Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
36 Posts
My view of the stereo in the ID4 -- yes, I've heard better audio systems in cars, but the ID4 system isn't bad. My audio reference point is acoustic music on my home system -- three-dimensional imaging, clarity and naturalness are my goals. High volume and loud bass are not.

While my home system isn't crazy expensive, I've spent a lot of years in the audio hobby and have things the way I like them. It is completely unrealistic to expect any car system to get there, especially with road noise while the car is in motion. The ID4 is quiet -- for a car -- but that is not "at home" quiet, and music playback is not the primary goal of any car's interior acoustic environment. Therefore, with those caveats, I'm not bothered by the ID4's stereo.

·
63 Posts
As to the stereo system, I know that my hearing isn’t good enough for fine distinctions. So there is no point basing my purchase decisions on it.

·
217 Posts
Thanks!

Now I just need to decide on a color. I picked moonstone grey for now when placing the deposit, but I am unsure since I haven’t seen this color in person.

Decisions, decisions. LOL
I saw a pro (or pro S, not sure) in moonstone grey today. It looks great, especially when the side and roof are black (instead of silver like on the 1st). It looks very different from the FE, which I have only seen in blue so far. If I had known the Pro would ship at the same time as the FE, I might have ordered the grey with black steering wheel.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
454 Posts
From Why I am buying a Volkswagen ID.4

“I had been following electric vehicles for some time, especially what Tesla has been doing in this space, and how they changed the perception and desirability of electric cars. That research intensified significantly over the past 1 1/2 years. At the same time, quite a number of interesting electric vehicles were announced that could serve our use case really well. Namely, Tesla Model Y, Ford Mustang Mach E, Volkswagen’s ID.3 and ID.4, Nissan Ariya, and also the Kia Niro EV and its sibling Hyundai Kona, and the Nissan Leaf+.

What I want from an electric vehicle: Built on a modern, from the ground up electric platform, thermal battery management, a range of 250 miles, DC fast charging at 100 kW or better, over the air updates, and the above mentioned versatility.
ID4 First Edition ticked all my boxes: Rear-wheel drive MEB platform, 77 kWh battery, 125 kW DC fast charging, 250 miles estimated range, 3 years of free charging at Electrify America. On top of that, really good looks inside and out, a panoramic glass roof, heated seats and steering wheel, a lot of driver-assist functions, and a host of other upgrades at $43,995 plus delivery charge. It took me one minute to pull the trigger on a reservation.”

·
Dusk Blue FE
79 Posts
I agree with everything ChristophW said and, coming from a Bolt to an ID.4, I agree with theboomr's performance comparison. One other criterion that has not got a lot of attention: how much room do you have in the garage? The Bolt was dowdy but I loved the size and form factor. The ID.4 is a good bit longer but still fits handily in my garage. The MachE is 10 inches longer than the ID.4 without the benefit of more usable space inside.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
335 Posts
I agree with everything ChristophW said and, coming from a Bolt to an ID.4, I agree with theboomr's performance comparison. One other criterion that has not got a lot of attention: how much room do you have in the garage? The Bolt was dowdy but I loved the size and form factor. The ID.4 is a good bit longer but still fits handily in my garage. The MachE is 10 inches longer than the ID.4 without the benefit of more usable space inside.
Yeah, that was one thing that always turned me off the Mach-E and Tesla Model 3/Y whenever I started second guessing the ID.4, I would go look at dimensions and remember that I really didn't want anything longer than the ID.4. It's just about the longest that will fit in my garage easily with walking room around it without having to move storage around, and only a tiny bit longer than the Alltrack I traded in.

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
FYI…the Mach E is 186” long and the ID.4 is 181”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
217 Posts
I saw a pro (or pro S, not sure) in moonstone grey today. It looks great, especially when the side and roof are black (instead of silver like on the 1st). It looks very different from the FE, which I have only seen in blue so far. If I had known the Pro would ship at the same time as the FE, I might have ordered the grey with black steering wheel.
Actually, in hindsight I don't think I saw a Moonstone Grey. I just checked the VW configuration page, and it I now think I saw the Scale Silver. It's really stunning. My partner (who isn't a car person) noticed it first. It really stood out. Scale Silver might be the best looking color available in the US.

·
15 Posts
  • 5k cheaper than mach e/model y
  • 250mile range is my magic number
  • additional 7.5k tax credit
  • I believe the hardware quality will be better than tesla
  • I think they'll be useless software wise and slow to update, but are taking it seriously and will come right within a year.

I expect a bunch of bugs, and clumsy charging network compared to tesla. For me the value proposition is so good I'm willing to endure that.

·
23 Posts
I use my id4 primarily for trips to Home Depot to pickup 2x4s and other largish objects.

The seats flip down very easy...much easier than my Tiguan used to. It is a simple flip of a latch and a push to fall flat vs the Tiguan which required pulling a hidden cord and then having to adjust the front seat forward in order to squeeze past it to lie flat.
Lastly, some trips to the mulch center or for larger projects require pulling my 8 foot utility trailer. Having the tow hitch and required lighting cabling standard is great....not sure if the Mach-e has an option for towing...

·
18 Posts
I currently have a Kona Electric lease that is wrapping up and I am considering both the ID4 and Mustang Mach-E.

Just curious to hear from owners why you picked the ID4 over the competition.

FWIW, I do have an ID4 on order, but I am worried it may not be fast enough for my wants. I don’t need the fastest car on the road, but I’ve gotten quite used to the peppiness of my Kona EV which has me also considering the Mach-E.

I had my ID4 since March 10th. It is very well made, fun to drive, and just gives me joy. Also, the actual range I get is HIGHER than the quoted EPA range, 270 to 280 miles, and that is another plus.

·
ID.4 1st blue
118 Posts
I did indeed take a 1st Edition for a spin yesterday. I found the power delivery to be very sedate. Coming from the Kona EV (or our Bolt) it felt much heavier and noticeably slower. It is heavier of course, but it really felt it.
I'll say this about my ID4, the speed is sneaky. Our other car is a Kia Soul EV and it definitely "feels" peppier despite an 11 sec 0-60 time. I think size and weight have a lot to do with that. But I've found the ID 4 is both plenty fast for real world needs but also much faster than it feels. It's the kind of car that you think is doing 30 when you are really doing 50. So yeah, it's not designed to feel sporty but I LOVE how smooth, comfortable and refined the drive is.

Also, don't discount the turning radius. I gladly trade the frunk space for being able to park easily and flip turns so fast. It really is incredible.

·
82 Posts

I would wait for the AWD variant, but time is of the essence. I feel like maybe I should have pushed it more on my drive but I didn’t want to scare the salesman. Maybe the pedal is just calibrated differently than our cars (both the Bolt and Kona seem to give you 75-80% power while only pressing down on the pedal 1/3 of the way).

In the end, acceleration is not the most important factor for me in a DD, but combined with the lackluster audio system it does give me pause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk lol
I was also wanting more on the acceleration front, but unfortunately the AWD is more than I want to budget for my wife's car. LOL.

I just test drove the Bolt yesterday, and it definitely feels punchier.

As far as scaring the salesperson, I find that if you give them advance notice, they actually say " oh sure, go ahead ". I warn them each time I floor it and especially when testing the brakes.

·
121 Posts
Have you driven an ID.4? It's peppy, and you'll find due to rear wheel drive, it's much better mannered than the Kona.

The styling of the Mach-E didn't appeal to me, which of course is personal, but of particular note was the huge hood. EVs don't need a V8-sized hood.

Although I'm envious of the Mach-E's sizable frunk, I'd rather have the short front end, retractable roof shade, and more practical rear end.

And getting back to speed / pep, by all reviewer accounts the ID.4 gets higher marks for handling characteristics.
We have had our id.4 for 2 weeks now. It is a great car. The ride, the comfort the technology is all great. We haven’t had any software issues, and it is fun to drive. The range is good, depending on how we drive it we are getting anywhere from 240 to 260 miles on 80% charge. We have juicebox 40 level 2 charger at home. It’s takes about 4.5 hours to charger from 20% to 80%. The car drives like a dream and the turning radius is unbelievable. Some have complained about the stereo sound, my wife and I find it to be really good. I didn’t like the Mustang, it was stiff and didn’t handle as well. Didn’t seem to be built as sturdy either.

·
1 Posts
I currently have a Kona Electric lease that is wrapping up and I am considering both the ID4 and Mustang Mach-E.

Just curious to hear from owners why you picked the ID4 over the competition.

FWIW, I do have an ID4 on order, but I am worried it may not be fast enough for my wants. I don’t need the fastest car on the road, but I’ve gotten quite used to the peppiness of my Kona EV which has me also considering the Mach-E.

I have had the ID 4 for over a week it is by far the best car I have driven and is very quick. The car is priceless good value for the money and I would give 10/10

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
454 Posts
I'll say this about my ID4, the speed is sneaky. Our other car is a Kia Soul EV and it definitely "feels" peppier despite an 11 sec 0-60 time. I think size and weight have a lot to do with that. But I've found the ID 4 is both plenty fast for real world needs but also much faster than it feels. It's the kind of car that you think is doing 30 when you are really doing 50. So yeah, it's not designed to feel sporty but I LOVE how smooth, comfortable and refined the drive is.
I second that! My sense is that VW did us a real favor here by tempering the instant punch when you hit the Go pedal. From what I gather on the internet, many EV drivers go through tires like underwear (or almost), and I think this has to do with the instant punch and sometimes spinning the wheels (like on a Kona). We are saved from that, and my wallet will be much happier.
Also, don't discount the turning radius. I gladly trade the frunk space for being able to park easily and flip turns so fast. It really is incredible.
Amen!

Reactions: PGilly

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
457 Posts
... VW did us a real favor here by tempering the instant punch when you hit the Go pedal.
The first iteration of the BMW i3 used motor mounts that had a habit of breaking and sometimes causing carnage. BMW quickly redesigned the mount, but also fiddled wth the software to mellow the torque curve. I point this out only acknowledge that there are tremendous forces at play, and a plus side for the ID.4's more laid back performance is possibly better longevity, fewer mechanical problems down the road. Pure speculation of course, but assuming the car was engineered with the 300HP variant in mind, that ought to put us RWD pleebs in a good place once we're outside of warranty.

Reactions: Huey52

·
335 Posts
I second that! My sense is that VW did us a real favor here by tempering the instant punch when you hit the Go pedal. From what I gather on the internet, many EV drivers go through tires like underwear (or almost), and I think this has to do with the instant punch and sometimes spinning the wheels (like on a Kona). We are saved from that, and my wallet will be much happier.

Amen!
I just wish there were the option to tighten up the accelerator response, though :/ I don't want to spin tires constantly but I would really enjoy having the pedal respond near-instantly. My Bolt was very responsive in Sport mode and I still never spun the tires unless I was really trying to, and after 39 months the tires were no more worn than I would've expected normally.

·
399 Posts
I just wish there were the option to tighten up the accelerator response, though :/ I don't want to spin tires constantly but I would really enjoy having the pedal respond near-instantly. My Bolt was very responsive in Sport mode and I still never spun the tires unless I was really trying to, and after 39 months the tires were no more worn than I would've expected normally.
It could be power to weight ratio because the Bolt is 1000 pounds lighter and the same 200hp.

Reactions: theboomr

·
335 Posts
It could be power to weight ratio because the Bolt is 1000 pounds lighter and the same 200hp.
Yes, that's definitely part of it of course, but even then, it's like I can feel the torque "catch up" to where I've put the pedal a split second later. Basically exactly what an ICE car feels like when you push down the pedal. Obviously the entire drive train is the reason why it's like that with ICE, but programming an EV to feel that way is...annoying. Like I said, I just want it to be an option. I understand the goal of converting existing ICE drivers, and it makes sense with that goal in mind, but a non-default setting like Sport mode should bypass that.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts