Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
ID.4 1st blue
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had a chance now to drive both the Model Y and ID 4 and Mach-E in the past few weeks. I'm sticking with the ID 4 and mine will hopefully be delivered this week.

I found the VW the best driving of the three by far. I was actually very unhappy with the road feel and handling of the Ford. It was fine at highway speeds but that long front end was annoying in tight spaces and I found the cornering at higher speeds to be poor. It didn't hold it's line. The Model Y was better than the Ford but the ride was harsh on bumpy roads. It was more sporty than the VW but that's not what I'm looking for. The ID 4 felt great in both slower city driving but on some winding roads it really felt great and predictable. It was extremely well balanced between comfort and fun. Obviously, the ID 4 had the slowest acceleration of the three but I don't need to fly off the line and it felt smooth and got up to speed faster than I'll need in most cases and passed well and jumped into a gap in traffic easily. Of the three, the VW and Tesla were close with the VW being better for my preference for comfort over sport and the Ford I actively disliked which surprised me. It was the one car I did not want to drive again.

Regen set up on the VW was perfect for me (and this is my 4th EV or PHEV). Tesla removed the option to have a lower regen setting and its current set up is too aggressive. It's hard to modulate easily which is especially unpleasant for passengers. The Ford has either full regen turned on or no regen. The B mode in the VW felt very smooth. The car decelerated without having a harsh reaction to lifting off the pedal. It felt great to me and is exact where I like it. Again, comfort over sport.

I really like that the VW is six inches shorter than the Tesla but has similar interior space and more rear cargo space thanks to the squared off rear end. The super tight turning on the ID 4 was great and will be very handy parking the car. It felt and hauled big and drove small which exactly what I want.

I found the front and rear seats on the Ford to be uncomfortable. The driver seat base doesn't tilt so there's no thigh support at all and the back seat base felt smallish and too firm. The Tesla seats were the best. A great balance between soft and supportive and my 14 y/o daughter said the rear seats were like pillows. The ID 4 front seats are highly adjustable and the massage function is great. I liked them a lot but not as much as the Tesla.

As for the screens and computers I actually like the VW more. It will take some learning of course but I think it will be more intuitive and easy to use than the other two. I had no idea what to expect from the haptic steering wheel controls and was surprised how good they felt. I really felt a click and think it will take no time to use the systems with ease. I didn't see any lag on the screen in the ID 4 but I also didn't fully test it. I'm buying a car not a laptop and the ability to do updates makes more comfortable with where it's at. I think the Tesla would be harder to learn (and especially for my wife who isn't good with that stuff) and I don't need "fart mode" or games. I liked the Ford's tech systems a lot more than Tesla. The sound system in the VW was the worst of the three but that's not an issue for me and if it were I'd still go with the VW and do an aftermarket upgrade.

The Ford was very beautiful to look at while the Tesla I find ugly (especially the rear of the car). The VW is the least ostentatious which is exactly what I want. I not only don't want a flashy car I would be embarrassed to drive one. And while I don't like Elon and his lunacy I would have gone with a Model Y if I liked the driving feel more than the VW but the ID 4 really nailed it for me. The handling and overall driving experience was brilliant. It's the one car I'm looking forward to driving more and will be the easiest and most comfortable and still be fun when that's called for. The lack of rear seat heating in the ID 4 is probably my biggest complaint but my kid can suck it up :)

Oh, and I'm less worried about the white steering wheel on the 1st Ed. after seeing it in person. It's not super bright white and has a slight grey tint so I think it will hold up well with some regular cleaning and maybe a leather protectant.

Overall, I think the ID 4 is a great car and trust VW will continue to make improvements. As EVs become more popular I'm betting the VW will hold it's value well so I'm probably going to buy and not lease. But before I sign the papers I want to drive it again for at least 30 miles on a common route for me and spend more time w/ the screens. My biggest question is if might want to wait until 7-9 months for the AWD.

Here's the demo model we drove. My 1st Edition is blue :)

·
Mythos Black FE- Reservation January 13 (Previously Pro S), Jan 13, 9:45 AM PST
215 Posts
I agree, very thoughtful insight. I share some of your wants for an EV. Since I don't plan to do any street racing or bring more attention to myself with speed and flair, the ID4 works for me.

·
7 Posts
I haven't driven an ID4 yet, only seen it in person, but I definitely think that of the 3 but bites in the electric crossover space it will do the best job of stealing market share from ICE vehicles. Definitely looking forward to later in 2021 when we can replace my wife's 2018 BMW X1 with it. The X1 shouldn't have the BMW name attached to it IMO, it's a poor ride, not much pep, small, and a terrible tech experience, but whatever (freaking hate that car lol). The ID4 is just a nice mix of tech, styling, comfort and from what I've seen from reviews, a great ride/handling. My wife will love it 😁

I have a Mach E and freaking love it though. Might be because I'm comparing it to the X1 and a Fusion Energi, but it handles extremely well, is the most comfortable car I've owned, has some great tech, and is just fun to drive. I know the inclination is to pit the MY, ID4 and MME against each other, but I'm just happy that they're all great cars that will be eating into ICE sales for years to come 😁

·
ID.4 1st blue
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the inclination is to pit the MY, ID4 and MME against each other, but I'm just happy that they're all great cars that will be eating into ICE sales for years to come 😁
I couldn't agree more. All three cars are great in their own way. I should have said that. And it's fantastic there are more and more choices coming. As someone who bought their first battery car in 2005 (Prius Gen 2) I am so excited for all the great new cars this year. 2021 really is the year of the BEV.

·
2021 Chevy Bolt
56 Posts
I've had a chance now to drive both the Model Y and ID 4 and Mach-E in the past few weeks. I'm sticking with the ID 4 and mine will hopefully be delivered this week.

I found the VW the best driving of the three by far. I was actually very unhappy with the road feel and handling of the Ford. It was fine at highway speeds but that long front end was annoying in tight spaces and I found the cornering at higher speeds to be poor. It didn't hold it's line. The Model Y was better than the Ford but the ride was harsh on bumpy roads. It was more sporty than the VW but that's not what I'm looking for. The ID 4 felt great in both slower city driving but on some winding roads it really felt great and predictable. It was extremely well balanced between comfort and fun. Obviously, the ID 4 had the slowest acceleration of the three but I don't need to fly off the line and it felt smooth and got up to speed faster than I'll need in most cases and passed well and jumped into a gap in traffic easily. Of the three, the VW and Tesla were close with the VW being better for my preference for comfort over sport and the Ford I actively disliked which surprised me. It was the one car I did not want to drive again.

Regen set up on the VW was perfect for me (and this is my 4th EV or PHEV). Tesla removed the option to have a lower regen setting and its current set up is too aggressive. It's hard to modulate easily which is especially unpleasant for passengers. The Ford has either full regen turned on or no regen. The B mode in the VW felt very smooth. The car decelerated without having a harsh reaction to lifting off the pedal. It felt great to me and is exact where I like it. Again, comfort over sport.

I really like that the VW is six inches shorter than the Tesla but has similar interior space and more rear cargo space thanks to the squared off rear end. The super tight turning on the ID 4 was great and will be very handy parking the car. It felt and hauled big and drove small which exactly what I want.

I found the front and rear seats on the Ford to be uncomfortable. The driver seat base doesn't tilt so there's no thigh support at all and the back seat base felt smallish and too firm. The Tesla seats were the best. A great balance between soft and supportive and my 14 y/o daughter said the rear seats were like pillows. The ID 4 front seats are highly adjustable and the massage function is great. I liked them a lot but not as much as the Tesla.

As for the screens and computers I actually like the VW more. It will take some learning of course but I think it will be more intuitive and easy to use than the other two. I had no idea what to expect from the haptic steering wheel controls and was surprised how good they felt. I really felt a click and think it will take no time to use the systems with ease. I didn't see any lag on the screen in the ID 4 but I also didn't fully test it. I'm buying a car not a laptop and the ability to do updates makes more comfortable with where it's at. I think the Tesla would be harder to learn (and especially for my wife who isn't good with that stuff) and I don't need "fart mode" or games. I liked the Ford's tech systems a lot more than Tesla. The sound system in the VW was the worst of the three but that's not an issue for me and if it were I'd still go with the VW and do an aftermarket upgrade.

The Ford was very beautiful to look at while the Tesla I find ugly (especially the rear of the car). The VW is the least ostentatious which is exactly what I want. I not only don't want a flashy car I would be embarrassed to drive one. And while I don't like Elon and his lunacy I would have gone with a Model Y if I liked the driving feel more than the VW but the ID 4 really nailed it for me. The handling and overall driving experience was brilliant. It's the one car I'm looking forward to driving more and will be the easiest and most comfortable and still be fun when that's called for. The lack of rear seat heating in the ID 4 is probably my biggest complaint but my kid can suck it up :)

Oh, and I'm less worried about the white steering wheel on the 1st Ed. after seeing it in person. It's not super bright white and has a slight grey tint so I think it will hold up well with some regular cleaning and maybe a leather protectant.

Overall, I think the ID 4 is a great car and trust VW will continue to make improvements. As EVs become more popular I'm betting the VW will hold it's value well so I'm probably going to buy and not lease. But before I sign the papers I want to drive it again for at least 30 miles on a common route for me and spend more time w/ the screens. My biggest question is if might want to wait until 7-9 months for the AWD.

View attachment 1805
Great review. Good insight and comparison 👍🏻

·
2021 Chevy Bolt
56 Posts
The Mache-E has very narrow tires for a vehicle of its size and weight. 225 at the rear compared to 255 for the ID. No wonder the ID4 was better to drive.
Yup. Alex on Autos talked about this. The VW has big fat tires, enabling better handling.

·
411 Posts
Good insight on all three. I agree, I drove the Ford, the Tesla, and the Volvo C40 and decided to order the ID4. Everyone has a different opinion, but I think the ID4 should be car of the year!

·
1st Edition
208 Posts
Thank you, very insightful and honest.

My wife also pointed out that the steering wheel is grey and not white ;)

·
411 Posts
Thank you, very insightful and honest.

My wife also pointed out that the steering wheel is grey and not white ;)
I have learned that wives see things differently. The one I drove, the steering wheel and some accents were white. I ordered one with a black interior.

·
ID.4 1st blue
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The one I drove, the steering wheel and some accents were white.
Let's call them a grey-ish tinted white :)

As I learned recently picking out a new bathroom vanity and countertop there's many shades of white.

·
411 Posts

As I learned recently picking out a new bathroom vanity and countertop there's many shades of white.
Here is a section of the window sticker. Notice line seven! Enough said!

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts

I thought it was more a white-ish tinted grey.

·
7 Posts

View attachment 1805

View attachment 1805
Good read, I enjoy seeing people’s varied perspectives on the ID.4 and other mainstream EV’s. I think ultimately it’s a matter of personal preferences. Time will tell which best stand the test of wear and tear longevity. Here’s my thoughts having owning both the Mustang Mach E and the VW ID.4.

First, Ford MME advantages… Ford Sync 4 and large screens are MUCH better than what the ID.4 has going on. I mean I can’t even see a readout of the odometer on the ID.4! The Mach E has a standard garage door opener not standard on the ID4. Ford has a 99.8KW (88KW useable) battery which goes 270+ miles, ID.4 has 82KW (77KW useable) for 250 miles. The Mach E has both UV and Infrared Radiation (heat protection) on its glass roof making a much cooler cabin in the sun, VW you can feel the heat from the sun. The Mach E has a front trunk for extra storage, not so on the ID.4. The Mach E comes with a level 2 charger that can use 240volts/32 amp for much faster home charging, the ID.4 only comes with level 1 charger that will get you 3 - 4 miles an hour the level 2 will cost you an extra $800! Ford has some actual dedicated physical buttons where it makes sense, ID.4 uses touch sensors almost exclusively which don’t always register. And what is the deal with not having all 4 dedicated window controls on the drivers side door?? Strange. The Mach E has a feature filled Phone application (Ford Pass) and can use your phone as a key, the ID.4 (Car Net) can only show battery status, climate control, and charger locations. The Mach E has dedicated charging indicator lights with visual representation of battery charge level and disconnect button inside the charge port door, the ID.4 only has an indicator light showing if the vehicle is charging. And why doesn’t the ID light across the dash stay lit the entire time while charging (it would be an advantage for the ID.4 if it did - seems like a miss). The Mach E has much more soft and comfortable seats versus the ID.4, yes this is opinion but very noticeable. Placement of the AC vents on the Mach E are much more useable and can be directed toward your face, they are too low on the ID.4 and can’t quite be adjusted to blow upward toward a taller driver.

The few advantages for the ID.4 are that it has seat massagers, a retractable roof shade, towing capability (2,200 lbs), adaptive headlights with cornering, and 3 years of free charging and overall lower price (which is why I chose the ID.4).

However, I would highly recommend the Ford Mach E over the VW ID.4 for anyone that can spend $55k for the Ford Mach E over the $45k for the VW ID.4. You can tell Ford took their time with developing their first full EV for the masses versus Volkswagen who seems to have rushed its development and release. Both are competent EV’s but Ford’s advantages/premium features make it a much more compelling vehicle. I have taken long road trips in both. Just watch some professional reviews and they will confirm much of what I’ve stated here.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
963 Posts
Just watch some professional reviews and they will confirm much of what I’ve stated here.
It seems like much of what you have stated here is repeated from "professional reviews." edit: In retrospect I recognize you're writing this as an owner of both vehicles, which gives you a unique vantage vs a reviewer or the majority of us who certainly don't have the ability to make this comparison with the same level of day-to-day familiarity. I reread my original comments with that in mind and I believe they're still fair.

Not to nit-pick you too much, because people should drive what they like, and I doubt very many ID.4 owners just willy-nilly jumped into this without cross-shopping the competition. Don't forget the Polestars and the Volvos out there, either.

You dismiss the $10k or even $15k price difference as if it's not a factor, but then complain about having to buy a L2 charger? What benefit is it to a Mach E owner to have a 32A EVSE included if the owner doesn't have the wiring ready to plug it in to? How many will choose only a 32 amp installation with a battery this large? They'll opt for 40 amps or 48 instead. VW's included EVSE is intended to be used anywhere there's a 120 volt outlet, I'm sure with the full expectation that owners will come up with their own charging routines.

The window switch? Really? I truly don't understand the hang up on this. I hate when I drive my work Tahoe and accidentally hit the rear window switch instead of the front. How many of us roll down our rear windows with any regularity that VW's "novel" layout deserves all the negative attention it receives by the press? Yeah, it's different, but I don't think I'm in the minority of those who don't think it's noteworthy. Car reviewers talk about it because it's something to talk about.

Yeah, I'd like a space under the hood to store the charging equipment, but on the other hand, the Mach E is unnecessarily longer than the ID.4. In the city, parking is at a premium. The length of the ID.4 was a consideration for us. Why an EV needs an ICE-sized hood like the Mach E, I don't know.

I believe that EV buyers should drive what's out there before making a buying decision. This forum has a few members who have vocally regretted their ID.4 purchases, and their posts further my suggestion. But I also believe the ID.4 is targeting a different consumer than the Mach E, and that's why there are so many satisfied ID.4 owners what with all the "performance" competition out there. I mean, honestly, our #2 choice was the Polestar, even despite the $20k+ price difference, but it lost out on minor practicality differences. Practicality goes a long way, but is also defined differently from buyer to buyer.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,584 Posts
I selected ID.4 for its cargo volume, yet CUV reasonable height/length practicality.
It's also a more comfortable, planted-yet maneuverable drive for me (I wanted to get away from prior sports coupe harshness).
I also didn't want to spend the Mach-E, Tesla, Volvo, Audi Q4 pricetag in my first foray into this Brave New World (even tho' a prior longtime Audi owner).
And although the ID.4 Infotainment could use some work compared say to Ford and Jeep, in my ol' school way I still buy a vehicle primarily for its driving manners and practicality.
So Yes, test driving the competitive options out there is always a good idea, as is to also map out your true needs vs. desires.

Bottom line tho' is it's good to have so many options these days and get what you need [even as you play the 'Stones tune in your head "you can't always get what you want ... you get what you need"]. ;)

·
150 Posts
Good read, I enjoy seeing people’s varied perspectives on the ID.4 and other mainstream EV’s. I think ultimately it’s a matter of personal preferences. Time will tell which best stand the test of wear and tear longevity. Here’s my thoughts having owning both the Mustang Mach E and the VW ID.4.

First, Ford MME advantages… Ford Sync 4 and large screens are MUCH better than what the ID.4 has going on. I mean I can’t even see a readout of the odometer on the ID.4! The Mach E has a standard garage door opener not standard on the ID4. Ford has a 99.8KW (88KW useable) battery which goes 270+ miles, ID.4 has 82KW (77KW useable) for 250 miles. The Mach E has both UV and Infrared Radiation (heat protection) on its glass roof making a much cooler cabin in the sun, VW you can feel the heat from the sun. The Mach E has a front trunk for extra storage, not so on the ID.4. The Mach E comes with a level 2 charger that can use 240volts/32 amp for much faster home charging, the ID.4 only comes with level 1 charger that will get you 3 - 4 miles an hour the level 2 will cost you an extra $800! Ford has some actual dedicated physical buttons where it makes sense, ID.4 uses touch sensors almost exclusively which don’t always register. And what is the deal with not having all 4 dedicated window controls on the drivers side door?? Strange. The Mach E has a feature filled Phone application (Ford Pass) and can use your phone as a key, the ID.4 (Car Net) can only show battery status, climate control, and charger locations. The Mach E has dedicated charging indicator lights with visual representation of battery charge level and disconnect button inside the charge port door, the ID.4 only has an indicator light showing if the vehicle is charging. And why doesn’t the ID light across the dash stay lit the entire time while charging (it would be an advantage for the ID.4 if it did - seems like a miss). The Mach E has much more soft and comfortable seats versus the ID.4, yes this is opinion but very noticeable. Placement of the AC vents on the Mach E are much more useable and can be directed toward your face, they are too low on the ID.4 and can’t quite be adjusted to blow upward toward a taller driver.

The few advantages for the ID.4 are that it has seat massagers, a retractable roof shade, towing capability (2,200 lbs), adaptive headlights with cornering, and 3 years of free charging and overall lower price (which is why I chose the ID.4).

However, I would highly recommend the Ford Mach E over the VW ID.4 for anyone that can spend $55k for the Ford Mach E over the $45k for the VW ID.4. You can tell Ford took their time with developing their first full EV for the masses versus Volkswagen who seems to have rushed its development and release. Both are competent EV’s but Ford’s advantages/premium features make it a much more compelling vehicle. I have taken long road trips in both. Just watch some professional reviews and they will confirm much of what I’ve stated here.
You are probably part of a very small set who own both a Mach e and an ID.4, so your comments bear some weight. Which EV has the best steering of those two?
I only ask because that's the one thing I'm having my doubts about on my Pro.
Also, which has the better outside mirrors? When I drove the Mach e I really disliked the outside mirrors (not wide enough), whereas the ID.4 has the best ones I've ever used.
I think you are right about the Mach e panoramic roof blocking more heat than the ID.4 roof with shade. My solution was just to get a Pro which has a steel roof. To get a Mach e with steel you have to accept a range of 230 miles as opposed to 260 for the Pro. Also, I'm still using my Siemens 30 amp EVSE that I used with my Bolt EV. It works fine for me as I typically only drive 150 miles per day. If I need to charge fast for some reason I just go to EA for free charging. As I only have the Pro now I've gotten used to the 3 button window switches. I only use them to crack the windows open when parked.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,584 Posts
Hmmmm .... I haven't driven the Mach-e but the ID.4's steering, especially the relatively small turning radius, never ceases to impress me.

You are probably part of a very small set who own both a Mach e and an ID.4, so your comments bear some weight. Which EV has the best steering of those two?
I only ask because that's the one thing I'm having my doubts about on my Pro.
Also, which has the better outside mirrors? When I drove the Mach e I really disliked the outside mirrors (not wide enough), whereas the ID.4 has the best ones I've ever used.
I think you are right about the Mach e panoramic roof blocking more heat than the ID.4 roof with shade. My solution was just to get a Pro which has a steel roof. To get a Mach e with steel you have to accept a range of 230 miles as opposed to 260 for the Pro. Also, I'm still using my Siemens 30 amp EVSE that I used with my Bolt EV. It works fine for me as I typically only drive 150 miles per day. If I need to charge fast for some reason I just go to EA for free charging. As I only have the Pro now I've gotten used to the 3 button window switches. I only use them to crack the windows open when parked.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts