Volkswagen ID Forum banner

White Steering Wheel Care / White Trim

12K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  BradPat 
#1 ·
Now that delivery of our 1st Editions is getting close, I'm wondering how hard it will be preventing the white leather steering wheel from becoming permanently discolored. Aside from dirt transfer which can reasonably be controlled, I'm wondering how fast & easy the white leather may discolor just from oxidation (sun, dust, age, etc.) or any normal hand lotions that you may use. I keep my cars for many years, so the last thing I want to see is a permanently discolored wheel that looks bad. The fact that white leather turns yellow over time isn't good, but I'm wondering with care how many years I could get out of it before it's noticeably yellow.

Anyone ever had to care for white leather in the past? ...and if so, any recommendations on products you found that work well for hindering oxidation or hand cream absorption?

I'm thinking you could cover it if gets bad enough, but no one wants to do that....and covering it early in it's life will probably just accelerate discoloration differences between covered and uncovered areas. It may not even be possible to cover without affecting 'hand on wheel' detection.

I'm also wondering how UV stable the white plastic will be on the interior trim parts so that they don't yellow either. I'm sure VW has tried their best but does anyone have any other VW vehicle references where white trim was used?

See less See more
#24 ·
Will the steering wheel capacitive touch sensor work if you are wearing gloves?

#26 ·
You won't know until you try. I can make the observation that they now make gloves that are designed to work with touchscreens (like a smartphone). I am not sure what it is that they do to make this work, but if your regular gloves are giving you trouble, then perhaps a pair of smartphone gloves would do the trick.

#37 ·
You should be wiping down a black interior just as much as a white one. (Ideally, monthly) Black steering wheels that are glossy mean they've never been cleaned - the wheel should be matte. Getting a black interior over white because of dirt concerns just says "I don't clean my interior, and I don't want to clean my interior."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.