Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I've tried Eco but didn't really notice any range improvement on my commute to/from work. I did notice the power is lacking though when in Eco mode compared to comfort...
Is it lacking or if you need to step further? On my sonata hybrid, the gas pedal on Eco vs. Norm and Sport are just throttle-response and how deep I step in. For the same acceleration, I need to step way deeper in Eco. And it thinks longer when I press the pedal down than sport.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My car is in Comfort all the time. I am much to lazy to mess around with controls every time I get in, and the differences are so minimal (in my perception, but Kyle Connor would agree too) that it is not worth worrying about.
I have the same feeling. Actually, I feel the FE i tested accelerates faster in normal driving under comfort mode than sport.

·
VW ID.4 Pro Glacier White Metallic
216 Posts
Is it lacking or if you need to step further? On my sonata hybrid, the gas pedal on Eco vs. Norm and Sport are just throttle-response and how deep I step in. For the same acceleration, I need to step way deeper in Eco. And it thinks longer when I press the pedal down than sport.
Feels a bit sluggish off the line, but if you set in more, it'll gain some speed. I'm sure it's more of a throttle mapping, but it does reduce the heat/ac a little bit as well. I personally didn't see any efficiency gains, but that could be my driving style/habit between the two modes.

·
2021 ID.4 PRO S AWD
257 Posts
Regen is also stronger in Sport and I don’t love it. It’s not as strong as B mode, which I don’t like at all. I prefer to coast. This is my first EV (have had PHEV’s) and I tend to coast in other cars.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Feels a bit sluggish off the line, but if you set in more, it'll gain some speed. I'm sure it's more of a throttle mapping, but it does reduce the heat/ac a little bit as well. I personally didn't see any efficiency gains, but that could be my driving style/habit between the two modes.
I can tell a little bit about the mapping thing, since it's also a case of my sonata hybrid. For my normal driving style, I'll be more fuel efficient and faster in normal or sport mode. If you got lead foot, it's going to be actually less efficient in Eco. But my biggest concern is beyond the mapping stuff. I'm just curious if it will activate front motor at all in the Eco mode. Because some reviewers are saying in Eco mode the ID4 won't use front motor at all.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If the front motor isn't powered at all, then it must still be turning . . . . assuming it's directly tied to the axle like the rear motor is. I would think that just a trickle of current always going to the front motor would reduce that drag and save energy, even though it's using just a tiny bit to keep the motor from being a drag. But . . . . I have no idea how VW designed their AWD setup
No, according to VW the ID4 front motor is not a permanent magnet motor, so it won't create drag when not used only adds weight, and it can be completely disconnected. On the other hand, it won't be able to use for regen like the rear permanent magnet motor.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I have a RWD and mostly use the sport mode, but I do that more for the light regen than for the extra peppiness. I really wish the car could maintain the sport mode too as it resets to comfort after turning off the car.
Regen is also stronger in Sport and I don’t love it. It’s not as strong as B mode, which I don’t like at all. I prefer to coast. This is my first EV (have had PHEV’s) and I tend to coast in other cars.
That's interesting. The reply on #7 said he chose sport because it has lighter regen, and you said sport has stronger regen.

·
1,243 Posts
No, according to VW the ID4 front motor is not a permanent magnet motor, so it won't create drag when not used only adds weight, and it can be completely disconnected. On the other hand, it won't be able to use for regen like the rear permanent magnet motor.
This is wrong. The front motor can regen just fine whenever the car calls for it, the inverter excites the field to get whatever regen it wants. Search on asynchronous induction motor regen.

Reactions: PANZERidIV

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
569 Posts
This is wrong. The front motor can regen just fine whenever the car calls for it, the inverter excites the field to get whatever regen it wants. Search on asynchronous induction motor regen.
. . . . and the drag would be just because the axle is turning the gearbox and the motor when it isn't active - That is, unless there's some sort of clutch which disconnects the motor and the gearbox when not in use

·
291 Posts
I drove in Comfort mode until the cold weather hit recently. I've switched to Eco mode for the winter and found it gives me a 5% to 10% improvement in range. There is a little bit of a penalty on performance, but still a lot better in this regard compared to the Tiguan I had previously. I'll switch back to Comfort when the weather starts warming up again.

·
55 Posts
I drove in Comfort mode until the cold weather hit recently. I've switched to Eco mode for the winter and found it gives me a 5% to 10% improvement in range. There is a little bit of a penalty on performance, but still a lot better in this regard compared to the Tiguan I had previously. I'll switch back to Comfort when the weather starts warming up again.
Asking this question especially to those who own an AWD.

I heard that the ECO mode on ID.4 would solely be relying on the RWD (basically makes it an RWD with 600 lbs dead weight upfront). It's why they got such few penalties on AWD ranges. Does it mean if your accelerator all the way to the floor it still won't use the front motor?

I'm just curious: 1. what mode you guys would be using the most; 2. do you need to switch mode when needed; 3. if so, how often do you need to switch mode?

One example with my current sonata hybrid, which has about 178hp engine and about 40hp motor, I found most time ECO is good enough for me. If I need to speed up and merge from light or so, I'll switch to Sport. It makes a quite big difference that the throttle response and steering are both faster. But even in ECO, if you step gas all the way it gives you the full power. So I found myself rarely using the Normal mode. I didn't really test the ECO mode acceleration on my AWD ID.4 test drive.

On the RWD ID.4 test drive, I noticed that the Sport mode doesn't make much difference compared to the Comfort mode. Actually, the Comfort mode feels accelerating faster than Sport on a slippery after rained road. I did notice that the front of the AWD ID.4 felt a bit heavier and the steering feels less agile. But I didn't recall if the Sport makes any difference on that.
Pro RWD: always put it in eco when I start it up but not for economy. Fast acceleration hurts my neck. My hot-rodding days ended in my twenties. 0-60 in ten seconds is plenty fast enough for me. I’ve never had a problem merging, even in cars with tiny engines.

·
175 Posts
Today I noticed, when in ECO mode and "D", even while coasting (no foot on either pedal), the vehicle will apply a small amount of regen if you are approaching curves. It will show this in the IC green-bar indicator.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So it can regen when needed, but doesn't increase extra drag when not needed?

·
1,243 Posts
So it can regen when needed, but doesn't increase extra drag when not needed?
Correct, its all under software control. There is never "extra drag" since it can stop exciting the field and the front motor spins free.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Correct, its all under software control. There is never "extra drag" since it can stop exciting the field and the front motor spins free.
Guess that's what I've read comparing it to the permanent magnet motor that used on the rear and other vehicles

·
27 Posts
Must try sport.

But I am mostly in city stop and go.

But I like to burn people off at the lights from time to time.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
228 Posts
Comfort because the DCC is then perfect.
Sport when twisty corners are coming for a long stretch to stiff up the suspension
Individual with DCC on minimum for the real flying carpet bouncy ride feel if the roads are really uneven and so loose the suspension by.. alot.

also. EU only because DynamicChassisControl

·
45 Posts
If the front motor isn't powered at all, then it must still be turning . . . . assuming it's directly tied to the axle like the rear motor is. I would think that just a trickle of current always going to the front motor would reduce that drag and save energy, even though it's using just a tiny bit to keep the motor from being a drag. But . . . . I have no idea how VW designed their AWD setup
No, the front motor is an induction motor. (I'm no expert on this stuff, so I'll probably botch this explanation very badly, so everybody please pounce on anything and everything I get wrong! )

From what I understand, induction motors can free wheel without any current applied, because the magnets are "created" as needed electrically, vs. permanent magnet motors that need current applied to turn them.

While induction motors are a little less efficient when powered than permanent magnet motors, they're exponentially more efficient when not powered, because they have a near zero drag, making them ideal for use as drive wheels that only kick in when needed.

Sent from my LM-G900TM using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 47 Posts