Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Kona Electric lease that is wrapping up and I am considering both the ID4 and Mustang Mach-E.

Just curious to hear from owners why you picked the ID4 over the competition.

FWIW, I do have an ID4 on order, but I am worried it may not be fast enough for my wants. I don’t need the fastest car on the road, but I’ve gotten quite used to the peppiness of my Kona EV which has me also considering the Mach-E.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
128 Posts
Coming from a FWD/AWD ICE, the ID.4 is peppy, turns very sharply, and rides like a well-balanced RWD car.

If your #1 check-list item is peppiness, then I'd look at spending more for the Mach-E.

If you want more comfortable seats, faster acceleration than most ICE, VW quirks, go with the ID.4.

Visuals are a personal issue - I like the lines of the ID.4 better.

·
37 Posts
I test drove both the ID.4 and most basic Mach E. I wanted more power than the ID.4 and expected the Mach E to deliver, but it didn't. I'm not sure if the car is technically faster or not, but it certainly didn't FEEL faster.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
393 Posts
Have you driven an ID.4? It's peppy, and you'll find due to rear wheel drive, it's much better mannered than the Kona.

The styling of the Mach-E didn't appeal to me, which of course is personal, but of particular note was the huge hood. EVs don't need a V8-sized hood.

Although I'm envious of the Mach-E's sizable frunk, I'd rather have the short front end, retractable roof shade, and more practical rear end.

And getting back to speed / pep, by all reviewer accounts the ID.4 gets higher marks for handling characteristics.

·
37 Posts
Have you driven an ID.4? It's peppy, and you'll find due to rear wheel drive, it's much better mannered than the Kona.

The styling of the Mach-E didn't appeal to me, which of course is personal, but of particular note was the huge hood. EVs don't need a V8-sized hood.

Although I'm envious of the Mach-E's sizable frunk, I'd rather have the short front end, retractable roof shade, and more practical rear end.

And getting back to speed / pep, by all reviewer accounts the ID.4 gets higher marks for handling characteristics.
I can personally vouch for this, the ID.4 handled better. The Mach E wallowed a bit in directional changes.
Really the only thing I liked about the Mach E was the fact it has a frunk.

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I did indeed take a 1st Edition for a spin yesterday. I found the power delivery to be very sedate. Coming from the Kona EV (or our Bolt) it felt much heavier and noticeably slower. It is heavier of course, but it really felt it.

With that said, I liked the styling and lower NVH levels, pano roof, and comfortable seats. I also loved the display quality (great black levels/brightness/contrast).

I would wait for the AWD variant, but time is of the essence. I feel like maybe I should have pushed it more on my drive but I didn’t want to scare the salesman. Maybe the pedal is just calibrated differently than our cars (both the Bolt and Kona seem to give you 75-80% power while only pressing down on the pedal 1/3 of the way).

In the end, acceleration is not the most important factor for me in a DD, but combined with the lackluster audio system it does give me pause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk lol

·
393 Posts
My daily is an i3, which is a rocket off the line but not sure-footed in twisties. I expected to be disappointed by the ID.4, but found it sufficient. I know that's not a glowing appraisal, but I have zero problem getting up to speed or jockying for a gap on an on-ramp. But you probably owe yourself a Mach-E test drive, or if you really want to be wowed, a Polestar 2 (absolutely fantastic).

·
ID.4 FE GW
269 Posts
One of my major requirements was good interior cargo capacity including a somewhat-square back to allow fairly long and tall objects. I think that the ID.4 beats the Model Y, Mustang Mach-E, Kia, Kona, etc. in that area.

·
31 Posts
When you test drove the car, did you use the Sport mode? When I test drove, they had the car set to Eco mode which was very polite and sedate. Switching to the Sport mode gave me more than I need. But, that is an issue of personal taste. I'm not sure why people need 3 or 4 second zero-to-sixty acceleration for normal driving. Yes, it's a buzz to experience that every now and then, but not something needed for daily driving. However, I realize that is more important to some people than it is to me. VW has been very up-front about their target market. The ID4 is not designed for speed demons.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
314 Posts
I did indeed take a 1st Edition for a spin yesterday. I found the power delivery to be very sedate. Coming from the Kona EV (or our Bolt) it felt much heavier and noticeably slower. It is heavier of course, but it really felt it.

With that said, I liked the styling and lower NVH levels, pano roof, and comfortable seats. I also loved the display quality (great black levels/brightness/contrast).

I would wait for the AWD variant, but time is of the essence. I feel like maybe I should have pushed it more on my drive but I didn’t want to scare the salesman. Maybe the pedal is just calibrated differently than our cars (both the Bolt and Kona seem to give you 75-80% power while only pressing down on the pedal 1/3 of the way).

In the end, acceleration is not the most important factor for me in a DD, but combined with the lackluster audio system it does give me pause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk lol
I came from a Bolt to our ID.4. It's absolutely noticeable that it's not quite as quick as the Bolt, and the Bolt in Sport mode has quite nice pedal response (not quite as twitchy/instant as Tesla, but pretty close imo), while the ID.4 even in Sport mode can still feel like it has a little too much artificial delay in pedal response for my taste, and it seems that you don't get all of the torque without pushing the pedal down a lot farther.

That said, the ID.4 is still definitely peppy, and has plenty of power for any normal traffic situations. Unless you're constantly alternating between both an ID.4 and something smaller/quicker like a Bolt, I don't think it will be an issue for you.

Did you make sure the ID.4 wasn't in Eco mode during your test drive? That's been an issue for quite a few people.

·
10 Posts
I drove both before I ordered my ID4. I found the Mach E to have a very choppy, which made it almost hard to drive on rough roads. ID 4 was very smooth, and the back massage for the passengers was a big sales point for my wife.

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you make sure the ID.4 wasn't in Eco mode during your test drive? That's been an issue for quite a few people.
I did have it in Sport mode as this was my first thought as well.

It almost seems like VW is limiting power off the line to make it feel more like a traditional/gas powered car. Even our old, much slower 2017 Soul EV felt peppier from 0-10mph.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
909 Posts
Six pages worth of why’s. ;)

·
58 Posts
See Huey52's link above for the long list.

A short list vs the competition that I tried - only the Teslas and Mach-E.

Tesla: If you want raw acceleration and like a track-car ride, Tesla is for you. The Model Y in particular has a very, very tight ride. Tesla has a better handle on software and charging, they've had a decade to get ahead. Their audio is light-years ahead of the ID.4. But Teslas don't have any info in front of you, this is a huge detriment if you're going to be using the automation. The ID.4 has a much nicer ride. I find the ID.4 power curve to be much more suited to daily driving. I find the space inside the car to be much more usable in the ID.4. I can't imagine having little ones in the back of a Model Y, it's just punishing. I know others do it just fine, that's just me. And fit and finish on my ID.4 is just excellent, and I'm picky. I got anxious just thinking about dealing with fit and finish on a Tesla.

Mach-E: It's just a huge car, with not a lot of extra room inside. I found it to be nice and compliant, but the seat material was just...vinyl-y. Yea, that's a word now. I don't like the Mach-E packages. I did like the screen in front of the driver, although there was tons of wasted space there. The center screen just seems like Ford decided to fit the biggest screen they could in there. It's too much, although they did what appears to be a nice job with the software. The volume knob is a nice touch, done remarkably cheaply. It has plenty of power, and can be more sprightly than the ID.4 if that's your thing. The Mach-E was...fine. But like the comparison to the Tesla, I find the ID.4 ride to be a bit nicer, and the interior space to be more usable. I find the ID.4 to be a much nicer space to sit in. I didn't really try the audio in the Mach-E.

Both: If you live anywhere where the temperature gets above about 80 degrees or so, the power sunshade in the ID.4 wins hands-down. You can get clip-in shades for the Model 3, and they're fine. You can get clip-in shades for the Model Y, but the one-piece roof means that the shade is huge and will tend to sag. When I looked for the Mach-E, it was the same as the Model Y. Huge one-piece roof, no supports. Good luck on a hot day.

My order of preference among the four: ID.4, Tesla Model 3, Mach-E, Tesla Model Y. If money were no object, I think the Model S would slot in there nicely...but then so would the upcoming Audis. If I got a Model 3 I'd be looking for aftermarket shocks ASAP - and I might do that for my ID.4 but it's fine as-is.

·
200 Posts
What it came down to for me is that the ID.4 really doesn't have any serious downside. Every other (non-Tesla) car has at least one deal breaker. (e.g. slow fast charging that makes the car impossible to drive long distances, or bad seats in the old Bolt).

Handling is excellent and while not as fast as a Tesla, it's fast enough to get irritated by slow gas cars on the freeway (the way it should be) ;)

You will have to learn to live with a mediocre sound system (especially compared to the excellent Tesla system) though, and the infotainment system is a hot mess. I'm sure they'll fix the insanely slow response times, but I would be surprised if are able/willing to fix all the obvious UX issues. I still don't know how to turn off the radio for instance. Also: dealers suck. These issues weren't dealbreakers for me in the end. It's a great car.

·
25 Posts
Vs Model Y: the ID.4 is much cheaper, especially after the tax credit. And I think it looks way better, and feels more comfortable and better built. I don't need the rocketship acceleration. And I'll do 95% of my charging at home so the Supercharger network isn't that big an advantage.

Vs Mach-E: It's much closer here on price. Except the 230 mile range of the base version is just a hair too short for me given a particular run I need to make in the winter, so I'd need to step up to Premium and extended battery, and now we're back to at least $7000 more. And overall I just think the feel of the ID.4 fits my personality better. I'm not a sports-car guy. The Mach-E turns heads, which is a negative in my book.

Vs Kia or Hyundai: They won't sell me one.

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for their feedback.

After weighing all the factors I feel that the ID.4 is the best fit for me. Especially once you factor in the free EA charging. I sat in the Mach-E today and did not care for the visibility or giant center screen which intrudes on knee room a bit.

I do wonder though about possibly installing an underseat subwoofer to help the wimpy/flat sounding audio. It’s the only thing that I think really might bug me long term. The slightly slower acceleration I will get used to, but I enjoy listening to music to unwind and don’t know if my ears will fully adjust to the lackluster audio system.

·
393 Posts
I do wonder though about possibly installing an underseat subwoofer to help the wimpy/flat sounding audio. It’s the only thing that I think really might bug me long term.
You're in luck!

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're in luck!

Thanks!

Now I just need to decide on a color. I picked moonstone grey for now when placing the deposit, but I am unsure since I haven’t seen this color in person.

Decisions, decisions. LOL

1 - 20 of 45 Posts