Comfort. I check that prior to each drive to make sure it is still in ECO. I have found that if I use Custom and change all available options to ECO it doesn't seem to change automatically to Comfort as often, but then that may be just a perception that isn't right.

I find it hard to believe that your AWD wouldn't engage the front wheels as soon as any wheel slippage was detected, no matter what drive mode was active, or what position the throttle/accelerator pedal. If you have to floor it to enter all wheel drive, it would be a completely useless system.

2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
If the front motor isn't powered at all, then it must still be turning . . . . assuming it's directly tied to the axle like the rear motor is. I would think that just a trickle of current always going to the front motor would reduce that drag and save energy, even though it's using just a tiny bit to keep the motor from being a drag. But . . . . I have no idea how VW designed their AWD setup

Any link to the differences between the 3 modes, or anecdotal experience? I see the tuning that changes in the menu, but I haven't seen any super noticeable difference between the modes except maybe throttle response. Does B mode change at all during different drive modes?

One thing i notice.. if you use 鈥渃ustom鈥 it remembers this setting when you leave and come back. I think the other modes return to eco every restart.

Ive started to experiment with custom by setting everything the same as ECO, except for the suspension damping to 鈥渟port鈥. So far im not noticing an obvious difference from 鈥渃omfort鈥 suspension but I need to to do more systematic testing. Of course I had assumed there is no active suspension in the car, and this is merely a software anomaly, but I鈥檇 like ti confirm through testing.

2021 ID.4 PRO S AWD
So only using rwd on the AWD? Or if it will also use the front motor on Eco if you step deep enough?
Yea, the front motor kicks in if you floor it.

Reactions: CiTY HuNTeR

ID.4 Pro S AWD
I have mine set to custom - ECO for drive & climate (sorry, CLIMA); everything else to Sport (or Comfort if Sport is not an option).

ID4 AWD Pro
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, the front motor kicks in if you floor it.
Good to know, because many reviewers are saying it will stay on RWD only in ECO, which would be dangerous if you need to pass.

Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
My car is in Comfort all the time. I am much to lazy to mess around with controls every time I get in, and the differences are so minimal (in my perception, but Kyle Connor would agree too) that it is not worth worrying about.

VW ID.4 Pro Glacier White Metallic
I've tried Eco but didn't really notice any range improvement on my commute to/from work. I did notice the power is lacking though when in Eco mode compared to comfort...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts